"Affordable" foldable solar panels - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: "Affordable" foldable solar panels

The controller is actually the "cheapest" component of the kit, although it is quite a robust little device. It is a 20A PWM controller and can be bought for as little as R350 at some outlets.
    It is not integrated into the solar kit and is simply attached to the back of one panel. One is able to connect via the controller or simply bypass it if you have something like an MPPT.
    Never a bad idea though to have it as a spare, even if you have a trusty unit such as Victron, especially when you're in the gramadoelas.
    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    Looks great. How much will they be without the controller?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

Yes Deo is correct. Under ideal circumstances the 200W offers 10.47A of current so one is more likely to average been 8 and 9 amps.
    The best I have personally been able to get was 9.3A (midday and cloudless).
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Potentially around 10amps best case scenario.

Morne, the best to answer that is to work the sums. Formula you should use is T=Ah/A
    T - Time
    Ah - Ampere Hour rating of battery (yours is 102Ah
    A - Current in Amperes.
    If we assume you get 10A from the panels it means your charging time (from empty) will be 102Ah/10A=10.2 hours
    But you are most likely never to sit with a completely empty battery. Even if you effectively only have around 5-6 hours per day for sun charging the 200W will be more than ample to keep your battery at full charge even with a fridge on a hot day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    What amp would a set of 200W mentioned in this thread push back in to a battery? I have a 102ah that only runs 1 x fridge and lights. I've read and asked on this forum, some say 2 x 100W, some 2 x 120W - will this 1 x 200W suffice? These foldable are just SO much easier to lug around

I have a 20A victron charge controller.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Munnika View Post
    Morne, the best to answer that is to work the sums. Formula you should use is T=Ah/A
    T - Time
    Ah - Ampere Hour rating of battery (yours is 102Ah
    A - Current in Amperes.
    If we assume you get 10A from the panels it means your charging time (from empty) will be 102Ah/10A=10.2 hours
    But you are most likely never to sit with a completely empty battery. Even if you effectively only have around 5-6 hours per day for sun charging the 200W will be more than ample to keep your battery at full charge even with a fridge on a hot day.
    Have emailed you thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

We have ordered some of these caps with our next shipment. It should be available early next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    So these bits were the cabling goes into the BH is from the panel manufacturers. I would love something like this that secures the cables on that side of the BH. Attachment 595437

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

Awesome. Will be keeping an eye open.
    A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.

Luka Geertsema

We have ordered some of these caps with our next shipment. It should be available early next year.
    Great - I am sure we can arrange group buy for the Gauteng / Pta guys.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Martinj For This Useful Post:

Munnika

Thanks for the great service
    Sent your details to my dad looking for 200w foldable
    He spoke to you and was happy with the feedback

We will test his current system over Dec but I am sure he will go for the 200w foldable after that

Regards
    Henk
    2013 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4-D 4x4
    Bush Lapa 810 Miskruier

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilux01 For This Useful Post:

I see that the Anderson plug rear cap is available from Camp Craft https://www.campcraft.co.za/power/pl...-cover-sheath/ and Lumeno direct. I have no idea if Camp Craft is a reputable website or not

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Buy from Munnik.
    I bought one when I visited the kids in Australia.Same quality,only diff. is that it concists of 10 small panels but otherwise identical.Works well and is so practical.Was always carting two solid panels,but that is really cumbersome.
    Problem is they don't ship to ZA,so Munnik is providing a good service!!!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

Awesome, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I see that the Anderson plug rear cap is available from Camp Craft https://www.campcraft.co.za/power/pl...-cover-sheath/ and Lumeno direct. I have no idea if Camp Craft is a reputable website or not
    A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.

Luka Geertsema

Chaps, status at the moment is that we have basically sold all of our available stock (a little unexpected I might add). Thank you for your support.
    MunnikA Trading plans to register as a commercial member of this forum so that we can stick to the rules of posting information here.
    Apologies to those who were left disappointed for not being able to get a set.
    Our next order to our suppliers has been placed and we expect stock to arrive in SA some time early 2021. You are welcome to let us know if you want us to keep a set for you.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Munnika For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martinj View Post
    Great - I am sure we can arrange group buy for the Gauteng / Pta guys.....
    I'll gladly take part if you could arrange a group buy. JHB area.

Cheers.

Chaps, status at the moment is that we have basically sold all of our available stock (a little unexpected I might add). Thank you for your support.
    MunnikA Trading plans to register as a commercial member of this forum so that we can stick to the rules of posting information here.
    Apologies to those who were left disappointed for not being able to get a set.
    Our next order to our suppliers has been placed and we expect stock to arrive in SA some time early 2021. You are welcome to let us know if you want us to keep a set for you.
    Hi Andrew

Would I need 2x sets to charge a 24V setup(i.e. 2x in series, with my existing Victron MPPT Smartsolar controller), or will 1x set suffice, i.e. output voltage of 1x panel enough?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by EcoNinja View Post
    Hi Andrew

Would I need 2x sets to charge a 24V setup(i.e. 2x in series, with my existing Victron MPPT Smartsolar controller), or will 1x set suffice, i.e. output voltage of 1x panel enough?

Cheers.
    Always connect the controller to the batteries first to let the controller know whether its 12v or 24v

Your Victron MPPT Smartsolar controller will automatically read that its 24v and act accordingly.

Check the controller's specs for max volts and amps and add panels. On a 24v system two sets of 200w will work well.

On a 24v system you might want to connect the panels in series, but check the specs first.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Thumbs up Re: "Affordable" foldable solar panels

Hi Andrew
    Thanks for the great service, ordered on Friday and received the 200w panel today.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 6Auto D/C 4X4
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS 6MT D/C 4x2

27. The Following User Says Thank You to krielhj For This Useful Post:

Spot on Deo.
    The foldable models can technically be connected in series but it has not been designed for that purpose. These foldable models are manufactured with preconfigured cables and Anderson (or Brad Harrison) plugs designed for a 12V setup. With a bit of basic rewiring of the cables and plugs it is possible but not advisable.
    The 100W semi-flex panels we do are different in that it does not come with a controller and is much easier to connect in either parallel or series. It is supplied with Solar MC4 connectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Always connect the controller to the batteries first to let the controller know whether its 12v or 24v

Your Victron MPPT Smartsolar controller will automatically read that its 24v and act accordingly.

Check the controller's specs for max volts and amps and add panels. On a 24v system two sets of 200w will work well.

On a 24v system you might want to connect the panels in series, but check the specs first.

Another thought I would like to test here..
    High-end monochrystalline panels, especially panels not intended to be fixed to a structure like the roof of your vehicle or van, is a rather big investment. Very often trips are planned where there is need of a mobile solar unit and you really only need it for that trip.
    Would you think being able to rent the panel for that period is feasible? Perhaps on a day rate, with the usual deposit and "I'll find you if you break it" clauses?
    Logistics might be an issue as we are based in Cape Town and would find it difficult to service the rest of SA.
    Thoughts?

Another thought I would like to test here..
    High-end monochrystalline panels, especially panels not intended to be fixed to a structure like the roof of your vehicle or van, is a rather big investment. Very often trips are planned where there is need of a mobile solar unit and you really only need it for that trip.
    Would you think being able to rent the panel for that period is feasible? Perhaps on a day rate, with the usual deposit and "I'll find you if you break it" clauses?
    Logistics might be an issue as we are based in Cape Town and would find it difficult to service the rest of SA.
    Thoughts?
    It may be worth your while partnering with vehicle rental guys... It will afford you the coverage as well as the admin.
    Rental is a definite option though.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast