Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Why no FJ Cruiser diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    Because it was initially developed for the US market, and they sell more petrol than diesel SUVs, at least they used to. Not sure if diesel has caught up there in the SUV market.

Cheap fuel negates diesels.
    Possibly why there is no manual option, although, and I may be wrong, I think there was in some markets, and even a 2WD version.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    The FJ is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned. If it were available in diesel, I would buy one in a heartbeat

I never got used to the hunting for gears or the eye watering cost to refill, whilst towing. Space wise, there are better over landing vehicles but you can make it work for 2.

I love it’s looks, handling especially off road, off-road ability, reliability, extended fuel tank, ability to carry a second spare on its retro looking roof rack.
    This

Mate of mine had a 4.0 hilux, not sure if it's the same configuration in the FJ? But even just being a passenger in that Hilux drove me nuts. Maybe just his driving style? Not sure, do FJ's do it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Maybe this was asked back when the current FJ shape was launched many turns around the sun ago...Why has Toyota not put the diesel pot in the FJ Cruiser?(Is available else where overSEAS?)I think the 2.8 GD6 will go in proper and be one hellavu machine.
    FJ's was vir die Amerikaanse mark gebou waar hul ook n baie goeie record het en die Amerikaners hou nie van diesel engins nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    FJ's was vir die Amerikaanse mark gebou waar hul ook n baie goeie record het en die Amerikaners hou nie van diesel engins nie.
    The opposite actually, look at their forums and they are crying out for diesels in their smaller trucks.
    FJC - Just Cruising

They made Diesel FJ Cruisers in the Far East, Malaysia market. The reason no diesels originally is US big three
    control emissions regulations. They make them so strict they even had to fudge the tests to pass the new GM
    small 4 cyl diesel. And in Canada gasoline is $1.15 / litre. In US $1.60 / Gallon!
    I looked at buying and importing a diesel FJ from Malaysia, but they command a high price - $30K US on average.
    Plus importing costs not worth it.
    Since I already drive a 12HT 60 series wagon!

I can only imagine the sound of a diesel FJ Just won't be right!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2018 Hilux 2.4 4x4 D/C
    Afrispoor Serval

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandveld For This Useful Post:

As noted previously, the FJ originated as a "lifestyle" vehicle out of the US (California IIRC). I don't think Toyota had an appropriate off-the-shelf US EPA-approved diesel at the time, so developing one for the relatively few buyers didn't make sense. The price of petrol has dropped in the US to the point fuel economy is not much concern. In the lower 48 states, range is not much of an issue, either (you can hardly find a place that is more than 60 km from a tarred road). Add in the tightening diesel emissions standards (that VW group and Mercedes and others fudged) and you can see diminishing returns on what would likely be an expensive option.

"Adventure overlanding" in the USA is all the rage - I saw a brand-new Volvo XC90 with a Thule RTT last weekend. And the number of lifted Toyota Tacomas with Alucab roof tents is surprising. I bet winter will be educational for them. And all used cars have soared in value since the pandemic - supply (low) and demand (high).

I considered an FJ when I was shopping for a Defender 110 replacement in SA. There's just the two of us, so the funky rear seat and smaller load space was not really an issue. But petrol-only was enough to make me look elsewhere. I bought a 4.2 LC 76 instead. According to Wikipedia "As of January 2020, it is still sold in markets such as Chile, South Africa, the Middle East and the Philippines". This may indicate it would have required updates to safety systems required in more restrictive markets, but that's just a guess. You can see sales were never that great

Attached Images Attached Images  

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanAmSteve For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserpilot View Post
    They made Diesel FJ Cruisers in the Far East, Malaysia market. The reason no diesels originally is US big three
    control emissions regulations. They make them so strict they even had to fudge the tests to pass the new GM
    small 4 cyl diesel. And in Canada gasoline is $1.15 / litre. In US $1.60 / Gallon!
    I looked at buying and importing a diesel FJ from Malaysia, but they command a high price - $30K US on average.
    Plus importing costs not worth it.
    Since I already drive a 12HT 60 series wagon!
    Where do you get this info from, no diesels ever came out of Japan so it must have been after fitment.
    FJC - Just Cruising

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post
    As noted previously, the FJ originated as a "lifestyle" vehicle out of the US (California IIRC). I don't think Toyota had an appropriate off-the-shelf US EPA-approved diesel at the time, so developing one for the relatively few buyers didn't make sense. The price of petrol has dropped in the US to the point fuel economy is not much concern. In the lower 48 states, range is not much of an issue, either (you can hardly find a place that is more than 60 km from a tarred road). Add in the tightening diesel emissions standards (that VW group and Mercedes and others fudged) and you can see diminishing returns on what would likely be an expensive option.

"Adventure overlanding" in the USA is all the rage - I saw a brand-new Volvo XC90 with a Thule RTT last weekend. And the number of lifted Toyota Tacomas with Alucab roof tents is surprising. I bet winter will be educational for them. And all used cars have soared in value since the pandemic - supply (low) and demand (high).

I considered an FJ when I was shopping for a Defender 110 replacement in SA. There's just the two of us, so the funky rear seat and smaller load space was not really an issue. But petrol-only was enough to make me look elsewhere. I bought a 4.2 LC 76 instead. According to Wikipedia "As of January 2020, it is still sold in markets such as Chile, South Africa, the Middle East and the Philippines". This may indicate it would have required updates to safety systems required in more restrictive markets, but that's just a guess. You can see sales were never that great

The 4.2 straight 6 diesel gives around 7 km/l? That's what the FJ does, but at least one can overtake on an incline...
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Agteros View Post
    Ek het ook so een gery - iets het seker ook vasgehaak of vinniger getel.
    Ek het gesien sy tank is 160l dit verduidelik ook die syfers, maar nog steeds om by 'n gemiddeld van 9km/l uit te kom is fantasties, hoe stadig ry julle ouens?

Ek vergelyk met my Jeep Cherokee 3.2 Trailhawk, hy is nog nuut en moet nog inloop maar as ek BAIE mooi ry sal ek so 8.5km/l kan kry.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

The FJ was essentially built on the Prado platform. Chatted to a Toyota salesman many moons ago and his opinion was that the FJ in diesel would hurt Prado sales.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Truwin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Truwin View Post
    The FJ was essentially built on the Prado platform. Chatted to a Toyota salesman many moons ago and his opinion was that the FJ in diesel would hurt Prado sales.
    It was actually the 4runner platform, if you look at engine version and part time 4x4 config. The 4Runner doesn't come in diesel either.
    There where 4x2 and manual 6 speed versions made of the FJ
    4Runner and Prado share the same platform, but the Prado was permanent 4x4 and had the single VVTi engine at the time.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Truwin View Post
    This sounds like something TSA would do...
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The 4.2 straight 6 diesel gives around 7 km/l? That's what the FJ does, but at least one can overtake on an incline...
    The difference is possibly more pronounced off-road, and carrying extra diesel much preferable to petrol. My LC76 tank is 130L. FJ is 72L? I do agree the FJ is better for going fast, if that's the objective.

Quote Originally Posted by canamsteve View Post
    the difference is possibly more pronounced off-road, and carrying extra diesel much preferable to petrol. My lc76 tank is 130l. Fj is 72l? I do agree the fj is better for going fast, if that's the objective.
    159l
    FJC - Just Cruising

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post
    The difference is possibly more pronounced off-road, and carrying extra diesel much preferable to petrol. My LC76 tank is 130L. FJ is 72L? I do agree the FJ is better for going fast, if that's the objective.
    FJ cruiser has a capacity of 159l since the 2013 update.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    FJ cruiser has a capacity of 159l since the 2013 update.
    and even the earlier models have got a massive empty space behind the rear axle just waiting for a 85l+ tank to be fitted.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I think a 4.2L TDi FJ would be cool.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I think a 4.2L TDi FJ would be cool.

Or a 4.5L TD V8.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Or a 4.5L TD V8.
    Absolutely
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast