Which Fish-finder?

Default Which Fish-finder?

Hi All,

Looking for an all-round fish/depth finder/sonar. Considering the Garmin Striker Vivid 7 or 9sv or Garmin EchoMap UHD 92sv.

Any recommendations?

Much appreciated.

Default Re: Which Fish-finder?

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi123 View Post
    Hi All,

Looking for an all-round fish/depth finder/sonar. Considering the Garmin Striker Vivid 7 or 9sv or Garmin EchoMap UHD 92sv.

Any recommendations?

Much appreciated.
    What is the main purpose of the unit? The Garmin units are quite intuitive/ easy to use. I fitted A Striker 7 Plus CV on my boat and I am looking at fitting a second SV unit. The striker range doesn't have the ability to take a SD card map but they can be loaded with maps from the Garmin Community and they are able to draw their own maps with quickdraw where a map of the dam/ reservoir is drawn as you traverse the water. I have an almost complete map of Maguga dam on mine for instance.

Nice features on the Striker units are a full colour screen, clear view or side view sonar that creates an almost photo like picture of the bottom. Shallow water alarm, GPS speed, water temp, quickdraw mapping, one touch waypoint marker, waypoint navigation and tracks, up to three different views on a single screen i.e. you can view the map, traditional sonar image as well as clear view/ side view at the same time. The plus versions also allow you to quickly connect to the unit via the active captain app in order for you to update firmware, load quickdraw maps from the community or upload saved maps to the community.

The Echomap units work similarly but have additional features such as an SD slot for loading store bought maps.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    What is the main purpose of the unit? The Garmin units are quite intuitive/ easy to use. I fitted A Striker 7 Plus CV on my boat and I am looking at fitting a second SV unit. The striker range doesn't have the ability to take a SD card map but they can be loaded with maps from the Garmin Community and they are able to draw their own maps with quickdraw where a map of the dam/ reservoir is drawn as you traverse the water. I have an almost complete map of Maguga dam on mine for instance.

Nice features on the Striker units are a full colour screen, clear view or side view sonar that creates an almost photo like picture of the bottom. Shallow water alarm, GPS speed, water temp, quickdraw mapping, one touch waypoint marker, waypoint navigation and tracks, up to three different views on a single screen i.e. you can view the map, traditional sonar image as well as clear view/ side view at the same time. The plus versions also allow you to quickly connect to the unit via the active captain app in order for you to update firmware, load quickdraw maps from the community or upload saved maps to the community.

The Echomap units work similarly but have additional features such as an SD slot for loading store bought maps.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Exactly the info I am looking for.

I was told never to touch anything other than Lowrance? I have had a garmin and a 2 lowrance units and to be honest one is much the same as the other. Lowrance, is just down the road from the Dbn Ski boat club and support a lot of their events, and perhaps that is why they heavily favour them?

Also you should consider, if you just want a depth meter, or fish finder or to link your engines and auto pilot and everything else in which case compatibility becomes more NB. Often your radio needs to pull its location from the GPS, sounder etc and you need to make sure everything works together.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post: