Throttle Controller - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Throttle Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Received the unit this morning, and the best word to describe it is, WILD!

I am absolutely gobsmacked with the difference it makes on the 2.5 D40 Navara.

Question, has anybody measured EGT differences when using the different modes?
    Would like to know as well. My uneducated opinion is that it will make no difference as none of the engine parameters (ECU) is affected.

If anything, my vehicle now just never "labours" anymore (will not hang in a higher gear on partial throttle, it kicks down immediately).

Enjoy Dirk, it will take a while for the hooligan in you to disappear and your normal consumption to re-appear.

After a while you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
    Jaco Nell

We spoke about this yesterday at the Brekkie Run. The H3 throttle is just too much in 1st and 2nd Low when climbing, so it springs forward sparking an immediate tapping off causing loss in momentum. Not ideal. I usually climb in D (auto) which allows the vehicle to start in 1st and then change when it needs to without momentum loss.

Other vehicles I would use the aircon to rob the engine of some power to reduce torque when an in between gear would have been great.

This sounds like it might be the thing to look at to dampen the throttle response in 1st and 2nd Low.

It sounds lime its a quick install too. Is this correct?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    We spoke about this yesterday at the Brekkie Run. The H3 throttle is just too much in 1st and 2nd Low when climbing, so it springs forward sparking an immediate tapping off causing loss in momentum. Not ideal. I usually climb in D (auto) which allows the vehicle to start in 1st and then change when it needs to without momentum loss.

Other vehicles I would use the aircon to rob the engine of some power to reduce torque when an in between gear would have been great.

This sounds like it might be the thing to look at to dampen the throttle response in 1st and 2nd Low.

It sounds lime its a quick install too. Is this correct?
    5-10 minutes depending on how flexible you are haha
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alwyn777 For This Useful Post:

A driver without a throttle controller can chase EGTs through the roof with his right foot.
    A throttle controller set to an aggressive mode is the same as a heavy right foot. That go-forward and quick spooling of the turbo, that you guys understandably find addictive, is clear evidence of heavy rightfoot-syndrome and surely must come with higher EGTs.
    Backing off on the controller, as in Estee's post, makes a lot of sense to me.
    Is there a "lock" setting like in some old or hardcore 4x4s, where it will keep the throttle setting fixed for crawling over uneven terrain? I think that is really what Estee is after (and myself, I think).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Backing off on the controller, as in Estee's post, makes a lot of sense to me.
    Is there a "lock" setting like in some old or hardcore 4x4s, where it will keep the throttle setting fixed for crawling over uneven terrain? I think that is really what Estee is after (and myself, I think).
    Thats exactly what sprung to mind when the guys were talking about it yesterday. I need way less response than current standard.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

C'mon Jaconell...
    You are the standard bearer for throttle controllers.
    Is there a "lock" or "crawl" function?

C'mon Jaconell...
    I'm sure the Eco-type modes on these fulfill this function. It greatly reduces response, as opposed to stock and the livelier sport modes
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alwyn777 For This Useful Post:

C'mon Jaconell...
    Roelf, not such a function per sť, but there are settings available that slows down throttle response to slower than the "standard" or factory setting. It actually feels like the engine has fallen out when you use those settings. So I suppose that will more or less meet that requirement.

Secondly, wrt to EGT's, once use to it, I can now manipulate my upchanges to occur at the same rpm's as before installation. So I am not chasing rpm's or faster accelaration. But when the requirement comes around, it gets off the line in a hurry.

Biggest plus for me is the "eager" kickdown. Without doubt I spend less time on the wrong side of the road when overtaking.

Because it now "hangs" on a lower gear longer, the autobox in the MUX hunts far less in hilly country.

Now, here I am an ignoramus and help me if I am wrong - I would rather sit on a long uphill at 2500 rpm in 4th than 2100 rpm in 5th. At 2500 rpm I am in the fat band of the available torque and a bit closer to max kw. Also 5th will not have locked up yet. Will that imply higher EGT's?(being in 4th vs 5th)

Also, because the MUX is now more eager to gear down, I am almost always at the kind of rpm's in 4th/5th/6th that "locks" them up, so I spend less time in a gear that is essentially slipping. Do I make any sense?

Anyhow, the MUX going for 105 000 km service tomorrow, will see what Isuzu has to say about my box of tricks.

Edit : Initially after installation my fuel consumption went backwards because the MUX was having a bit of an identity crisis thinking it is a boyracer of sorts. It has however returned to pre-installation numbers. I think that is telling.

I also have a fair understanding of the conditions that will cause high EGT's. Mostly an uneducated right foot. I avoid it like the plague and further take comfort from the very understressed 3L unit in the MUX.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/01/24 at 08:17 PM.
    Jaco Nell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jaco.
    1) so no lock-up function, that's a pity. It should be easy for them to include it. I suppose there isn't a demand because their market is performance chasers like you, and not old geezers who can still remember the knob you turned to lock the accelerator in place.
    2) the open torque converter isn't bad for the engine. It allows the engine to produce less torque, at higher revs, to do the same job. Remember the torque converter is sometimes also referred to as a torque multiplier. That is likely to be a lower EGT situation, but it will push up tranny oil temperature and consume more fuel.
    3) the gear selection "syndrome" produced by the throttle controller, is a direct result of the gearbox learning/adapting to your aggressive driving style. What you are experiencing is your rightfoot and your brain telling each other that you are driving "normal", but the throttle controller is shouting "hooligan!" at the ECU.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2021/01/25 at 07:09 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Received the unit this morning, and the best word to describe it is, WILD!

I am absolutely gobsmacked with the difference it makes on the 2.5 D40 Navara.

Question, has anybody measured EGT differences when using the different modes?
    is this the manual or Auto?
    I also drive 2.5 Navara Manual. I skeptical about the use of these on Manual. On Auto yes, I would think these are brilliant. but manual not sure.

2.5 Auto

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

I wanted to know for a while what difference does a Throttle Controller make? Well... I have received one to test! Below the link to the review:

https://youtu.be/6Q2qpbuV7aM

Last edited by Bogaards; 2021/01/28 at 08:29 AM.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

Basically how i understand it in layman terms it is mainly this:

Instead of throttle travel 100% = full power it alters it to Less than 100% travel = full power (as per your settings)
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post

Instead of throttle travel 100% = full power it alters it to Less than 100% travel = full power (as per your settings)
    Not 100%...

If you put your foot down flat it will not immediately be at 100% throttle. There is a bit of a ramp up.

The throttle controller reduces this as well. So when it is open it is open.

You can see the difference on the various runs I did.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post

Because the input from the trottle to the ECU is along a curved graph, it is quite a bit more complicated.
    You should rather think of it along the lines of an elastic band. You plant your right foot, but the ECU gets a "drawn out" message and eventually it reaches 100%.
    I can quickly think of 3 reasons why manufacturers will build this "drawn out" feature into their throttle control algorithm.
    1) safety, especially in the hands of a novice.
    2) to protect their product's driveline.
    3) general comfort for driver and passengers
    I can also now better understand why petrol heads like it. I'm convinced most Chip Tuners incorporates this feature to ensure you "feel" the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    Not 100%...

If you put your foot down flat it will not immediately be at 100% throttle. There is a bit of a ramp up.

The throttle controller reduces this as well. So when it is open it is open.

You can see the difference on the various runs I did.
    Thanks for incorporating the graphs in your video, that "turned on the light" for me.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Thanks for incorporating the graphs in your video, that "turned on the light" for me.

Thanks for the feedback Roelf. Have tried to answer to some of the questions I have not seen answered. You think of all these things and once you are done you think I could have said this or that as well...
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

I now go by my new name. Broken Heart. Because Power Plus does not manufacture this part for pre-2013 Isuzu KB 250 DTEQ's. Ek wou bitter graag een gehad het.
    Die B staan vir Beneke

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    I now go by my new name. Broken Heart. Because Power Plus does not manufacture this part for pre-2013 Isuzu KB 250 DTEQ's. Ek wou bitter graag een gehad het.
    Ja-nee jong.
    Those diesel Isuzus are so low-tech they were all fitted with carburetors

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast