Isolating the lights

Default Isolating the lights

Anyone got a diagram of the correct way to isolate the light circuit in the DB to run on solar and an inverter?
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

Default Re: Isolating the lights

I believe you have to have a separate DB board to do it legally. Also has to be done by qualified electrician to issue COC for the installation.

Can however be done different, but not legal. Rather get an electrician friend to help.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (for sale)

Here we have to call on the know how of Henk. I think the current status is that if fed from a different source than the grid loads must be in a different DB or a multirow DB painted in a different colour and a warning note to reflect more than I source of power.

This whole subject is a bit of a minefield at the moment with conflicting interpretations of the code and unscrupulous contractors.

It gets real messy, and quite frankly, tricky, when one starts dealing Earth Leakages, Neutral and Safety vs Electrical Earth Wiring problems.

Add PV panel earthing. lightning protection and DC grounding requirements and we have a recipe for an open cheque book.

Irrespective of local legal requirements, the best guidelines I know of are German TUV Standards published by Schneider. (Available on their Website)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

I have 1x DB, 2x neutral bars and 2x earth leakages for normal and essential loads (essential loads from inverter/batteries/solar).

My DB:

According to SANS, everything on my DB is labelled, but I don't have a visual power-on indicator. The electrician that re-built my DB and installed my inverter/battery/solar gave a CoC.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Daniel du Toit; 2020/10/28 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added SANS 10142

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel du Toit For This Useful Post: