Hilux vs Cruiser

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Hilux vs Cruiser

I am tinkering with the idea of on of these two.

If I went with a cruiser it would be a petrol v6 DC and if I went Hilux it would be one of the 2.8GD6 auto variants.

I was just looking here
    https://www.toyota.co.za/specs-compa...r-79?model=62U
    And the GCM caught my eye as being suspiciously low and then the towing capacity braked confirmed it! 1500Kgs for a 79 Cruiser!

I would probably not use either too much as it would be a boat tow vehicle, but looking at it, the cruiser rules itself out before it even gets out the starting blocks! Is this for real? I see the v8 gets a decent tow rating, but the 4.0l petrol and 4.2 diesel can barely pull a lightly loaded caravan.

The GD6 gets a 3500kgs tow rating despite being a much lighter duty vehicle all around in terms fo chassis, gearbox, suspension etc.

Something seems rotten there?

Default Re: Hilux vs Cruiser

In the past someone at Toyota had a brain fart when it came to the tow ratings, it was the same with the previous gen Hilux, Fortuner and Prado, they fixed all of those now with the new generations, but it seams they didn't fix the V6 and 4.2 Cruiser yet.

There's no technical reason or explanation for this, it simply is what it is and only in SA, in other countries the tow ratings differ.

You can try talk to your friendly local Toy dealer about this, but I doubt you'll get any joy, they can't really do anything about it, or not easily anyway, however there's no harm in trying.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/10/26 at 04:37 PM.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    In the past someone at Toyota had a brain fart when it came to the tow ratings, it was the same with the previous gen Hilux, Fortuner and Prado, they fixed all of those now with the new generations, but it seams they didn't fix the V6 and 4.2 Cruiser yet.

There's no technical reason or explanation for this, it simply is what it is and only in SA, in other countries the tow ratings differ.

You can try talk to your friendly local Toy dealer about this, but I doubt you'll get any joy.
    Well it does reduce the confusion as it eliminates the cruiser from consideration. Pity as it has a nice stout tare mass, which helps and I think it is pretty beefy all around.

I think the hilux is much easier to live with on a day to day basis anyway, given its smaller size, light thirst and generally better road manners, but that cruiser does look the part.

I would love to know how the tow ratings are determined.

The V8 and V6 cruisers weigh almost the same, so that doesn't matter.
    The V6 has more power, so that doesn't matter.
    They have the same chassis, so that doesn't matter.
    Same tyre size, so that doesn't matter.

Same suspension, same axles, and yet the one has a 234% higher tow rating.

I suspect bureaucracy is at fault here...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    I would love to know how the tow ratings are determined.

The V8 and V6 cruisers weigh almost the same, so that doesn't matter.
    The V6 has more power, so that doesn't matter.
    They have the same chassis, so that doesn't matter.
    Same tyre size, so that doesn't matter.

Same suspension, same axles, and yet the one has a 234% higher tow rating.

I suspect bureaucracy is at fault here...
    Once you can find out how that is done, please let us all in on tge secret.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

The V6 Hilux also has a lower tow capacity compared to the 2.8. I wonder if it isn't connected to the CO2 tax in SA. Perhaps the way vehicles are rated in SA takes into consideration emissions at full load (ie. Towing). Not sure about this, but the V8 is euro 4 vs the 4.0 being Euro 2. To end my conspiracy theory, if the CO2 tax was considerably high on the V6 it would get closer to bridging the gap with the V8 in terms of pricing. Toyota wants to maintain the V6 as the workhorse value proposition, taxes would hinder that. Lower the tow rating, test emissions in those conditions and voila! And why all of this? Because Aliens.

From my limited reading on the forum, you need to buy a Patrol rather.

Or a Fortuner or Amarok. I can never remember which
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    From my limited reading on the forum, you need to buy a Patrol rather.

Or a Fortuner or Amarok. I can never remember which
    Well it cant be amarok as I am sort of thinking about getting rid of that as it is on 300k km, although I am really battling to justify the idea in my mind as it is going like a turbine, but it does battle on the hills being the 90kw Donkey. On the beach the amarok is awesome with proper low 1st and reverse and with the winch etc it makes short work of the boat.

I have brought my wife a fortuner this year so a second one would not make sense. Patrol means dealing with Nissan - so ruled out on that basis.

I am starting to think i will do my trip to Sodwana this December and at least won't have to put a new vehicle anywhere near the sea, and then I can look at this seriously in the new year.

Stephen, I mean this in a nice way.

If you have to think weather you need a Cruiser or a Hilux then you need a Hilux.

Don't waist time and energy thinking about it, a Hilux will be just fine and you will enjoy it.

Cruisers are not bought because they are light on fuel, fast on the tar, cheap to run, comfortable to drive, luxury cars..... I can name a good few more.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post

Cruisers are not bought because they are light on fuel, fast on the tar, cheap to run, comfortable to drive, luxury cars..... I can name a good few more.

I thought most Cruisers were bought as male ego enhancers?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Stephen, I mean this in a nice way.

If you have to think weather you need a Cruiser or a Hilux then you need a Hilux.

Don't waist time and energy thinking about it, a Hilux will be just fine and you will enjoy it.

Thats true but as an occasional use vehicle it is a beast and gives you that same feeling of imperiousness that one gets from a defender, without breaking down as often. i was not really thinking about it until I saw the price of the 79 4.0l which really makes it compelling value, and as an occasional use vehicle, the fuel consumption would not be that much of an issue. But that tow rating!

PS I lived with a ser 3 R6 landrover as my primary vehicle not that long ago with doors flapping in the breeze and speed governed by engine noise. I would sometimes even use ear muffs when driving from Witbank back to durban, so I am definitly not above making stupid vehicle decisions in the interests of the cool factor, but I hope I am getting more sensible as I age.
    Last edited by stephenplumb; 2020/10/27 at 09:13 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

This is soooo true!!!

They are uncomfortable, heavy on fuel, turning circle of a boat, and lack the niceties you get in DC's nowadays. But......

When you hit those corrugations that are 1m deep, or you want to climb that hill just because....then only do they start to make sense.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

When you do a rough trip into Africa with a Cruiser, you service it once back. Other vehicles you rebuild.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Not really a comparison between the two, but it depends on your usage. If its a daily drive with one or two trips a year on a relative good terrain the hilux is more than adequate.

I would not use a hilux on the farm anymore for example, not made for that anymore, not that it will not go where the cruiser goes, but what concerned me is what got damaged and what fell off.

Apart from the ego issue , a cruiser will outlive the hilux and with the price difference I would rather buy a cruiser, but not if I have to drive it for long distances every day.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/10/27 at 01:01 PM.
    Johan Kriel

I presume you are looking at buying new, why not rather consider a second hand or demo V8 Cruiser over a new V6? Then the tow rating is also sorted.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

We have Cruisers and a 2.8 GD6 Hilux in the family.

I love the 2.8 engine it average around 12km/l at 120 and have loads of torque. Impressed by the way it performs in 6th gear which sees you at very low rpm's.

My son have done several 4x4 trips with the Hilux. Very good in sand. Have done some other more serious trips like Berakah. Unfortunately the stock body and trimmings is easy to damage without protection like sliders and bumpers.

Now for the Cruisers. Love my V6 to bits.
    I know the 1.6t tow limit can have you on the wrong side of the law. As pointed out in other posts it is accedamic calculation and have nothing to do with capability.
    Cruisers are build for one thing and that is extensive to extreme off road work.

Have done more than a 100k km combined between the two. I travel rutted, gutted and the worst corrigated roads you can think of. Not a single rattle nor something that fell off.
    Cruisers gave you that indestructable feeling when you drive it. O ja and those double lockers

You will either love or hate a Cruiser not everyone's cup of tea.
    Last edited by grips; 2020/10/27 at 11:16 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

The Cruiser is not as uncomfortable as everyone thinks on long trips unless you're 2m tall. The V6 is quite nice to drive especially on long trips compared to a standard V8, the engine has so much go on the highway. It's maybe not as comfortable as the Hilux especially for the rear passengers but the the extra feeling you get when driving a Cruiser makes it better than anything.

If I lived in a city and needed a daily runaround I would still use a Cruiser because it's a Cruiser.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

Everyone deserves to have owned a Bruiser once in their lives, if only to realize you don't really need one.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Makaira For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    Everyone deserves to have owned a Bruiser once in their lives, if only to realize you don't really need one.
    If only more of that happened then I could get a well price used V8 DC but that doesn't really exist at the moment.

My Cruiser is currently in for a service and I'm driving a Hilux around and I miss my Cruiser so much.
    Last edited by GarethHAllen; 2020/10/27 at 12:29 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

I agree with Grips. I also had a 79 V8 and now a 2.8 GD-6 Hilux. These are meant for different applications and cannot be compared head tot head.

The Hilux is a lot more comfy and frugal doing long distance touring or commuting, it is very capable offroad, but will not last the distance of the Cruiser if worked hard.

I used the 79 as a daily and now the Hilux. If I had both and had to chose which key to grab in the morning it'll not be an easy decision . Man that sound of the V8 starting up and when you give it carrots is just phenomenal. This is with the 76mm De Graaf freeflow.

The Cruiser makes you feel so much more macho, it feels indestructible and once you point the nose to that far-away bush destination you know you have a beast of a vehicle which will almost never let you down.

Do I miss that V8, yes for sure
    Dirk Theron
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast