General Grabber Tread

Default General Grabber Tread

Does the General Grabber A3 tyre have a deeper tread than other tyres?
    I have an old Mazda Magnum 4x4 DC on my farm. The standard tyre size is 245/75/15 and I have always used them.
    I had a blowout last week and bought a new general Grabber A3 245/75/15.
    To my surprise it does not fit on the front of the bakkie as it rubs against the mudguard. I can only use this tyre on the back.
    A deeper tread (Thanks Spiceman) could be the cause as the Grabber seems to have a bigger outer diameter.
    Any comments?

Default Re: General Grabber Tread

Does it rub on both wheels and at the same point on both wheels. How good is your suspension and is bakie not bent in any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Does the General Grabber A3 tyre have a deeper tread than other tyres?
    I have an old Mazda Magnum 4x4 DC on my farm. The standard tyre size is 245/75/15 and I have always used them.
    I had a blowout last week and bought a new general Grabber A3 245/75/15.
    To my surprise it does not fit on the front of the bakkie as it rubs against the mudguard. I can only use this tyre on the back.
    A deeper tread (Thanks Spiceman) could be the cause as the Grabber seems to have a bigger outer diameter.
    Any comments?

I only have one of these tyres so it only rubs against the mudguard on that side.
    Other makes of tyres like Goodyear Wranglers do not rub against the mudguard.
    The bakkie could be a bit bent as it is old but then all makes of tyres would give this problem.
    The Grabber definitely has a bigger diameter.
    I was considering the Grabbers for my Hilux but now I am worried.

I replaced the Grabber AT2's with AT3's last year and found the same on our SUV. It rubbed a bit when they were new but, living not on a farm and driving a low clearance vehicle on tar roads it didn't bother us too much.

On the bakkie I fitted the same tyres roundabout the same time, but in this instance coming from BFG's but in this case I couldn't notice anything strange regarding clearance. It was pleasant though to not spin the rears at a traffic light when pulling away for a change, if I may add.

So to answer OP's question, I don't know if the AT3's have a larger circumference.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Maybe something bent damaged on the blowout? Perhaps alignment is out?

I got them for the Hardbody because the seem to do well in sand and I got them for under R1500, so i figured if I lose one it wont hurt as much, but they seem to be very soft.

Name:  Grabber.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  275.7 KB
    Jors Malan
    NP300 2.4 Petrol Donkey "workhorse" toy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

I can recall a thread where it was discussed that the way manufacturers measures the width of their tyres is different. I remember that I went to measure the width of my 265 AT3'S and it did not measure 265. If I remember correctly some measure the width including the threaded part of the side wall or something like that.