Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default MediaRelease: LANDCRUISER PRADO POWERED UP WITH NEW 2.8 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

Toyota's popular Land Cruiser Prado has received a significant upgrade with more power and torque as well as new multimedia technologies.

Power Up

At the heart of the revised range is an additional 30kW of power and 100Nm of torque derived from the switch to the new-generation 2.8-litre GD-6 turbo diesel engine, that is now mated exclusively to a six-speed automatic transmission (previously five-speed).

Prado's overlanding and towing credentials benefit from the higher-performance engine that now delivers a maximum of [email protected] and 500Nm over a wider 1600-2800rpm band.

The latest generation 2.8 GD-6 engine (as debuted in the updated Hilux) has received a raft of upgrades including a new ball-bearing turbocharger with a larger turbine and impeller, and improved engine rigidity and cooling. Better fuel economy is realised through optimised pistons and piston rings, changes to the cylinder block and head, higher fuel-injection flow rate and the adoption of high-performance materials for the exhaust manifold.

A newly-fitted balance shaft helps smooth out engine vibrations, improving NVH performance and contributing to an even higher degree of refinement.

Enhanced Efficiency & Towing

Despite the substantially stronger outputs, fuel consumption improves to 7.9 litres/100km and CO2 emissions are down to 209 g/km. Fuel capacity is 150 litres with an 87-litre main tank and 63-litre sub tank. Maximum braked towing capacity is increased to 3,000kg on 2.8 models.

New Infotainment

A new-generation multimedia system is fitted across the range, which now incorporates a larger 9-inch touchscreen display (previous 8-inch), enhanced voice recognition and compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Customers are able to utilise mobile-phone-services such as Google Maps, Waze, Spotify, SoundCloud etc. to enhance their driving experience – while providing enhanced telephony and messaging interfaces ‘on-the-fly’.

Model Line-Up & Pricing

Prado 2.8L Diesel TX – R 939,900
    Prado 4.0L Petrol VX – R 1,029,000
    Prado 2.8L Diesel VX – R 1,060,600
    Prado 4.0L Petrol VX-L – R 1,072,600
    Prado 2.8L Diesel VX-L – R 1,105,800

The model line-up and 4.0 V6 engine remains unchanged.

Warranty & Maintenance

All Prado models are sold with a 9-services/90 000 km service plan – with 10 000 km service intervals. A 3-year/100 000 km warranty is also provided. Customers can purchase an additional service plan and warranty extensions from their local Toyota dealer – and benefit from the biggest dealer network in the country (over 220).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado 2.8_2.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	345.6 KB 
ID:	594038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prado 2.8_1.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	299.2 KB 
ID:	594039  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MediaReleases For This Useful Post:

Default Re: MediaRelease: LANDCRUISER PRADO POWERED UP WITH NEW 2.8 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

As much as I’m a fan of the increase power and finally decent fuel consumption, in the diesels that is, but for petes sake Toyota, the Prado suppose to be a premium vehicle in all aspects. Up the power and torque compared to the other variants you put the same motor in!!! The Hilux and Fortuner has the same...
    Really a continued low for me.
    Its an awesome vehicle finally but yeah around R300k more from the Fortuner to the Prado that has the same motor...
    Don't stress, I’m sure you’re not, you’ll sell loads
    Last edited by AK77; 2020/10/31 at 05:15 AM.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: MediaRelease: LANDCRUISER PRADO POWERED UP WITH NEW 2.8 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    As much as I’m a fan of the increase power and finally decent fuel consumption, in the diesels that is, but for petes sake Toyota, the Prado suppose to be a premium vehicle in all aspects. Up the power and torque compared to the other variants you put the same motor in!!! The Hilux and Fortuner has the same...
    Really a continued low for me.
    Its an awesome vehicle finally but yeah around R300k more from the Fortuner to the Prado that has the same motor...
    Don't stress, I’m sure your not, you’ll sell loads
    Jup. Agree. If the Prado came with a V6 diesel pushing 200kw it would be on my shopping list. But for the price per kw it surely has to be the worst money can buy
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Jup. Agree. If the Prado came with a V6 diesel pushing 200kw it would be on my shopping list. But for the price per kw it surely has to be the worst money can buy
    Don’t buy it then. I have ordered mine.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swazi123 For This Useful Post:

Prado is not meant to compete with the Disco 5 and touregs etc. Not priced to compete with them and not build for that purpose.

With a V6 pushing 200kw it will be in the same price bracket as the LC200.

Buy a LC200 or Toureg or Disco 5 if you have the money to pay for a V6 200kw premium class vehicle.

I dont, so the Prado with a 2.8 4 cylinder with 500nm and all the off road aids and luxury you can wish for, is the perfect fit for me and with more power than I will ever need for the purpose I will use it for.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2020/10/30 at 11:04 PM.
    Francois

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

@Swazi123 and @Francois111, The comparison I’m making I think is missed. Yes a comparison to other brands can be made, then should be made the same too. What I mean is this...
    Does the Toureg and the Tiguan have the same motor anywhere? No. Toureg has a 3.0TDI and the Tiguan a 2.0TDI. Does the new Defender and new Discovery have the same motor? No. Same, a 2.0 diesel and 3.0 diesel respectively. Now compare that to the new Fortuner and Prado, they’re the same. Yes I understand the brands are different, but look at the thinking in each brand from one model to the next model up.
    Who ever buys the new Prado, absolutely great. Whoever buys the new Fortuner, in my opinion, you’re getting a better deal (because you’re getting the same motor for +-R300k less and in my simple world that’s a fortune less. Yes I also understand you gotta pay for all the luxuries the Prado gives).
    My further thought, Toyota SA, how about develop a fuel efficient and capable 2.0 diesel. Than you can compare apples with apples, like to the new Fords i.e. Hilux vs. Ranger (and vs. Amarok) and Fortuner vs. Everest (@ +- 140KW to 150KW). Also then a 2.8 - 3.0 6-cylinder, @ +-200KW for the Prado and the VX Prado can be compared to the luxury of the Toureg AND will whip the Toureg properly in off-road capability also (imagine if Toyota pulls that off with a 2.8 4-cylinder with even 180KW? Now you’re talking my language...)
    Last edited by AK77; 2020/10/31 at 07:11 AM.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Whoever buys the new Fortuner, in my opinion, you’re getting a better deal (because you’re getting the same motor for +-R300k less and in my simple world that’s a fortune less. Yes I also understand you gotta pay for all the luxuries the Prado gives.
    I dont have a horse in this race so maybe I shouldnt comment. If specification, performance and capability are the criteria, this makes perfect sense. Ego cost = R300K?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi123 View Post
    Don’t buy it then. I have ordered mine.
    I’m allowed my opinion no??

Anyway. Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy it
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    Prado is not meant to compete with the Disco 5 and touregs etc. Not priced to compete with them and not build for that purpose.

With a V6 pushing 200kw it will be in the same price bracket as the LC200.

Buy a LC200 or Toureg or Disco 5 if you have the money to pay for a V6 200kw premium class vehicle.

I dont, so the Prado with a 2.8 4 cylinder with 500nm and all the off road aids and luxury you can wish for, is the perfect fit for me and with more power than I will ever need for the purpose I will use it for.
    I am purely comparing on price. For 1.1bar there are a lot better engines around than a 4pot diesel
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

I’m allowed my opinion no??

Anyway. Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy it
    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. But, you are not entitled to your own facts: “worst money can buy”. And, in any event, the difference between the VX Fortuner and TX Prado is R 150k. But, that doesn’t sound quite so dramatic, does it.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swazi123 For This Useful Post:

Seems like a lot of people see a vehicle here mainly as an engine on wheels. How about having a look at the overall package? And then again, don't just compare specs from the brochures, but actually get yourself into the position to compare the 2, properly.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Seems like a lot of people see a vehicle here mainly as an engine on wheels. How about having a look at the overall package? And then again, don't just compare specs from the brochures, but actually get yourself into the position to compare the 2, properly.
    Well thats true. Of course the Prado is more spacious and in VX/VXL grade its more comfie than fortuner, and well, more equipped.

But yes I'm one of those that also think a motor more powerful than hilux/fortuner cohort would have been a nice-to-have product differentiator.

But again, the new upgrades are a nice welcome.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Well thats true. Of course the Prado is more spacious and in VX/VXL grade its more comfie than fortuner, and well, more equipped.

But yes I'm one of those that also think a motor more powerful than hilux/fortuner cohort would have been a nice-to-have product differentiator.

But again, the new upgrades are a nice welcome.
    I understand your point.

For me there is a concept of "enough". If the vehicle performs well enough, why would I want a different engine, just because there is a "lesser" vehicle out there sharing the same engine.
    Look at VW / Audi. Same engines get used across the range, be it Golf, Passat and then the various Audis including SUVs. Most manufacturers work that way and it keeps the cost down.

The Prado was introduced to compete against the Pajero and maybe the Discovery 2.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Swazi123 View Post
    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. But, you are not entitled to your own facts: “worst money can buy”. And, in any event, the difference between the VX Fortuner and TX Prado is R 150k. But, that doesn’t sound quite so dramatic, does it.
    So against which cars in your opinion should I compare the Prado with?

And I didn’t say worst money can buy. I said worst kw for your ZAR in the bracket
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

BRAVO... post of the year nomineee.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulWW For This Useful Post:

I am definitely not only looking at the engine!! The Prado is a brilliant vehicle let down by a sub standard engine for the price bracket. That is my argument. I am not saying put in the V8 but surely they could have upped the kw and torque to differentiate from the Fortuner and bring it on par with the competitors in the bracket

The argument about VW/Audi is true, same engine, but vastly different power outputs in different models!!!
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

People buy Prados because they are luxury vehicles that are reliable. The 2.8 is more than enough to get a Prado moving along.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

101% well said, all too often plenty comments and opinions without having been in the two vehicles, for what it's worth I would rather drive the current 120kw D4D Prado than the current 130kw D4D Fortuner any day - the engine is only part of the package!
    FJC - Just Cruising

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Does Toyota even have V6 Turbo Diesel.

Mute point, then.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Does Toyota even have V6 Turbo Diesel.

Mute point, then.
    Yes they do, shortly
    FJC - Just Cruising

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast