Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Cruiser DC's (Much!) Cheaper than the new Hilux!!!??

But Jeloís original question still stands and has baffled me for years. Why oh why did Toyota not use the 1HDT or Ft and FTe more widely and even still? It is a wonderful engine and with common rail would have been fantastic. Corporate decison making is unfathomable at times😔
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    But Jelo’s original question still stands and has baffled me for years. Why oh why did Toyota not use the 1HDT or Ft and FTe more widely and even still? It is a wonderful engine and with common rail would have been fantastic. Corporate decison making is unfathomable at times��
    Die TDi was widely available in die hele wereld Francois, Troopy en die Pickup het dit oral ingehad behalwe in SA.

Selfs in Lesotho loop daar HELE paar TDi bakkies, die Flatnose.

BAIE 80 Series het ook daai enjin in gehad, die ouer TDi.

Ek dink daai enjin is ook in forklifts gebruik.

Ek dink dit gaan maar oor global demand.......onthou SA Toyota is maar iets soos 0.6% van die wereldmark. Maar ja, hoekom jy die TDi in Lesotho nog al die jare kan koop, selfs die FJ Cruiser en die V8 was al daar beskikbaar LANK voor ons dit gekry het, is ook my gat se deksel. Jy kan selfs 'n Troopy V8 daar gaan koop.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2020/11/15 at 01:03 AM.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

But Jeloís original question still stands and has baffled me for years. Why oh why did Toyota not use the 1HDT or Ft and FTe more widely and even still? It is a wonderful engine and with common rail would have been fantastic. Corporate decison making is unfathomable at times😔
    I do agree the HD79 must have been a very nice pickup. Pity we never saw it in SA.

There are many decisions made by Car manufacturers I does not understand. Think the Patrol pickups would have been more popular had they come here with the 4.8. Ford should have bring in the F150 and not the Ranger. Think Petri is right our market share is just too small

I have had dreams around a shorty with a 1HDT. Like you said in a previous post it will be a very expensive conversion. 1HDT/1HDFTE goes by a hefty price tag then the chance is 90% that you need to rebuild it. You can buy a low milage 1VD V8 from a written off 70 series for the same money in the end.

The V8 79 was developed for the mining industry in Australia. The 1HDxxx doesn't meet emissions requirements for the mines.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Then buy one.Decent 4.2 Patrols are scarce as are Defenders. Most of them available at 200k km plus.
    I am a on many Aussie Patrol forums hence the G60.

Spare parts like in Nissan fashion becomes a problem on the Y60/61. Seems Nissan does not have rebuild kits for the 4 8. You have to do with aftermarket suppliers.

David Volschenk can only supply that long.

Defenders are nice but I will not take a Defender over any of my Cruisers. I cannot think of one Defender engine that equals any Cruiser engine
    all correct, hence my conundrum: 70 series pickups are common here, I just don't enjoy the fuel consumption and the engine choices: either they bankrupt you or else they can't pull a skin off a custard.

If I find a high mileage 4.5 petrol or 4.2d pickup, buy it for say R150k, what can I expect if I sell the engine? Probably peanuts? Or not? Around R50k seems to be the average for either?

So now I have R50k in the kitty: what options do I have for a drop in engine that produces around 125kW / 400Nm and uses maximum 12L/100 on the open road at under 120km/h?

What about the 12H-T? Did we ever get it here?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    all correct, hence my conundrum: 70 series pickups are common here, I just don't enjoy the fuel consumption and the engine choices: either they bankrupt you or else they can't pull a skin off a custard.

If I find a high mileage 4.5 petrol or 4.2d pickup, buy it for say R150k, what can I expect if I sell the engine? Probably peanuts? Or not? Around R50k seems to be the average for either?

So now I have R50k in the kitty: what options do I have for a drop in engine that produces around 125kW / 400Nm and uses maximum 12L/100 on the open road at under 120km/h?

What about the 12H-T? Did we ever get it here?
    If you are looking for a fuel economy of 12 l/100 km at less than 120 km/h, wouldn't the V6 come very close, at least close enough to not justify the cost of a conversion and the often resulting loss of resale value?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    If you are looking for a fuel economy of 12 l/100 km at less than 120 km/h, wouldn't the V6 come very close, at least close enough to not justify the cost of a conversion and the often resulting loss of resale value?
    I have no idea. I know nothing about the 1GR. And most people lie quite a lot about their fuel consumption.

My gut feeling is that I'd be lucky to get 16L/100?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I have no idea. I know nothing about the 1GR. And most people lie quite a lot about their fuel consumption.

Thatís about right. No cruiser is economic, they are too heavy, with heavy components and no aerodynamics. And they are not supposed to be aerodynamic... Iím amazed by people buying them and then trying to do 140 kmph on a highway. It like entering a Shire horse into a derby. Cruisers are for simplicity and reliability, I would stick to OEM parts, as far as possible

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

You might be correct, but then again most people drive their V6 Cruisers like they stole them. I yet have to come past someone driving less than 120 in one. That's usually the 1HZ guys...
    When I drive 120 in the FJ, I get better than 12 l / 100 km.
    Depends a lot on the gearing, too. FJ does 120 at 2000 rpm. The Cruiser got the single VVTI, it's slightly different.
    Yet a lot of Prado owners said that their Prado 120 ( with that very engine) had better fuel economy than the 150 with dual VVTI.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
    Thatís about right. No cruiser is economic, they are too heavy, with heavy components and no aerodynamics. And they are not supposed to be aerodynamic... Iím amazed by people buying them and then trying to do 140 kmph on a highway. It like entering a Shire horse into a derby. Cruisers are for simplicity and reliability, I would stick to OEM parts, as far as possible
    A V8 and V6 Cruise at 140km/h very easily and handle well if that's what you used to. If you drive a Hilux everyday and get into a Cruiser you might not feel as comfortable as a everyday Cruiser driver. If I drive a Hilux, I don't enjoy it, I feel the Cruiser is more sturdy and solid. My previous V6 would beat a 3l Hilux in a drag race on a straight line and I would get beaten by guys with remapped V8s. The 2.8 Hilux never came close but that was one occasion on a dry pan.

5.5km/l is the fuel consumption you can budget on.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Meer uit verveelheid as iets anders bel ek my pel by Toyota laasweek, vra hom om my te quote op die volgende Karre:

1) LC Diesel 1HZ D/Cab

2) LC V6 D/Cab

3) Hilux Raider Handrat 4x4 DC (Die cheaper een nie die fancy een nie)

Pryse na Afslag:

1) R 660 000

2) R 635 000

3) R 690 000

.........Die "Cheaper Spec" Hilux is dus R 30 000 duurder as 'n nuwe 1HZ D/Cab, en R 55 000 meer as die Cruiser V6 DC

Is dit net ek, of is die Cruiser skielik nogal nie 'n te bad koop nie?

Dit is oor "hidden cost" soos hulle se^.Betaal per tank!

Nogtans die beste harde baard.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Meer uit verveelheid as iets anders bel ek my pel by Toyota laasweek, vra hom om my te quote op die volgende Karre:

1) LC Diesel 1HZ D/Cab

2) LC V6 D/Cab

3) Hilux Raider Handrat 4x4 DC (Die cheaper een nie die fancy een nie)

Pryse na Afslag:

1) R 660 000

2) R 635 000

3) R 690 000

.........Die "Cheaper Spec" Hilux is dus R 30 000 duurder as 'n nuwe 1HZ D/Cab, en R 55 000 meer as die Cruiser V6 DC

Is dit net ek, of is die Cruiser skielik nogal nie 'n te bad koop nie?
    Jy sal nie spyt wees nie , die 1HZ enjin loop soos 'n droom by 2100 RPM en diesel brandstof verbruik is by my SW so 10,3l/100km en ek geniet die rit veral lang paaie. Of ek 'n trailer sleep of nie maak nie 'n noemenswaardige verskil nie.
    As jy dalk Dirk van Rensburg op Bethlem raak loop stuur vir hom groete asb van Barry ex DStv agent.
    1996 Landrover 300Tdi--480000km with redesigned radiator
    2011 Landcruiser 76 Stationwagon--150000km
    ZS6YM
    ZS1YM

Daar is 'n YouTube video wat aantoon dat die nuwe 2,8 HiLux engin meer wringkrag, meer kilowatt en ligter op brandstof is as die V8 diesel Cruiser, terwyl daar bykans geen voertuig gewigsverskil is nie.

Waarom Toyota nie dieselfde spoorwydte voor en agter het in die Cruiser nie, en waarom daar nie ordentlike wiellaers in die agteras is nie gaan my verstand te bowe.

Bakkies, net soos vragmotors, word aagekoop met speifieke aanwendings in gedagte. Versnel renne is beslis nie een daarvan nie. Loopkostes wel.

Daardie simpel plasing van die Ctuiser spaarwiel steek my ook dwars in die krop, alhoewel ek baie van die tenk grootte hou, wat natuurlik nodig is met daardie soort verbruik.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethHAllen View Post
    5.5km/l is the fuel consumption you can budget on.
    As I suspected.

So how slow is the 1HZ really and is the diesel consumption really as per Rooiels?

Note that I don't try and exceed the speed limit and generally drive at 110 km/h.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

As I suspected.

So how slow is the 1HZ really and is the diesel consumption really as per Rooiels?
    I got about 7km/l average with the 1Hz 79 series. And yes 5.5 km/l on the V6 is about it.

The 1hz can do 140 km/u comfortable with no load on a level road, but with load or trailer etc it drops to maybe 100 to 110 kpu. To get a slightly higher speed you need to push it quit hard.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/11/16 at 09:25 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    I got about 7km/l average with the 1Hz 79 series. Yes 5.5 km/l on the V6 is about it.
    and how do running costs compare?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

130/140 is a very nice cruising speed in the v8, for me the hilux is a beautiful comfortable thing, auto all the bells and whistles, but it's just not a cruiser,
    2010 D4 V8 HSE
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8
    1290 KTM ADVENTURE R.

and how do running costs compare?
    Over the long run the 1Hz will be more expensive as you need to change oil every 5000km and replace injectors at one stage.
    Johan Kriel

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

And there is a lot more oil to change.

6km/l for my V6, but in thick Kalahari sand in January I reckon it was down to 3.5.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast