Tanzania 2020

Thread: Tanzania 2020

Default Tanzania 2020

Hi,

Først I would like to ask to annybody on this forrum that is resident in Tanzania or has been traveling in the region lately how are the conditions in Tanzania these day, regarding aspects of everyday s life and travelling around, visiting the nationals parks, campsites, etc?

I also want to ask if annyone knows the state of the A104 that is running from Arusha to Iringa through Dodoma and of any campsite recomended to stay at to brake the journey in to?

Thanks!

Regards
    Philippe

Default Re: Tanzania 2020

The Tanzanian government is in complete denial about coronavirus. There is also a fair amount of political unrest following the recent elections.

However, apparently, the national parks are open.

The road from Iringa to Arusha is perfect new Chinese tarmac and has been for a number of years as detailed in my trip report from 2018. The place to break the journey is Dodoma, but there is no camping in Dodoma. I recommend the old colonial New Dodoma Hotel (formerly the Railway Hotel).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Hi Philippe

As WW said corona is completely ignored here, saying that the hospitals aren't overrun and life goes on as normal.
    The political unrest is not affecting everyday life and as far as the locals are concerned it's done and dusted, the higher ups have a different opinion.
    The road from Arusha to Iringa is fine with some roadworks just after Dadoma on the Arusha side but they are Minor.
    The national parks are all open and empty so great time to see them.

N
    Neil Rocher
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1982 Mog 416
    1971 series 2a 109"
    1968 FJ40 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu) 88"
    1958 series 2 (Betty) 88"
    1955 series 1 109" (rebuilding)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2.8i rocks For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your answers Wasungu Wawili and Neil!

It confirms what I though.

Best regards
    Philippe

Hi.
    I have just returned from Tanzania to South Africa and as stated above, life in Tanzania goes on as if covid had never existed.
    When are you heading there? I ask because I was going to leave Manyara area and drive to Iringa via Tarangirie. (As I did the year before on my way north) It had been raining heavily for a few days and I was advised not to drive through Tarangirie.
    I adhered to this advice so cant comment on the road condition.
    It was pretty difficult getting out of the place I was staying near Lake Manyara

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaman View Post
    Hi.
    I have just returned from Tanzania to South Africa and as stated above, life in Tanzania goes on as if covid had never existed.
    When are you heading there? I ask because I was going to leave Manyara area and drive to Iringa via Tarangirie. (As I did the year before on my way north) It had been raining heavily for a few days and I was advised not to drive through Tarangirie.
    I adhered to this advice so cant comment on the road condition.
    It was pretty difficult getting out of the place I was staying near Lake Manyara
    I would imagine that the advice you were given was not to go into Tarangire National Park during the rains. The main road from Arusha to Dodoma and Iringa does, indeed, pass near to the gate to Tarangire National Park, but the road is immaculate new Chinese tarmac all the way from Arusha to Iringa.

Hakuna matata all the way.

Hi Wazungu
    As you state, the road from Arusha to airings is perfect. The only limitation on speed being the speed limit.
    I was referring to driving south in tarengirie. It is a wonderful drive that we did on the north bound leg and I was just advised not to try repeat it going south in the park because of the rains.
    I’m sure the area around the main entrance gate is fine.