Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Should I or Shouldnt I? (New Jimny)

Hey guys, so I'm new here and need some sage wisdom.

Let me preface this by saying I've always been a sedan kind of guy. My current car is a 2017 Audi A4, which I like. I currently do 95% city driving to and from work.

HOWEVER, since the launch of the new Jimny, I absolutely fell in love with it. I dont do much overlanding, or any of that, but want to start getting in to it more, or at the very least keep up with my mates when we do a few bumpy trips along the eastern cape. on the odd weekend.

So my local dealer has a 2018/19 blue gen 4 GLX Auto Jimny (10 000km's) in stock. The price is pretty high still, coming in at R349k for a used model but they've lowered it to R335k for me to sweeten the deal.

The problem is, for me to afford this I need to trade in the Audi, thus the Jimny would become my daily. I have done every bit of research that I can about the Jimny and I'm on the fence. I want so badly to be able to make this call, but to me it seems like the perfect weekend car, and not so much a perfect daily. I dont transport anything really, so space-wise the Jimny would be fine at the moment, but with having a kid on the cards in the next year or so, things could well change. Also I'm scared I've been suckered in by the "fun" aspect of it, and will end up missing the creature comforts my Audi provides.

Do any of you actually daily the Jimny as your only car? Is it easy to live with? Is it as fun as people say, and is it worth it if I'll only really use it for its intended purpose once in a while? My heart says do it, but my brain tells me otherwise. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Default Re: Should I or Shouldnt I? (New Jimny)

I have never driven a new Jimny so really cannot comment, but I do know life is too short to drive a platkar!

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

You are asking on a 4x4 forum whether you should trade in a platkar on one of the most fun 4x4s... Prepare for one sided answers.

But jokes aside...

If a child is really on the cards, get a double cab. Trust me (our fist born is now a year and a half). The Jimny looks great, has a lot of fun appeal but it's no comparison to the Audi as a daily.

I've had a Terios (great GREAT car) and a Chev Trailblazer (also a peach and proper 7 seater) but I'll never go back from a double cab. It's heaven to just chuck in the pram, dirty plastic bike and sand pit in the back.

If I was a single 25 year old, the Jimny would be my poison. But with a child, no ways it will be the right choice.
    Last edited by Groenman; 2020/11/12 at 10:15 PM.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

The Jimny is not the ideal family vehicle especially if it is your only vehicle and you have kids on the way. Watch the following video for one of the best non bias reviews of the Jimny I have seen.

https://youtu.be/UzWQYGgb8PU

After you watched the video, decide if you want a car for practicality or if you want to live a bit and have some fun
    Regards
    HeinrichC

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

Ouch, What we are really talking about here is a lifestyle choice.

The Jimny is only the chosen tool.

And here is the kicker. If you want that lifestyle, is the Jimny the best tool for the job.

Or is it just a cute "I want".

Cause unless you REALLY want to make that lifestyle change, you are going to REALLY miss the Audi in day to day living.

AND, I have very real experience of friends that made that move, smiled until they where gatvol of the downsides, and then sold and went platkar again.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have never driven a new Jimny so really cannot comment, but I do know life is too short to drive a platkar!
    Haha, I'm starting to feel this. But I hate 90% of all SUV's :/

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    You are asking on a 4x4 forum whether you should trade in a platkar on one of the most fun 4x4s... Prepare for one sided answers.

But jokes aside...

If a child is really on the cards, get a double cab. Trust me (our fist born is now a year and a half). The Jimny looks great, has a lot of fun appeal but it's no comparison to the Audi as a daily.

I've had a Terios (great GREAT car) and a Chev Trailblazer (also a peach and proper 7 seater) but I'll never go back from a double cab. It's heaven to just chuck in the pram, dirty plastic bike and sand pit in the back.

If I was a single 25 year old, the Jimny would be my poison. But with a child, no ways it will be the right choice.
    Yeah I feel you. My concern as well. Having a Jimny as the "main" family car just seems like it wont work so well, as much as I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    The Jimny is not the ideal family vehicle especially if it is your only vehicle and you have kids on the way. Watch the following video for one of the best non bias reviews of the Jimny I have seen.

https://youtu.be/UzWQYGgb8PU

After you watched the video, decide if you want a car for practicality or if you want to live a bit and have some fun
    I've watched a lot of this guys stuff, but cant relate because I wont be doing nearly close to what he's doing with it. It just sucks when its one of the first "off-road" cars I've ever really felt passionate about, but its one that potentially doesn't quite suit my needs

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Ouch, What we are really talking about here is a lifestyle choice.

The Jimny is only the chosen tool.

And here is the kicker. If you want that lifestyle, is the Jimny the best tool for the job.

Or is it just a cute "I want".

Cause unless you REALLY want to make that lifestyle change, you are going to REALLY miss the Audi in day to day living.

AND, I have very real experience of friends that made that move, smiled until they where gatvol of the downsides, and then sold and went platkar again.
    There's a very high chance I'd be one of those guys. Maybe not to a "platkar", but I'm worried id get over it after a year and change cars again. As much as I want a lifestyle change that suits the Jimny, because of work, and the limited time off I get, it would be a moderate change at best. It might get me out the house more often though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeHawk For This Useful Post:

Based on info you gave, I wouldn't. In any other situ, yes!

Red face Re: Should I or Shouldnt I? (New Jimny)

HAving driven an SJ since the day they were launched in South Africa in 1983. I would say it depends on the person. I loved it and would not have changed it for anything. I travelled the country in it from Cape Town to Messina (I near Tzaneen)In then added an SJ 413 to my stable. This was used to tour South Africa and then Namibia and Botswana. They are both still running perfectly and are parked in my garage outside. The 410 will turn 37 on 23 Dec and the 413 is now34. If you want to have fun, do it while you caN - YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. As to having kids - we did not only have the Suzukis then but we did bring up 3 boys in them on the short trips. Long trips we had a Caravelle. This decision can only be made by you - If you want it - do it
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Going from a patkarre to a gen 3 jimmny for about a year then sold it and now bought a 4x4 doublecab was the best choice i have ever made

Gettting my son 1.5 years old at that time into the back seat was always a challeng

My wife couldnt reach the car seat as she is short so she always had to get into the back of the car with him to strap him in

Pram always rode next to him on the seat

Limited packing space

No "security" of a boot for valuables

Did one extreamly long trip in it just after lockdown ended seats were not comfortable
    (Killed the lower back)

The car always felt overfull inside on the trip

Even in the vids of this "roam" guy the car is packed to the brim

For a daily it was good light on fuel and enjoyed it

My doubel cab ride quality is way better

Also You cannot basically tow anything legally

If it was just my wife and i then the jimmny would have stayed

However with the above said

Do not buy the car evertbody wants you to buy

Buy the car that you want! You will enjoy it more

If a baby is on the way perhaps take a pram and a car seat fit it and see how it works for you

we managed to survive with our kid in and out with prams ect ect
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Jimny and kids do not mix, the jimny is a awesome little 4x4 but never the less a baby up to the age of two makes you fill up a boot like nothing I sold my DC when youngest was 2 years old and for the price bought a A4 and a Jeep Compass for the wife. To be frank the A4 is even a bit thight with a baby but will do if you are willing to tow a trailer.

My changes was financially driven but you can not go wrong with a DC space wise.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post

Let me preface this by saying I've always been a sedan kind of guy. My current car is a 2017 Audi A4, which I like. I currently do 95% city driving to and from work.

HOWEVER, since the launch of the new Jimny, I absolutely fell in love with it. I dont do much overlanding, or any of that, but want to start getting in to it more, or at the very least keep up with my mates when we do a few bumpy trips along the eastern cape. on the odd weekend.

So my local dealer has a 2018/19 blue gen 4 GLX Auto Jimny (10 000km's) in stock. The price is pretty high still, coming in at R349k for a used model but they've lowered it to R335k for me to sweeten the deal.

The problem is, for me to afford this I need to trade in the Audi, thus the Jimny would become my daily. I have done every bit of research that I can about the Jimny and I'm on the fence. I want so badly to be able to make this call, but to me it seems like the perfect weekend car, and not so much a perfect daily. I dont transport anything really, so space-wise the Jimny would be fine at the moment, but with having a kid on the cards in the next year or so, things could well change. Also I'm scared I've been suckered in by the "fun" aspect of it, and will end up missing the creature comforts my Audi provides.

Do any of you actually daily the Jimny as your only car? Is it easy to live with? Is it as fun as people say, and is it worth it if I'll only really use it for its intended purpose once in a while? My heart says do it, but my brain tells me otherwise. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    My Jimny is my daily driver. Fully modded, slow, bad fuel consumption (due to mods), but even in my situation where I can afford a ‘better road car’ while keeping my Jimny, I opt to drive my Jimny as a daily and a long distance vehicle!

Love my little Rebel!

Sent from my iPhone

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Start living with a Jimny!

Definitely not great for kids.
    Choose the life you want to lead.
    We have had so much fun with ours - town car and long distance.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I don't drive one, but i've been inside one. For me, there's no space for kids ... comparing it to your Audi, which you will every day, the ride is hard. Judging by your post, you wont use the Jimney for what it was built for & you'll eventually regret your decision ... if you just want to "keep up" on gravel roads with mates on occasional trips, buy a double cab. You have a decent budget.

A Jimny with a baby or toddler?

Space for:
    - pram?
    - baby seat?
    - nappy bag?
    - etc

No way would I do that, I'd be very cross very quickly.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A Jimny with a baby or toddler?

Space for:
    - pram?
    - baby seat?
    - nappy bag?
    - etc

No way would I do that, I'd be very cross very quickly.
    Jip, en jy lys nog net baba se goed. Wat van Mamma se bagasie? Ten MINSTE 2 tasse, drie vanity cases, 'n sak vir skoene en as jy gelukkig is, is daar nog plek vir jou tandeborsel erens.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

I very much liked the previous gen Jimny, but I have not driven the new gen yet but man I just LOVE the look of it, nice and boxy and cool looking.

Sadly, when I test drove the previous model, with interest to buy me one, I struggled to sit comfortably behind the drivers wheel. I am to big and to fat so I can only imagine the new one is not much bigger, and having only 2 doors with a small kid.... hmm will be a struggle

Then again

If you want it, just DO IT and worry later !
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4 (workshop whore)

Luke awesome voertuig moelik om jou te antwoord toets bestuur een maak dan jou call sterkte met besluit

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Dankie julle,

Reading all the comments, I'm in the same place I started . The guys that love them, really do love them, but the practicality is still up for debate. Some say do it for the love of it, some say take a step back and be realistic. This isnt an easy call. I did take it for a test drive, and it was pretty much everything I'd expected (good and bad). My old man was in the back while I drove, and his struggle to get in and out already made me concerned.

Maybe I'll just get a Wrangler and call it a day haha. Perhaps I'd get a bit of both sides with one of those. Who knows.

The issue with double cabs is... well, nothing really, but I've never been fond of huge bakkies. Though I'd take a bakkie over the majority of SUV's.

Thanks guys, I'll keep thinking about it. In all likelihood I wont take this Jimny. I wish my wife liked it enough, and then she could get it as her car, and we'd keep the Audi, but unfortunately shes not a fan, and needs a car with 4 doors.

Maybe I'll just get a Wrangler and call it a day haha. Perhaps I'd get a bit of both sides with one of those. Who knows.
    A new JLUS will tick all the boxes............

Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thanks,
    My 2c. If you are not going to go offroad / go on adventures (a lot) where the benefits of owning a Jimny shine I probably wouldn't recommend it. I have a Gen 4. It's Fun and nippy to run around to the local shops etc.

It could be used as a daily driver but then it would have to be automatic in my opinion.

Anything over 30km to travel and we jump into the Rav.

I definitely wouldn't consider it as my primary car if I am planning to have kids. Show stopper here.

The price is also not great. I paid R330k for a brand new GLX 3 months ago.

That said, we all love it. Fantastic car to go exploring in. That's why we bought it. We want to explore our country and Africa and the Jimny is a great car to do it in. (Our kids are grown up and use the Jimny for their own explorations).

If budget permits, a fair compromise is the Vitara AllGrip. This will give you more space, a better ride as a daily driver, great for babies/kids and a decent amount of overlanding ability.
    2020 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 GLX Manual,
    Tyres: General Grabber AT3 215/75 R15
    Escape Gear: Seat Covers and Floor Mats
    Front Runner: roof rack, ladder, Jerry cans
    Des-Sol: Radial Cup Protectors

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast