New Defender - Problems straight out the box...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Defender - Problems straight out the box...

Have any of you guys/gals watched this yet?

Sjoe!
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Raider 4X4 M/T D/C

Default Re: New Defender - Problems straight out the box...

First edition always have problems

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingCT View Post
    Have any of you guys/gals watched this yet?

Sjoe!
    It's the third thread on the same video!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    It's the third thread on the same video!
    As daai LR 'n mens was, sou almal hom meneer genoem het.
    Cheers
    MANDREAS

"That what I know, I do not remember" - Yakhe Kwinana 2020

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    As daai LR 'n mens was, sou almal hom meneer genoem het.
    Of Willem
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Of Willem
    Ek het nog nooit 'n slegte Willem ontmoet nie - goeie mense daai
    Cheers
    MANDREAS

"That what I know, I do not remember" - Yakhe Kwinana 2020

I know this has probably been said since air conditioning was implemented in cars, but the computers in cars are really making some products s***. It would be such an amazing SUV if it weren't for all those gizmos... Who cares about all those cameras, depth sensors, 4wd modes etc.. And let's not mention air suspensions.. Waiting for the Disco owner that claims they are just as reliable as coil springs

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Who cares about all those cameras, depth sensors, 4wd modes etc..
    lots of people on this forum

Some even claim that you will surely die if your car doesn't have all that crap.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

And let's not mention air suspensions.. Waiting for the Disco owner that claims they are just as reliable as coil springs
    I owned a S3(leaf spring),RRC with coils,RRC with EAS,D3 with EAS and now FFRR with EAS.All vehicles were/are used for holidaying(camping),so are loaded.All bar FFRR had full roofracks.All were sold with well over 230+km's on their clocks.

S3 never cost money suspension wise.RRC with coils,had to replace them as they sagged over the years due to heavy loads.RRC with EAS replaced the pump and two airbags due to perishing(age).Never left me next to the road or on holidays like Kaokoland.D3 one pump.FFRR nothing on EAS(car 8 years old).

The EAS has normal,offroad and highway mode as standard.When I tow heavy offroad trailers in CKR with loaded trailer and roof rack,there is no sagging.....normal for EAS.Overloading is a risk with EAS.

How much do people spend on brand new coil suspensions to be able to do that?And then they have cars permanently in offroad mode for a once a year use on holiday?Safety?How many with AIR helpers?

Have you ever had a car with EAS?
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    I owned a S3(leaf spring),RRC with coils,RRC with EAS,D3 with EAS and now FFRR with EAS.All vehicles were/are used for holidaying(camping),so are loaded.All bar FFRR had full roofracks.All were sold with well over 230+km's on their clocks.

S3 never cost money suspension wise.RRC with coils,had to replace them as they sagged over the years due to heavy loads.RRC with EAS replaced the pump and two airbags due to perishing(age).Never left me next to the road or on holidays like Kaokoland.D3 one pump.FFRR nothing on EAS(car 8 years old).

The EAS has normal,offroad and highway mode as standard.When I tow heavy offroad trailers in CKR with loaded trailer and roof rack,there is no sagging.....normal for EAS.Overloading is a risk with EAS.

How much do people spend on brand new coil suspensions to be able to do that?And then they have cars permanently in offroad mode for a once a year use on holiday?Safety?How many with AIR helpers?

Give me a Cruiser 76 SW and with the change I will buy a PROPER off Road trailer/Caravan..Its got a Cigarette light I think but then its over kill if it has

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Peter agree but my post is about EAS which is not all doom and gloom!!

Even the Voetspore LC broke their aftermarket leafspring suspension.Had to use the std mopani branch solution to get to Ruacana to be fixed!
    On first Kaokoland trip a couple from Oranjemund hooked up with us from van Zyl's pass through to Sesfontein.They lost their complete rear suspension on their Hilux in the dust holes before Sesfontein.They stayed behind to have the leafs welded.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

I used poper offroad trailer,ex army with the same ex army hitch on my RRC!!My current offroad van is a BushLapa.Nothing wrong there either!!It gets punished!!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by DiscoFrans; 2020/10/29 at 08:45 PM.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Please don't take this the wrong way, but my point is: I know that LRs go into limp mode due to some EAS malfunctions. Your RRC with coils would not have gone into limp mode if you had a leaking shock after overheating on corrugations. Also (I understand if you don't want to share) how much did the RRC shocks cost vs the pumps and airbags? As for the advantages of EAS I am 100% convinced it offers a miriad of advantages - I am definitely not saying they are useless, I just don't find them trustworthy or cheap to replace?

Having got a d4 v8 with just over 100k a few years back, I was afraid of the gizmos, especially the EAS. Close to 200k now and everything still intact.

I used to think EAS is for softies, but its actually been reliable for us. And super helpful.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Ok.
    The RRC's used the same shocks,although different valving.The bellow was not much more expensive than a new OEM coil!The Thomas pump cost R1700 iirc.Was replaced at about 200k'kms before a Moz trip.Refurbished it and is to this day my tyre pump,and can do 14 bar,although slower than the new 2 piston jobbies.

The shocks and the bellows are not the same unit and can be replaced sperately.On bad corregations the bellows do a lot of work and to some extend protect the shocks from overheating.I had Billstein's on both my RRC's.
    My FFRR has Billstein as OEM.
    Last edited by DiscoFrans; 2020/10/29 at 09:16 PM.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

Please don't take this the wrong way, but my point is: I know that LRs go into limp mode due to some EAS malfunctions. Your RRC with coils would not have gone into limp mode if you had a leaking shock after overheating on corrugations. Also (I understand if you don't want to share) how much did the RRC shocks cost vs the pumps and airbags? As for the advantages of EAS I am 100% convinced it offers a miriad of advantages - I am definitely not saying they are useless, I just don't find them trustworthy or cheap to replace?
    Actually the EAS doesnít and canít cause limp mode. Limp mode is when engine power is limited.

It will cause the suspension to drop down to the bump stops. Which is so uncomfortable it will cause you to choose to either stop or limp home.

Strange how people single out LR for having air suspension. I think most vehicles in the same price as the Range Rovers and Defenders have air suspension.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Fluffy it is amazing the amount of trolling about Land Rovers normally by people who donít own them.

My D3 Diesel is on 285,000klm and being in hospital down here for a procedure I took it to Landy Guru in Slaapstad for a full check - absolutely brilliant service - control arms were shot and the rubber seal on the something joints were replaced.
    The Disco had a basic service in East London before we left, but the handling was not good!
    These guys checked the vehicle at 4pm - asked me to leave it with them and did the job the following day.
    I collected the vehicle at 5.30 pm due to the fact that they returned it to the wheel alignment company as they were not happy it was within specs.
    They also locked up the suspension on their computer to prevent the air suspension trying to compensate.

The crank issue IS a known problem, and a risk that needs to be factored in to a purchase, but I do think diesel motors are not managed well by many drivers.
    Particularly driving hard before the engine is at operating temperature, not letting the turbo cool down after a long trip, not servicing every 10,000kl and using the incorrect oil among other things.
    The car drives like new and is the most comfortable I have owned - I do have a Nissan Patrol as backup though.
    Just a comment - the level and quality of service at Vincent Pallotti Hospital has been extremely professional as this is where Iím messaging from - I feel like a Disco crank as Iíve just had my back done!
    I hope this doesnít put the kibosh on our trip home
    Rob Pollock

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onematch For This Useful Post:

Oh I forgot to add

My name is Rob
    I have been using 2SO

Never replaced an injector
    Rob Pollock

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Onematch For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Actually...

Strange how people single out LR for having air suspension. I think most vehicles in the same price as the Range Rovers and Defenders have air suspension.
    Including the Lexus LX570, which is technically just a LC200 VVVX. So Toyota also use them on similar vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Onematch View Post
    Oh I forgot to add

My name is Rob
    I have been using 2SO

Never replaced an injector
    Oh boy, here we go....you just had to through that in

Swift recovery from the back op!
    George Moustakis
    Disco 4 XS

31. The Following User Says Thank You to wildhunter For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast