Default Towing with a Ranger RAPTOR - Tando or NOT???

Hi,

I was hoping for some cleaver people with relevant experience to give advice regarding towing with a Ranger RAPTOR.

Due to the FOX suspension (which makes the RAPTOR a kick-ass and fun vehicle off-road ) the RAPTOR tends to sag fairly quickly in the back when hitching a trailer or caravanand yes, I know it is limited to a towing capacity of only 2,500kg due to the suspension. Dont get me wrong, it tows like demon love-child raised on Redbull , but I would have hoped the rear coils would be more a progressive type that could take the weight slightly better.

I have already been advised that airhelpers are not recommended as it will push against a section on the chassis not originally designed to take the load. The alternative is to replace the already expensive suspension parts with some other equally expensive suspension parts which does not make financial sense considering that the current only have 6,000km on it.

So the intro question is; will a stabilizer such as a Tando (or similar) lift the vehicle when hitching a caravan? The answer will probably be yes.

The actual question is; will this affect the vehicles Trailer Sway Control (TSC) system? I get conflicting answers depending which Ford dealer I speak with. Some say a Tando will cause the TSC system to misinterpret the feedback when the caravan starts to swing and will possibly overcorrect causing an even bigger problem (warranty void). Others say a Tando will complement the TSC system and possibly rectify the problem even before TSC system is required to step in (warranty not even mentioned).

I look forward to your constructive feedback and not getting this thread diluted with brand-bashing.

Thanks,
    Zak

Ford RAPTOR Bi-Turbo 4x4
    Sensation 17ft Bowrider - 115Hp Mercury
    Jurgens Fleetline
    Jurgens XT120 & Tentco RTT
    SOLD - Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi XLT 4x4
    SOLD - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8i
    SOLD - 4X4 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4
    SOLD - Honda NC700X

Default Re: Towing with a Ranger RAPTOR - Tando or NOT???

Cant comment on the ranger per se, but I have towed extensively with a Touareg and now Q7 with a stabilizer and it does not affect the stability control system at all. The combination of the 2 system makes for effortless towing and I cannot see any reason why the ranger will not be the same.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

The Land Cruiser DC has a massive overhang compared and lots of guys use airbags with great success. Ok, if you pump them excessively hard, load 1.5 ton and go for high speed bundu bashing you may damage the chassis, but I cannot see how sensible use will result in any form of damage.

Perhaps get a 2nd and/or 3rd opinion. It would be a shame to move away from a near-perfect suspension setup as you mention.

The beauty of the airbag system is you only inflate them when really required, rest of the time you pump them at 0.5 BAR, goes unnoticed and don't affect your OEM setup.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

Zak, are you sure that the air helpers are not recommended specifically for the Raptor?
    So far I have only heard that they might put strain on parts of the chassis not supposed to take load in case of leaf springs, like in the normal Ranger bakkie. With those kind of springs the air helper would sit in between the mounting points of the spring itself, certainly an area which was not designed to take load.

I believe with coil springs, the air helpers would sit inside the coil and hence the forces would work at the same area of the chassis as the coil springs themself.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Zak, are you sure that the air helpers are not recommended specifically for the Raptor?
    So far I have only heard that they might put strain on parts of the chassis not supposed to take load in case of leaf springs, like in the normal Ranger bakkie. With those kind of springs the air helper would sit in between the mounting points of the spring itself, certainly an area which was not designed to take load.

I believe with coil springs, the air helpers would sit inside the coil and hence the forces would work at the same area of the chassis as the coil springs themself.
    Yes, I was told by the fitment center at Lazarus Ford Centurion that it will put loads on the chassis where it wasn't designed for. The FOX suspension on the RAPTOR is a coil-over-shock design both in the front and back. Back ones are more beefy though.

Ford RAPTOR Bi-Turbo 4x4
    Sensation 17ft Bowrider - 115Hp Mercury
    Jurgens Fleetline
    Jurgens XT120 & Tentco RTT
    SOLD - Ford Ranger 3.2TDCi XLT 4x4
    SOLD - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8i
    SOLD - 4X4 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4
    SOLD - Honda NC700X

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monster View Post
    Yes, I was told by the fitment center at Lazarus Ford Centurion that it will put loads on the chassis where it wasn't designed for. The FOX suspension on the RAPTOR is a coil-over-shock design both in the front and back. Back ones are more beefy though.
    That makes sense.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Agree and it is a shame.

Still think you should obtain a few more opinions from reputable fitment centres. To me the obvious choice then would be to find a progressive replacement coil for the rear with a better load carrying ability. I had to opt for the correct weight rating when I upgraded the coil-overs in the front on the 200 Cruiser to carry more weight. Surely the same applies here?
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monster View Post
    ...So the intro question is; will a stabilizer such as a Tando (or similar) lift the vehicle when hitching a caravan?...
    Afaik a stabilizer doesn't change anything on the suspension so your predicament is purely suspension related. You'll have to get stiffer coils, airbags, or just live with it.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

What is the weight on the towball when you are done packing the caravan? Is it within the specs of the maximum downforce the towbar can handle? If so, I can't see why the rear will sag by much. Or do you also load a lot of stuff in the load bin?

I always weigh the nose of the caravan before hitching it up. By moving a couple of things in the caravan forwards or backwards it is very easy to obtain the maximum allowable downforce. Simple bathroom scale and a piece of wood under the towhook and you are sorted.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    What is the weight on the towball when you are done packing the caravan? Is it within the specs of the maximum downforce the towbar can handle? If so, I can't see why the rear will sag by much. Or do you also load a lot of stuff in the load bin?

I always weigh the nose of the caravan before hitching it up. By moving a couple of things in the caravan forwards or backwards it is very easy to obtain the maximum allowable downforce. Simple bathroom scale and a piece of wood under the towhook and you are sorted.

I would also check the load balance on the trailer/caravan. Also remember the Raptor has a 780kg payload / the UK spec is only 650kg, and if you have a drawer system and a canopy, that will take half of that away.

I would accept it if I were you, the sag is surely not that bad

I would definitely not fiddle with the spring rates.

May I suggest you chat to JP at Fury Ford in Midrand.

He is the person I would trust to give me the correct information.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daars nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Back to the original question....the Tando does not interfere with the sway control of the bakkie. Its like having both a seatbelt and air bag! My 3.2XLT is quite happy with its Tando....and yes the Tando tends to lift the back-end slightly which is also of some benefit

Hi Zak

I am looking at trading on my Wildtrak on a Raptor so I have done some homework on adding some additional support to the already amazing Fox suspension.

Tough Dog produces replacement coil springs for the Raptor in Australia. The springs are progressive and does not effect the ride from what I have read. The springs are rated for 150 - 300kg constant load, perhaps that is something for you too look at.

Here is the Tough Dog link as well as one of the articles regarding the spring replacement option.

https://toughdogdealer.com.au/collec...springs-raptor

https://www.club4x4.com.au/how-do-yo...ranger-raptor/

Hope this gives you some ideas
    Last edited by ChrisBlatherwick; 2020/11/03 at 02:40 PM.
    2021 Ford Ranger Raptor
    Rhino 4x4 Rocksliders
    Superior load cover
    Rhino 4x4 Sports bar

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisBlatherwick For This Useful Post:

Maybe I'm not really understanding things but why do you buy a vehicle whose major selling point is its suspension setup and then change the set up to something else

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Maybe I'm not really understanding things but why do you buy a vehicle whose major selling point is its suspension setup and then change the set up to something else
    Its for the bigger engine...

Oh wait.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daars nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

few points to consider

Please can you share

1) what is the trailers tongue weight ? - get that right to reduce the load on the rear of the bakkie

2) what is the height of the bakkie tow hitch versus the trailers tow hitch ? are they level or is the bakkie higher than the trailer, when the trailer draw bar is level to the road ?

to solve this problem or perceived problem you need data

my gut feel is if you get the basics right you wont have an issue as the bakkie stands with the fox coilovers

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:

GKE

Check at what speed your sway system operates. They don't publish it.

I remember the older Fortuner's the dealer told me it kicked out at 80km/h, I had a massive argument with the dealer and asked him what the point was with a towing speed limit of 100km/h and the sway system did not work.