Good easiest trails around Gauteng

Default Good easiest trails around Gauteng

I am typically not a big trail user, however my wife has decided that with our kids being such nerds, every weekend, there is no need for us to do the same. I sent her on a 4x4 course when she got her fortuner which she really enjoyed, so now we are trying to either go for a walk or 4x4 course every weekend. We did Hennops 2 weeks back and then yesterday went and did a 10km hike through suikerbossie on which I felt like I was going to expire several times.

So this weekend coming is defiantly another trail. Since my amarok is just over 300k km I would prefer to use it rather than her fortuner. I also just fitted some nice HT tyres for a good price so not looking for anything too hectic or too likely to kill my tyres.

Hennops was quite nice. Was thinking of Groenkloof this weekend, but not too sure if it has been maintained. What is bass lake like? We are divers, but I am not sure I am desperate enough to dive in a hole in the ground yet, but if one can make a nice day out of it it may be worth it?

Is deWildt suitable for non-modified wagons? Are there any more organised groups going anywhere?

Default Re: Good easiest trails around Gauteng

Groenkloof is a good option. The trail is maintained and most of the obstacles have escape routes.

It is a pretty nice outing and you are very likely to see some wildlife.
    I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked.

If you were able to to Hennops, then De Wildt wont be much more of a challenge.

I hear groenkloof is fairly easy normally but a bit more challenging when it rained.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

DeWidts will be perfect for your needs Stephan, it also has a really proper picnic area, and some nice game on the trail.

And nothing bar the clearly marked Koos se Klip and Rocky river (That are optional) will be in any way more than what a standard VeeDub can handle.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will add those to the list. Has anyone tried sandwini?

I’d also recommend dewildt. One of my favorite trails. Nothing hardcore, but the bush and scenery is really nice.
    a mate in his stock (old) navara struggled a bit the one time and had to take escape routes, but, there’s nothing lower than a stock navara I guess.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I’d also recommend dewildt. One of my favorite trails. Nothing hardcore, but the bush and scenery is really nice.
    a mate in his stock (old) navara struggled a bit the one time and had to take escape routes, but, there’s nothing lower than a stock navara I guess.
    What is nice about the place, is that you can also hike or cycle at the venue.

So you can do the trip to DeWildt for more than just one of the OP's options

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    What is nice about the place, is that you can also hike or cycle at the venue.

So you can do the trip to DeWildt for more than just one of the OP's options
    Thats true. One of the big attractions of Groenkloof is that you can do take MTB bikes, hike and 4x4. When the kids were much smaller we would take them there and then load up the little ones when they got tired while I could carry on cycling with the larger ones. Now I will battle to keep up with either of the kids and we can just ditch them with MTBs and go off for a drive.

This will give you a very good idea of what the expect at Groenkloof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc62T9rdQ6U&t=21s
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Had a great day on Saturday with the Nissan Club at DeWidlt. Super chaps and they were not snotty at all about being stalked by a Volkswagen. There were some pretty rough areas of the trail, but with the rear diff locked my wife managed to idle through pretty much everything.

We stopped to watch the nissan guys attempt some very steep rock face and with the light rain it was pretty challenging. There was too much metal and rock noises for me, so we were happy to spectate that one.

We eventually left them as I was getting hungry, but what a great bunch of people. After I got home I serviced the amarok and put in some new front brakes. Now it is ready to start the serious ski boating for December. It was amazing how much crap was in the pollen filter. I do it every service which for me is 10k km, and it was foul. Can't believe they leave these things for 40-60k on the factory maintenance service.

Must say overall, DeWidlt was a very nice day out and will defiantly go back there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post: