Wagyu burgers





Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Wagyu burgers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 13

    Default Wagyu burgers

    Hi foodies


    I had stumbled upon some at the local butcher and was amazed with the deliciousness. Cant stop at one...

    I heard that Food Lovers Market have launched their range of burgers and wagyu is one offered. Has anyone tried them?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to NoelN For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    54
    Posts
    191
    Thanked: 80

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    You must have been to visit Balito
    I was there this weekend, most impressive butchery

    A&B

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to A&B For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,169
    Thanked: 1157

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by A&B View Post
    You must have been to visit Balito
    I was there this weekend, most impressive butchery

    A&B
    Woza(Taylors) butchery at Lifestyle, even the normal burgers are superb and very well priced at about R17 a pattie
    FJC - Just Cruising

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Randpark Ridge
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 65

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    We bought Fruit & Veg Wagyu Patties the past weekend and they were delicious.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heldan For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 245

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by heldan View Post
    We bought Fruit & Veg Wagyu Patties the past weekend and they were delicious.
    There are some quite big herds in ZA now, and it should become more popular and less expensive. My MIL gets them for her farmstall from a farmer up the road and its really world class. You cant beat that kind of natural, melting fat in a burger or steak.

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanked: 1492

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    I'm yet to find a decent one in Pretoria ... the one's we tried were . . . well .. .patties.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 245

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    I'm yet to find a decent one in Pretoria ... the one's we tried were . . . well .. .patties.
    If you ever down in the EC, stop at Baddaford Farmstall, and have one. They are excellent. Not just being bias here

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    754
    Thanked: 1302

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    So Wagyu's grand thing is intermuscular marbling. Flavour can be done with other things. The marbling is where it's at. Why mince it then and pay top notch for it? I'd wager a regular rump mince patty with a bit of added brisket fat would be just as good.

    PS: I believe our wagyu is crossbred. It's not true wagyu.

  13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    298
    Thanked: 1149

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    It just does not make sense to me to pay extra for Wagyu patties.

    Wagyu is Beef with lots of marbling, so yes on a steak, that is great, but patties are ground meat and fat. You can add as much fat as you want. I make my patties with 30% fat. More fat equals more flavour.

    So why would I pay extra for Wagyu if I can have any amount of fat I want, at normal price?

  15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    30
    Posts
    270
    Thanked: 1117

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Someone recently gave me springbok dry wors made with Waygu fat. Once again I could not see the point, if you cut your mince with 30% fat it doesn't matter if the cow was 99% fat your mix is still 70:30

    Clearly this Waygu thing is many parts status to very few parts taste
    Last edited by Half-Pint; 2020/11/11 at 12:57 PM.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mossel Bay
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanked: 418

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    So Wagyu's grand thing is intermuscular marbling. Flavour can be done with other things. The marbling is where it's at. Why mince it then and pay top notch for it? I'd wager a regular rump mince patty with a bit of added brisket fat would be just as good.

    PS: I believe our wagyu is crossbred. It's not true wagyu.
    The SA Wagyu breeders tells us their meat is world class, but comparing the pictures they have on their respective websites with a genuine piece of A5 Japanese Wagyu, you quickly spot the difference.
    Last edited by jab2; 2020/11/11 at 12:52 PM.
    Cobus
    Jimny

  19. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 245

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    So Wagyu's grand thing is intermuscular marbling. Flavour can be done with other things. The marbling is where it's at. Why mince it then and pay top notch for it? I'd wager a regular rump mince patty with a bit of added brisket fat would be just as good.

    PS: I believe our wagyu is crossbred. It's not true wagyu.
    100% Right, its all about the marbling. It has a lower melting temp than regular beef fat - and that still comes through in the taste, and texture, even in burger form. I agree though the appeal mostly comes from a beautiful Wagyu steak.

    From what I have heard, is that we only had generational cross breeds here, from insemination, and no true Wagu beef stock was shipped here to breed. But its only hearsay.
    Last edited by JadeDsantos; 2020/11/11 at 12:58 PM.

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 245

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Someone recently gave me springbok dry wors made with Waygu fat. Once again I could not see the point, if you cut your mince with 30% fat it doesn't matter if the cow was 99% fat your mix is still 70:30

    Clearly this Waygu thing is many parts status to very parts taste
    Dry wors Wagyu really is ### in my opinion. Had some from country meats, and it just doesnt have a nice mouth feel dry.

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 245

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    The SA Wagyu breeders tells us their meat is world class, but comparing the pictures they have on their respective websites with a genuine piece of A5 Japanese Wagyu, you quickly spot the difference.
    World class against average beef, but agreed, its not Japanese Wagu, or Kobe.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanked: 1492

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    The SA Wagyu breeders tells us their meat is world class, but comparing the pictures they have on their respective websites with a genuine piece of A5 Japanese Wagyu, you quickly spot the difference.
    Okay but to be fair - no one in the world can compare to Japanese Wagyu ...

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:


  25. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanked: 1492

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Someone recently gave me springbok dry wors made with Waygu fat. Once again I could not see the point, if you cut your mince with 30% fat it doesn't matter if the cow was 99% fat your mix is still 70:30

    Clearly this Waygu thing is many parts status to very few parts taste
    I agree on patties .... but I once tried a steak at Butcher Shop, this was like 8 years back when it wasn't so commercially available ( I did not pay ) - and that piece of steak was L E G I T
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2020/11/11 at 01:06 PM.

  26. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    754
    Thanked: 1302

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    World class against average beef, but agreed, its not Japanese Wagu, or Kobe.
    Our "wagyu" isn't graded. So where there are companies who grade their wagyu to numbers like A5, ours isn't. It's just" wagyu". I've seen "wagyu" in Checkers right next to a regular Steakhouse Classic steak and the Steakhouse one had more marbling. So then you're just paying for a made-up name.

    Regarding Kobe, we won't ever get Kobe in SA grown here. It's like Champagne. It's named after where it's born and bred.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:


  28. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanked: 881

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Wagyu is overated

  29. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    30
    Posts
    270
    Thanked: 1117

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Dry wors Wagyu really is ### in my opinion. Had some from country meats, and it just doesnt have a nice mouth feel dry.
    Agreed. Part of the issue is that as someone else said the fat has a very low melt point, therefore it liquifies at room temperature. The wors never really dries out the fat kind of just drained out of it

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    359
    Thanked: 245

    Default Re: Wagyu burgers

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Our "wagyu" isn't graded. So where there are companies who grade their wagyu to numbers like A5, ours isn't. It's just" wagyu". I've seen "wagyu" in Checkers right next to a regular Steakhouse Classic steak and the Steakhouse one had more marbling. So then you're just paying for a made-up name.

    Regarding Kobe, we won't ever get Kobe in SA grown here. It's like Champagne. It's named after where it's born and bred.
    I agree with you, its not graded, and I can also say that you get Wagyu and Wagyu in South Africa, and I have seen and tried the more commercial ones compared to say Country Meats, which has its own herds. Some are much better than others and the grading system and lack of control fails this.

    Yes I know we will never get Kobe, but I was talking more to the comparison of our meat against the likes of Kobe's quality. Which it is know for, like champagne, which I also guess suffers from poor quality imitations.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •