Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 7 Month Southern/East African Trip Rwanda and Uganda

Covid allowing, we are planning to do a 7-month trip from May to Nov 2021. I would imagine most reading this thread have been following the Zambian and Tanzanian queries of ours but for those that havent the following is pertinent. Our likely route will be Bots / Zim / Zam / Tan / Rwa / Uga / Ken / Tan / Mal / Zam / Zim.

With all that covered I am now respectfully seeking advice for the Rwandan and Ugandan sector of our trip. We are travelling on our own (Linda and I) and would like to camp whenever possible. I have read significantly from previous TRs and for the Rwandan sector we are likely to enter via Rusumu on +/-2 August and for the Ugandan sector we are likely to exit via Malaba on +/-5 September. A rough route that we wish to follow is;

1. Via Via Kigali (Kigali) 3 nights (Genocide Memorials x 3)
    2. Uwinka Campsite (Nyungwe Forest) 2 nights
    3. Via Via Kigali (Kigali) 1 night (alternate travel along Lake Kivu to Paradis Malahide (Gisenyi))
    4. Kinigi Guesthouse (Volcanoes NP) 2 nights (possible gorilla trekking or Ruhija)
    5. Bunyonyi Overland Resort 2 nights
    6. Ruhija Community Rest Camp 2 nights (possible gorilla trekking or Volcanoes)
    7. Ishasha River Campsite #2 (QENP) 2 nights
    8. Kazinga Channel Camp #2 (QENP) 1 night
    9. Kluges Guest Farm (Fort Portal) 3 nights
    10. Kanyanchu River Camp (Kibale NP) 2 nights
    11. Masindi Hotel 2 nights
    12. Northern Bank Campsite no 1 (MFNP) 3 nights
    13. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary 2 nights
    14. Nkima Forest Lodge (Mabamba) 2 nights
    15. Red Chili Hideaway (Kampala) 2 nights
    16. The Haven (Jinja) 3 nights

My apologies and thanks in advance once again to Stan for copying much of what he did in Slow Donkey, if it aint broke.. This looked like a great starting point to us.

Are there any important areas that I have overlooked? Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Default Re: 7 Month Southern/East African Trip – Rwanda and Uganda

Rwanda

Your current plan has you missing one of the great sights in Rwanda - Lake Kivu. Unless you go from Nyungwe Forest along the lake to Kibuye and Gisenyi. And then Gisenyi to Volcanoes NP. That then makes a very nice circular tour of the great sites of Rwanda.

Uganda

If you are going to go gorilla trekking in Uganda then you may well need to go to the main HQ at Buhoma.

I am not sure that the riverside campsites at Ishasha section of QENP are open again, but there will be an alternative set up, I’m sure. The UWA is actually very efficient. You will be given overnight security anywhere in Ishasha. I think the main section of QENP deserves more than one night. You can go on a boat trip on the Kazinga Channel.

Kibale NP/Fort Portal to Masindi is a long old way. Ensure you leave very early. I have read that the Chinese are working on this road to Hoima, but don’t know if it is finished.

I see you have chosen not to visit the remote Kidepo Valley NP. Perhaps a good idea to save something for a future visit.

Kampala is to be avoided if at all possible. It is rather chaotic - albeit the city is beautifully positioned. If possible, rather stay in Entebbe.

I hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/11/02 at 11:56 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 7 Month Southern/East African Trip Rwanda and Uganda

Just so you dont get another shock about vehicle fees, Uganda charges USD150 for foreign registered 4x4s. But the good news is that this is not per day and is the fee whether you are in a park for one day or a week. The vehicle fees are on page 4 of this document.

https://www.ugandawildlife.org/phoca...020-2022-O.pdf

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

In the main looks reasonable, perhaps some small tweaks.

Rwanda, I agree that Lake Kivu is worthy of inclusion and the route advised by WW. I would not go back to Kigali as itemized in no 3.

Uganda, agree also that the long detour to Kidepo might take too much time and effort in the context of your trip.
    I am not certain that Kanyanchu River Camp in Kibale Forest is still functioning, but you have nearby alternatives.
    Three nights might be 1 night too long at Kluges, perhaps rather extra night at Kazinga. But you can see how you feel at the time. Kluges certainly is a lovely facility to take a break from all the travelling as are Bunyonyi Overland Resort and most especially The Haven.
    Kampala is hectic but for us newbe's, no worse than Nairobi probably. Red Chili is very pleasantly suburban in Kampala.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Rwanda

Your current plan has you missing one of the great sights in Rwanda - Lake Kivu. Unless you go from Nyungwe Forest along the lake to Kibuye and Gisenyi. And then Gisenyi to Volcanoes NP. That then makes a very nice circular tour of the great sites of Rwanda.

Uganda

If you are going to go gorilla trekking in Uganda then you may well need to go to the main HQ at Buhoma.

I am not sure that the riverside campsites at Ishasha section of QENP are open again, but there will be an alternative set up, Im sure. The UWA is actually very efficient. You will be given overnight security anywhere in Ishasha. I think the main section of QENP deserves more than one night. You can go on a boat trip on the Kazinga Channel.

Kibale NP/Fort Portal to Masindi is a long old way. Ensure you leave very early. I have read that the Chinese are working on this road to Hoima, but dont know if it is finished.

I see you have chosen not to visit the remote Kidepo Valley NP. Perhaps a good idea to save something for a future visit.

Kampala is to be avoided if at all possible. It is rather chaotic - albeit the city is beautifully positioned. If possible, rather stay in Entebbe.

I hope this is helpful.
    Hi WW, thanks for your input. Yes, in Rwanda we are aware of missing Kivu, you may have seen my comment after the second time in Kigali mentioning that Kivu is an alternate route and one that we would consider, I was just concerned about the road along the lake from Nyungwe to Gisenyi, I know Stan found the 2nd half of the route tough with Slow Donkey, if we have an RTT rather than Kamba we wouldn't hesitate.

Sorry to hear that riverside sites in Ishasha may be unavailable, we would be happy to extend our Kazinga stay to 2 nights, At least 3 nights in QENP are required, will have to relook at how that is broken down.

Thanks for head's up on Kibale to Masindi, I have the distance at about 270kms so thought that this would be a +/- 8 hour day.

Struggled to choose between Kidepo/Sipi Falls vs Ziwa/Nkima. Unfortunately time does not allow us to fit both in.

I was concerned about Kampala as the way I see it we may have to go through it twice, firstly from Ziwa to Nkima and again from Nkima to the Haven at Jinja. Is there a way to avoid Kampala? I thought we may have to go there to stock up for the next part of our trip.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Just so you dont get another shock about vehicle fees, Uganda charges USD150 for foreign registered 4x4s. But the good news is that this is not per day and is the fee whether you are in a park for one day or a week. The vehicle fees are on page 4 of this document.

https://www.ugandawildlife.org/phoca...020-2022-O.pdf
    Yes I saw this in other posts somewhere, however all our National Park stays in Uganda are 2 or 3 days so not too bitter a pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Hi WW, thanks for your input. Yes, in Rwanda we are aware of missing Kivu, you may have seen my comment after the second time in Kigali mentioning that Kivu is an alternate route and one that we would consider, I was just concerned about the road along the lake from Nyungwe to Gisenyi, I know Stan found the 2nd half of the route tough with Slow Donkey, if we have an RTT rather than Kamba we wouldn't hesitate.

Sorry to hear that riverside sites in Ishasha may be unavailable, we would be happy to extend our Kazinga stay to 2 nights, At least 3 nights in QENP are required, will have to relook at how that is broken down.

Thanks for head's up on Kibale to Masindi, I have the distance at about 270kms so thought that this would be a +/- 8 hour day.

Struggled to choose between Kidepo/Sipi Falls vs Ziwa/Nkima. Unfortunately time does not allow us to fit both in.

I was concerned about Kampala as the way I see it we may have to go through it twice, firstly from Ziwa to Nkima and again from Nkima to the Haven at Jinja. Is there a way to avoid Kampala? I thought we may have to go there to stock up for the next part of our trip.
    See this from 2019. The road along Lake Kivu would appear to be tarmac. https://twomonkeys.in/day-169-170-kc...yungwe-forest/

I think there is a new bypass around Kampala, but Im not sure. There is definitely a new expressway from Entebbe to Kampala. You could do a resupply in Entebbe or Jinja? But it will be difficult to completely avoid Kampala especially as you are going to Mabamba swamp for the shoebills.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

On Google Earth you can see a beautiful tarmac road winding up Lake Kivu. There are even painted lines!
    All the way to Gisenyi.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Yes I would think that the abovementioned road along Lake Kivu will be great now. There were massive earthworks and reconstruction going on 5 years ago.
    Stanley Weakley.

Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    In the main looks reasonable, perhaps some small tweaks.

Rwanda, I agree that Lake Kivu is worthy of inclusion and the route advised by WW. I would not go back to Kigali as itemized in no 3. Yes, agreed, with your and WW's later post confirming tarmac all the way I think we will do Kivu with either a night at each of Presbyterian Hotel Center, Bethanie and Paradis Malahide, Gisenyi or maybe 2 nights at Paradis Malahide, Gisenyi.

Uganda, agree also that the long detour to Kidepo might take too much time and effort in the context of your trip. We are opting to go south to Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary and Nkima Forest Lodge, Mabamba rather than north to Kidepo and Sipi Falls primarily to see the Shoebill in case we haven't seen them at Bangweulu, if we see them at Bangweulu we may rather go north. The rhino are not a major drawcard as we will stay at Khama a few months earlier.
    I am not certain that Kanyanchu River Camp in Kibale Forest is still functioning, but you have nearby alternatives. We will investigate further, Chimpanzee Foest Guesthouse looks like a viable alternative.
    Three nights might be 1 night too long at Kluges, perhaps rather extra night at Kazinga. But you can see how you feel at the time. Kluges certainly is a lovely facility to take a break from all the travelling as are Bunyonyi Overland Resort and most especially The Haven. Swop done in our "plan".
    Kampala is hectic but for us newbe's, no worse than Nairobi probably. Red Chili is very pleasantly suburban in Kampala. Noted.

bucket list thread

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

When we drove from Nyungwe to Gisenyi in 2017 they were working on the road, and in fact it was in good shape even with the construction - should be excellent now (as noted above). It took us about 6 hours (moving time) and it should take less if you go straight through (we stopped a night in Kibuye, so added an hour or so to the travel time).

We've been in and out of Kampala several times - there is a route to Jinja which takes you north east to Kayunga then you can head south east to Jinja. It's a good alternative. You leave the Northern Bypass at the Kalerwe Roundabout and take the Gayaza Road. If the Bypass is now complete then you should be OK staying on it however.

2. Uwinka Campsite (Nyungwe Forest) 2 nights - there are two places to stay near Uwinka which are an alternative if it's raining a lot - the KCCEM guest house (east) and Gisakura Wildlife Conservation Guest House (west). We've stayed at all three and the guest houses are economical and friendly.
    3. Via Via Kigali (Kigali) 1 night (alternate travel along Lake Kivu to Paradis Malahide (Gisenyi)) - I agree that this is well worth while.
    4. Kinigi Guesthouse (Volcanoes NP) 2 nights (possible gorilla trekking or Ruhija) - the Gorilla walk is excellent, albeit not cheap(!). The Golden Monkey walk is also very good.
    5. Bunyonyi Overland Resort 2 nights
    6. Ruhija Community Rest Camp 2 nights (possible gorilla trekking or Volcanoes)
    7. Ishasha River Campsite #2 (QENP) 2 nights - well worth it if open. Ask at the entrance for the whereabouts of the "tree lions".
    8. Kazinga Channel Camp #2 (QENP) 1 night
    9. Kluges Guest Farm (Fort Portal) 3 nights
    10. Kanyanchu River Camp (Kibale NP) 2 nights
    11. Masindi Hotel 2 nights
    12. Northern Bank Campsite no 1 (MFNP) 3 nights
    13. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary 2 nights - excellent!
    14. Nkima Forest Lodge (Mabamba) 2 nights
    15. Red Chili Hideaway (Kampala) 2 nights
    16. The Haven (Jinja) 3 nights - an alternative in Jinja is Living Waters Resort which has a great view over the "start of the Nile". It's worth visiting Itanda Falls while in the area.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

Here is our trip report after we had revisited “The Pearl of Africa” specifically to go to the remote Kidepo Valley NP.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-January-2016
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/11/04 at 01:02 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Here is our trip report after we had revisited The Pearl of Africa specifically to go to the remote Kidepo Valley NP.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t-January-2016
    Kidepo is really good, in our view, and also gives a chance to visit the Northeast, and East. The Karamojong have retained their culture more than many. We enjoyed the area north of Mt Elgon as well (although it was among the most challenging in terms of progress - 109 Km in 4 days to get around the mountain!).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post
    ... We enjoyed the area north of Mt Elgon as well (although it was among the most challenging in terms of progress - 109 Km in 4 days to get around the mountain!).
    Alans route into Kenya was round the north side of Mt Elgon to the Suam River border crossing into Kenya and they had a catastrophic breakdown during the rains.

Coming from Kidepo to the Sipi Falls area and Mbale, one doesnt have to go on Alans route from Kapchorwa to Suam River (although we have done this route in the dry season and it was a rough dirt road, but beautiful).

Having said that, I wouldnt recommend the drive through Pian Upe in the rains. That low-lying area effectively turns into a swamp in the rains as it is an important water catchment area for the water off Mt Elgon which ends up in Lake Kyoga and the Nile.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Alans route into Kenya was round the north side of Mt Elgon to the Suam River border crossing into Kenya and they had a catastrophic breakdown during the rains.

Coming from Kidepo to the Sipi Falls area and Mbale, one doesnt have to go on Alans route from Kapchorwa to Suam River (although we have done this route in the dry season and it was a rough dirt road, but beautiful).

Having said that, I wouldnt recommend the drive through Pian Upe in the rains. That low-lying area effectively turns into a swamp in the rains as it is an important water catchment area for the water off Mt Elgon which ends up in Lake Kyoga and the Nile.
    Yes - we had a seized hub bearing - a great way to meet people! The key lesson - don't use (or be persuaded to use) non-OEM parts.

There are two routes (at least) around the north of Mt Elgon - one is the "upper" route - a beautiful drive. The other is in the plains - less attractive. We actually took the upper most of the way and a detour down (steeply) the mountain, and then back up again further on - spectacular!

We had planned this particular trip to avoid the "wrong" season everywhere, and did succeed except for this part of the trip - hence very (very) difficult road conditions.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for all the advice that I have received. I have now decided upon a provisional route with two options as noted below. The revised routes are as follows:

2. Uwinka Campsite (Nyungwe Forest) 2 nights
    3. Presbyterian Hotel Center Bethanie 1 night
    4. Paradis Malahide Gisenyi - 1 night
    5. Kinigi Guesthouse (Volcanoes NP) 2 nights (possible gorilla trekking or Buhoma)
    6. Bunyonyi Overland Resort 2 nights
    7. Buhoma Community Rest Camp 2 nights (possible gorilla trekking or Volcanoes)
    8. Ishasha River Campsite #2, if available or seek alternate in same vicinity (QENP) 2 nights
    9. Kazinga Channel Camp #2 (QENP) 2 nights
    10. Kluges Guest Farm (Fort Portal) 2 nights
    11. Chimpanzee Forest Guesthouse (Kibale NP) 2 nights
    12. Masindi Hotel 2 nights
    13. Northern Bank Campsite no 1 (MFNP) 3 nights

Option 1 assumes we haven't seen Shoebill in Zambia

1. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary 2 nights
    2. Nkima Forest Lodge (Mabamba) 2 nights
    3. Red Chili Hideaway (Kampala) or possibly Entebbe 2 nights
    4. The Haven (Jinja) 3 nights

Option 2 assumes we have seen Shoebill in Zambia
    1. Nagusokopire or Kakine Campsite (Kidepo NP) 2 nights this is a long drive from MFNP
    2. Kidepo Valley NP HQ 1 night
    3. Brownstone Country Home (Lira) 1 night I have avoided Sipi Falls due to uncertainty of the road
    4. The Haven (Jinja) 3 nights

I hope these options make sense, thanks to all concerned.

Your plans make a lot of sense to me, but I would say that wouldn't I
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Your plans make a lot of sense to me, but I would say that wouldn't I
    Without Slow Donkey I wouldn't have known where to start - only Kenya to come now which will be posted by the time you wake up tomorrow - thanks Stan. On the one hand I feel I'm cheating following your lead, on the other hand I know the reason you posted your reports was to help people like me - "on the one hand........on the other hand", I feel like Naas Botha

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Your safari around the Pearl of Africa is looking good, John.

If you are not taking your caravan, I dont think you have anything to fear about the route through Karamoja and Pian Upe. Dont be put off by Alan as he wasnt on this road when he had his catastrophic breakdown. But you can always visit Sipi Falls as a side trip from Jinja enroute to the Kenya border at Tororo or Busia.

All the old ex-government or old railways hotels are also good places to stay if needed (no camping). Having been built in colonial days, they are in the best and nicest positions in a town - Lira Hotel (we had coffee there in 2017), Bomah Hotel in Kitgum (we stayed there in 2017), Mount Elgon Hotel in Mbale (a number of visits for coffee in 2017), for instance. Masindi Hotel was built by the East African Railways and Harbours in 1923. And I think the Soroti Hotel in Soroti, the Acholi Inn in Gulu, and the Moroto Hotel in Moroto are also old colonial government hotels. Some are more faded than others, but charming nonetheless.

The Bradt guide to Uganda is a good one.

I look forward to seeing your planned route around Kenya.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast