Another Generator Noob Thread

Default Another Generator Noob Thread

Hi Guys,

So, i'm finally giving in and looking at getting a generator.
    We've had a spate of power outages over the past two months and I think its time to take the plunge.
    As with most people, I would just like to keep the lights on, the Tv, Decoder, Router and possibly the fridge or freezer.
    No need at all for the geyser, microwave, kettle or stove.....i've got gas.

Originally I was researching an Inverter type system with pylontech batteries etc, which I could then add panels
    etc to and expand at a later stage. But currently the finances just don't allow me to go that route.......just yet, even
    though I do think that ultimately that is the way to go.

Reading through some of the generator related posts on this sub forum, and also doing a bit of googling etc, it would
    seem that the all be it popular Ryobi generators are not the way to go ? It would also seem that bigger is not necessarily better?
    ...and that I could probably get away with a 5.5 kva instead of going for a 7.5/8kva.

I fear my budget is on the meager side at around R10 to R13.5K. And i've noticed that the bigger brands like Honda, Yamaha etc
    are way out of reach. However I came across the Husqvarna site and stumbled across these two options

https://www.husqvarna.com/za/product...00p/967665205/
    https://www.husqvarna.com/za/product...00p/967863502/

Has anyone got experience with Husqvarna Generators? Are they any good....or better than the Ryobi ?
    Alternatively, If anyone could advise on other brands I should take a look at or consider that would be fantastic.

Thanks a million for your time chaps, it is very much appreciated.

Default Re: Another Generator Noob Thread

At work we have some small 2.5kVa generators to place at telecom sites when there's prolonged outages. We used Honda, Powermaster and Husqvarna.

We decided to go back to the more expensive Honda generators as they last longer before you have to service, can mostly be repaired (to a point) and give a stable enough power output to power telecoms equipment.

Our guys often struggled with the Husvarna generators where the chargers would not accept the AC input and not charge the batteries (even with the generator running). Normally we could play with the idle speed adjustment to get the frequency as close to 50Hz as possible, but they are not stable all the time.

This could be a problem for running fridges and other sensitive home appliances.

You could add Fridge Protector plugs from Ellies or Clearline (at an additional cost), but may find your fridges to not power when using the generator.

If your home has LED lights everywhere, you should be able to run on about 3kVa. So 5.5kVa is more than enough for most people.

I'd rather get a 2-3kVa Inverter generator than a 5-8kVa "cheap" generator if I was in your shoes.

My 2c
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (for sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-D View Post
    At work we have some small 2.5kVa generators to place at telecom sites when there's prolonged outages. We used Honda, Powermaster and Husqvarna.

We decided to go back to the more expensive Honda generators as they last longer before you have to service, can mostly be repaired (to a point) and give a stable enough power output to power telecoms equipment.

Our guys often struggled with the Husvarna generators where the chargers would not accept the AC input and not charge the batteries (even with the generator running). Normally we could play with the idle speed adjustment to get the frequency as close to 50Hz as possible, but they are not stable all the time.

This could be a problem for running fridges and other sensitive home appliances.

You could add Fridge Protector plugs from Ellies or Clearline (at an additional cost), but may find your fridges to not power when using the generator.

If your home has LED lights everywhere, you should be able to run on about 3kVa. So 5.5kVa is more than enough for most people.

I'd rather get a 2-3kVa Inverter generator than a 5-8kVa "cheap" generator if I was in your shoes.

My 2c
    Thanks Monkey D, appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    The house is about 60% there with regards to LED lights, and to be fair the rooms where we will be congregating
    are sorted with LED lights. At the end of the day we're only really going to need light in the TV room, and a few minutes
    of light if you pop into the kitchen for something or use the bathroom.

Any suggestions with regards to the 2-3kVa Inverter Generators ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paraman View Post
    Thanks Monkey D, appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    The house is about 60% there with regards to LED lights, and to be fair the rooms where we will be congregating
    are sorted with LED lights. At the end of the day we're only really going to need light in the TV room, and a few minutes
    of light if you pop into the kitchen for something or use the bathroom.

Any suggestions with regards to the 2-3kVa Inverter Generators ?

hi:

yamaha honda and briggs and stratton make small inverter generators .. a 3 kva will set you back over 30k however... but they are built to last...

I bought a Atlas Copco one which looks like a knockoff Yamaha for 16k two years ago... never missed a beat.. see photo

https://www.livingstones.co.za/produ...ter-generator/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wouter

Me:2018 Toy Fortuner 2.8 auto 4x4
    Swambo: 2017 Audi Q3 aka cutie
    Echo 2 in tow

It all depends on the intended frequency of use. If really just every now and then, a small (Chinese made MacAfric) machine from Adendorff is fine. I do however have to agree about the Honda machines. They last and last. The key to not needing a large machine is to really run just the critical loads, which in my mind are fridges and freezers.

The inverter Honda machines are really much quieter than anything else. Very pricey these days though - look at a used machine? For the price of a 3kVA Honda inverter gen you could probably get a small solar system that would keep the fridges running, bit not much else. Batteries are expensive. Otherwise consider a cheaper Honda open-frame non-inverter AVR machine, but they are noisy.
    ZS6VL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

If these power failures are less than 4hours I would also look at enough battery storage and a 330W panel for during the day's power failure. No need to go and start and switch off genny.

I read good comments about Adendorf generators on another thread.

This one is within your budget and if you have a long outage could get a geyser warm as well.

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...rol-generator/
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" : Bertrand Russell

2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4