Should I or Shouldnt I? (New Jimny) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Should I or Shouldnt I? (New Jimny)

Swap cars.

Give SWAMBO your A4 and trade her car for a Jimny for yourself.
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

I have 3 cars available to me to drive. Two need new batteries, because they just don't get driven. SWAMBO and I both choose the Jimny over the other cars, whether it's a trip to the shop or down to Durbs.

It is definitely not a practical vehicle, but it is so much fun to drive, we live with it's short comings.

If you really want one, you learn little tricks. A friend puts his baby in the car seat by opening the rear door and lifting him over the seat.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

Keep the Audi and buy a decent XJ.

Problem solved.

What can you get for the Audi, what gearbox does it have.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Are you a hair dresser by profession?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rog163 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Are you a hair dresser by profession?
    Referring to?
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A new JLUS will tick all the boxes............

Quote Originally Posted by Pokkie View Post
    Keep the Audi and buy a decent XJ.

Problem solved.
    I really am a wrangler fan in terms of looks and function, but my dad put me off jeeps by going from his 100 series cruiser to a Grand Cherokee which he HATED. He then got a 200 series cruiser and hasnt been happier. I know the wrangler is a different species to the Cherokee's, but are jeeps as terrible as I think they are in terms of maintenance? The only wranglers in my price range (+/- 350k) are the slightly older models with high mileage, so it makes me a bit concerned to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    My 2c. If you are not going to go offroad / go on adventures (a lot) where the benefits of owning a Jimny shine I probably wouldn't recommend it. I have a Gen 4. It's Fun and nippy to run around to the local shops etc.

It could be used as a daily driver but then it would have to be automatic in my opinion.

Anything over 30km to travel and we jump into the Rav.

I definitely wouldn't consider it as my primary car if I am planning to have kids. Show stopper here.

The price is also not great. I paid R330k for a brand new GLX 3 months ago.

That said, we all love it. Fantastic car to go exploring in. That's why we bought it. We want to explore our country and Africa and the Jimny is a great car to do it in. (Our kids are grown up and use the Jimny for their own explorations).

If budget permits, a fair compromise is the Vitara AllGrip. This will give you more space, a better ride as a daily driver, great for babies/kids and a decent amount of overlanding ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    I have 3 cars available to me to drive. Two need new batteries, because they just don't get driven. SWAMBO and I both choose the Jimny over the other cars, whether it's a trip to the shop or down to Durbs.

It is definitely not a practical vehicle, but it is so much fun to drive, we live with it's short comings.

If you really want one, you learn little tricks. A friend puts his baby in the car seat by opening the rear door and lifting him over the seat.
    Valid points. I see the jimny being fine for me for 80% of my trips to work, the shops, and the odd weekend trek, but if I need to take a trip to the hardware store, move kids around, I dont want to catch myself feeling limited by my car. I already feel limited in the Audi for the inverse - not being able to do things a jimny could, and I really want a car that can do it all (...but not be a bakkie). I think I'm asking for too much here

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Swap cars.

Give SWAMBO your A4 and trade her car for a Jimny for yourself.
    I've tried this idea - she's fussy as hell and doesnt want either. I'm trying hard enough as it is to pry her hands off her citi golf :/ Her road to work is on a semi-dirt road that I wouldnt want the audi going down every day anyway. Her quota for her next car is something slightly raised, small, 4 doors, and +/- R150k that wont give maintenance issues. I tried to convince her on the older gen 3 Jimny, but its just the lack of back doors that kills that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    What can you get for the Audi, what gearbox does it have.
    Its a pretty high specc'd 2.0 TFSI model - difficult to get what its worth at the dealership though. But I still owe on it, so selling it now would just settle my remainder + a little extra.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_Front3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	634.3 KB 
ID:	595707

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Referring to?
    I think there's a joke that Audi's are hairdressers cars. I used to say that about Audi TT's, but it doesnt really apply to other Audi's. The new TT's are pretty wild though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeHawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    I really am a wrangler fan in terms of looks and function, but my dad put me off jeeps by going from his 100 series cruiser to a Grand Cherokee which he HATED. He then got a 200 series cruiser and hasnt been happier. I know the wrangler is a different species to the Cherokee's, but are jeeps as terrible as I think they are in terms of maintenance? The only wranglers in my price range (+/- 350k) are the slightly older models with high mileage, so it makes me a bit concerned to get one.

Valid points. I see the jimny being fine for me for 80% of my trips to work, the shops, and the odd weekend trek, but if I need to take a trip to the hardware store, move kids around, I dont want to catch myself feeling limited by my car. I already feel limited in the Audi for the inverse - not being able to do things a jimny could, and I really want a car that can do it all (...but not be a bakkie). I think I'm asking for too much here

I've tried this idea - she's fussy as hell and doesnt want either. I'm trying hard enough as it is to pry her hands off her citi golf :/ Her road to work is on a semi-dirt road that I wouldnt want the audi going down every day anyway. Her quota for her next car is something slightly raised, small, 4 doors, and +/- R150k that wont give maintenance issues. I tried to convince her on the older gen 3 Jimny, but its just the lack of back doors that kills that idea.

Its a pretty high specc'd 2.0 TFSI model - difficult to get what its worth at the dealership though. But I still owe on it, so selling it now would just settle my remainder + a little extra.

I think there's a joke that Audi's are hairdressers cars. I used to say that about Audi TT's, but it doesnt really apply to other Audi's. The new TT's are pretty wild though.
    I'll drive a TTRS in a heartbeat. Even if it means I have to take hairdresser classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I'll drive a TTRS in a heartbeat. Even if it means I have to take hairdresser classes.
    I would hugely appreciate being given one of these, then I can sell that piece of shiite, and buy two or more new Jimny's.....
    Last edited by Gustav Jimny; 2020/11/14 at 06:31 PM.
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post

Don't get a Wrangler then. Total rubbish. Hell, ours is only on 250,000kms and actually might need some work now. Useless. Only gets 8km/L.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have never driven a new Jimny so really cannot comment, but I do know life is too short to drive a platkar!
    Life's too short not to want to....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

No, not going from an Audi to the Jimny. You won't be happy unless you're used to driving older cars that have a bit of squeak and rattle. The Jimny straight out the box needs a bit extra spent on it. 1st thing is shocks and coils. Mine rocked like crazy stopped at a robot in the Cape South Easter before I did that change, so add that to your costs. I have had an A4, 5 Series BMW and the 4wd Fortuner D3. Then I bought the Jimny (this year) and have kept the Fortuner for longer trips and towing etc.

Ok, that being said, I absolutely love the Jimny, use it as a daily commute and weekender. It's a fantastic little vehicle incredibly nippy, great offroad. Cheap on fuel. But you need to look at it as a 2 seater with an emergency option of carrying anyone in the back a short distance. A child with prams, napppy bags, etc? hell no. And trying to get a toddler into a child seat leaning into the back...I don't even want to consider that particular train smash.

So basically unless you can afford to keep the Audi or change it to something else more practical, and buy the Jimny as a toy....I wouldn't do it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneW For This Useful Post:

Before we go any further what's a 'platkar'?
    I'm trying to learn Afrikaans so please bear with me.
    Matthew T Mutepfa
    Ēdonít be too serious about itís just life after allĒ

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewMutepfa View Post
    Before we go any further what's a 'platkar'?
    I'm trying to learn Afrikaans so please bear with me.
    Its a car like a chicken flattie. In stead of standing upright like a decent chicken on proper legs, it sits close to the ground on virtually no legs :-)
    IOW, it is the term 4x4 owners use when they refer to a normal sedan type vehicle, something you have to bend to get into in stead of walking into it.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. As sad as it is, the Jimny wont suit my needs at this point in time. Looks like I'm still searching for something else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Its a car like a chicken flattie. In stead of standing upright like a decent chicken on proper legs, it sits close to the ground on virtually no legs :-)
    IOW, it is the term 4x4 owners use when they refer to a normal sedan type vehicle, something you have to bend to get into in stead of walking into it.
    Ohhhh that makes sense I've seen the word in many places on the forum! Thanks Mike
    Matthew T Mutepfa
    Ēdonít be too serious about itís just life after allĒ

To be honest with the future family building you are planning and the price of a New Jimny and it being your only car in the end. Also if it is a Hip image type of thing that the new jimny seem to have as a fasion accessory for quite a number of people, I would say don't do it.

I myself once was in that position of buying a new jimny (gen3). My Heart and bank account said yes do it.. But My whole reality Said HELL NO at that point as I was driving around 60 000 km - 70 000km per year.
    So i bought a Swift instead as it was more comfortable and never thought I would actually keep it for more than a year... It has been 5 years now since I bought the Swift. That car changed allot of things and my whole life style -- The slogan for Suzuki : "It is a way of Life" is absolutely the truth.

Now a few years later, I Bought a SJ (Modified the crap out of it = Spongebob the SJ410) and a Jimny that I could not keep stock for the life of it.

I am a massive Suzuki Fan, our whole family is(It looks like a Suzuki Meet when everyone visits).
    But if you want to give it a bash for a weekend warrior and the occasional trip with friends, then rather get a Second hand Gen3 they are absolutely bullet proof.

That way you still have the option of the comfort of your "platkar" ride, and can trade it in later for something like a double cab..

Something that I have been pondering about myself cause I have felt a little lack in the Suzuki's cause Now all I have is a bunch of small cars.
    I cannot tow a trailer really..
    Recently finally bought my own House and when I want to do gardening work and need to get that rubbish out I have nothing to do that type of work with so I end up paying someone to remove it or have to ask a family member with a Bakkie to help me, I absotely hate that

Here is a spanner in the works that I have noticed no one has mentioned yet.
    SO I started doing some research on the Mahindra Scorpio S6 and S10 double cab.. And basically for the same price of a Jimny you can get something that is just as big as a Land cruizer accept the Mahindra drives softer and have more creature comforts. The reliability seems not bad, and Have spoken to quite a few Mahnidra owners, some whom have sold their hiluxes or are Huge Landrover defender fans that said they will not easily go buy their previous loved brand again. a Brand new S6 4x4 Double Cab Karoo is selling for 364k (That is the same price as a brand new Jimny) To me it makes more sense to buy that than the New Jimny (R360k). This whole paragraph hurts quite a bit typing it to say do not buy a Jimny but something completely out of the Suzuki House instead. But it is what it is.
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2020/11/17 at 07:11 PM.

A couple of years back I went offroading with a friend in his Jimny 3rd gen and I completely fell in love with it immediately, I sold my Hilux and also bought myself one. At the time it was only me and SWAMBO and very soon after our first baby was on her way. All went ok as SWAMBO didnít complain to much but did start to moan about packing space with a baby included, and after a few years when we got the news of baby #2 late one Sunday evening she told me that very next day that the Jimny had to go. Luckily she agreed on a Rubicon 4door and To be honest There isnít a vehicle in the word that comes close to the Jeep. I love it even more than the Jimny. Havent had any regrets since the day I got it and SWAMBO also loves it. But have to add I looked for a decent one in my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Renier DeVilliers View Post
    A couple of years back I went offroading with a friend in his Jimny 3rd gen and I completely fell in love with it immediately, I sold my Hilux and also bought myself one. At the time it was only me and SWAMBO and very soon after our first baby was on her way. All went ok as SWAMBO didnít complain to much but did start to moan about packing space with a baby included, and after a few years when we got the news of baby #2 late one Sunday evening she told me that very next day that the Jimny had to go. Luckily she agreed on a Rubicon 4door and To be honest There isnít a vehicle in the word that comes close to the Jeep. I love it even more than the Jimny. Havent had any regrets since the day I got it and SWAMBO also loves it. But have to add I looked for a decent one in my budget.
    Nice choice with the Rubicon. On what mileage did you get it and are you still happy with it? How is the maintenance cost etc.?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Nice choice with the Rubicon. On what mileage did you get it and are you still happy with it? How is the maintenance cost etc.?
    I got a 2013 model with about 110 000 kmís and have the Rubicon now for about a year and half now, services has been quite similar to SWAMBOís double cab Ranger. Fuel costs are a different story though at avg consumption of 14,5l/100km mixed driving. Extremely happy with it still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast