Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity





Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    36
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Hi. I will be driving in the cederberg area where there is no reception and there are many road options to take.
    I dont want to invest in a dedicated gps just for that.

    What is the options to upload routes from google earth or use google maps in offline mode ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,940
    Thanked: 1467

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Simply download the Google Maps area you want.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    65
    Posts
    215
    Thanked: 274

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Why not also get a good paper map of the Cederburg? Navigating the roads there are dead easy, but the usefulness of a map is that it will also show you the many points of interest, hiking trails, campsites, etc. And once you have been, you will go again. I have been using the same Cederburg map for 20 + years.
    PedroD

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to PedroD For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    36
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Thanks. I will look at both options !
    Good idea to have a map if the tech fails

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    RSA
    Posts
    948
    Thanked: 1291

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Quote Originally Posted by PedroD View Post
    Why not also get a good paper map of the Cederburg? Navigating the roads there are dead easy, but the usefulness of a map is that it will also show you the many points of interest, hiking trails, campsites, etc. And once you have been, you will go again. I have been using the same Cederburg map for 20 + years.
    I still have my map tube, compass, pencils and mathematics set with protractor. ruler and dividers in it. Before going anywhere remote I used to visit the Department of Surveys and Mapping in Mowbray, Cape Town, just down the road on the right after turning off at Mosterts Mill going south on the M3. I used to buy 1:50 000 and 1: 250 000 survey maps of the area I intended visiting. They used to cost about R10 each. Knowing how to plot my position using triangulation with the compass resulted in me seldom getting lost. And the flat Landy front mudguard made a perfect map table.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    65
    Posts
    215
    Thanked: 274

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    I still have my map tube, compass, pencils and mathematics set with protractor. ruler and dividers in it. Before going anywhere remote I used to visit the Department of Surveys and Mapping in Mowbray, Cape Town, just down the road on the right after turning off at Mosterts Mill going south on the M3. I used to buy 1:50 000 and 1: 250 000 survey maps of the area I intended visiting. They used to cost about R10 each. Knowing how to plot my position using triangulation with the compass resulted in me seldom getting lost. And the flat Landy front mudguard made a perfect map table.
    Yes, I remember going to Mowbray to get a 1:50 000 map of the Swartberg to plan our climbing trips there. Sorry OP about hijacking your thread with some nostalgia.
    PedroD

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    65
    Posts
    215
    Thanked: 274

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Of course a better long term solution could be to gets Tracks4Africa. I do not have a GPS and have used my iPhone and iPad with the T4A app to navigate all over Southern Africa, including many areas without cellphone reception.
    PedroD

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    58
    Posts
    106
    Thanked: 33

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    When you download offline maps know that you must be zoomed in to the scale you want to use the map at when traveling - the download is like an 'image' and won't show more detail as you zoom in as would happen with the online version.

    Slingsby Maps are superb with lots of useful info for travellers, more so than Topo sheets.

    Enjoy the trip!

    Regards
    Janine
    2009 Jimny
    Transfer case and Radial cup protection
    VPU - rear wheel arches
    Packing System & Roofrack
    Geolander AT's,
    Airbags & EFS shocks

    2010 Ford Bantam XLT 1.6 - Sold
    1981 Ford Cortina - but it went forever! Until stolen

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grise For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,940
    Thanked: 1467

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Quote Originally Posted by Grise View Post
    When you download offline maps know that you must be zoomed in to the scale you want to use the map at when traveling - the download is like an 'image' and won't show more detail as you zoom in as would happen with the online version.

    Slingsby Maps are superb with lots of useful info for travellers, more so than Topo sheets.

    Enjoy the trip!

    Regards
    Correct, the imagery isn't in focus, but the tracks are fine.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,760
    Thanked: 1306

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Just came back from Sodwana. No reception in park. Hawawi P9 lite does not have GPS. So in short, without internet I was screwed, lucky I have my Garmin GPS to rely on.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,403
    Thanked: 551

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    T4A Guide.
    Has got me out of sticky situations several times - one of these in the maze of tracks on the eastern slopes and valleys of the Cedarberg.
    No Internet connection needed.
    It’s very good.
    Last edited by PRA; 2020/11/18 at 07:29 AM.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    70
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Check out Maps.me . It's a free App that somehow manages to continue working where there's no internet or phone signal. It's used and recommended by many overlanders.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Age
    46
    Posts
    204
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    For offline Navigation are severall solutions around, like Google Maps, Maps.me or others. But one solution beats them all...



    Article: Navigation for offline use: English / German
    ___________________________________________
    Transafrica with a well equipped Land Cruiser 200
    http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    36
    Posts
    58
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Sure got allot of information to go and read up on now
    I like to see the distances as you move. Like on a traditional gps that will show 20km before you have to turn. It gives me some sort of timing of the trip more than anything else.

    On google earth if you zoom in there is allot of option and different routes. My plan is to map a stable route and upload it for basic guidance. And then of course a backup hardcopy.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    39,984
    Thanked: 16455

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Get a cheap Garmin with Garmaps and T4A.

    It's an investment.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Bogotá
    Posts
    142
    Thanked: 96

    Default Re: Navigating on ipone without internet connectivity

    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Robertson View Post
    Check out Maps.me . It's a free App that somehow manages to continue working where there's no internet or phone signal. It's used and recommended by many overlanders.
    maps.me works well - we use it a lot. We also use T4A on a GPS unit.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •