KZN trip campsite reviews October 2020

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Red face KZN trip campsite reviews October 2020

We're on our way from Cape Town to KZN and I thought I'll give a bit of feedback about accommodation we stay during our trip.

After hopping from Sanparks park to Sanparks park we finally entered the real world of "pandemic" camping and caravaning. (All Sanparks campsites were great and people were thoroughly following the rules) 🤗

I had pre-booked at Yellow Sands Resort near East London (EC, I know).

When I booked, there were still 50 campsites available. I had read great reviews on Google and here in the community. But they were all written some time ago and PreCovid.

While we drove towards the resort today, I was shortly doubting my choice. I already saw us being the only campers in a big empty resort, 10 km out of town.

Well, I was completely wrong. What a great place. Well organised, from online payment to sending of access codes in advance, from maintenance to cleanliness, this place is a gem.

About 85% of the campsites are occupied, some spots are closed for maintenance, means planting of new grass.

Ablutions are absolutely spotless, the cleaners walk through often, and people clean well behind them. Hubby said, he's never seen a man mopping up his shower before. I have never seen such clean ablutions in such a massive resort..

We ladies know the mopping up from Kgalagadi, Karoo, Addo restcamps but there's usually just a dirty mop standing around. Now there's a handsfree to use state of the art mop and bucket at men's and at ladies ablutions.

Desinfection spray is provided and instructions how and where to use (toilet seat!)

We did grab the last available spot at the sea front. There's no rubbish laying around, dogs are on leaches yes, dogs are allowed ♥️

I would give this resort 12 points out of 10. I forgot to mention, it's owned privately 🌟⭐🌠

The rates are great. Pensioners can camp there for R 1750 per month and campsite ( max 2 people). We paid R 120 pensioners rate for tonight.

Yes, there are high and low season rates, but in this case, I feel, they deserve the high season rates.

https://www.yellows.co.za/

https://facebook.com/yellowsands

[email protected]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201025_203433.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	593388

Name:	Screenshot_20201025_203601.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	593389
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201025_171819.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	412.0 KB 
ID:	593390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20201025-WA0020.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	593391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201025_174307.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	593392  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Default Re: KZN trip campsite reviews October 2020

Tonight we stay at Mbotyi River Lodge. Weather is aweful so pics don't show the real beauty of this place.
    The Lodge is placed above the Mbotyi river.
    Once you leave Lusikisiki (which is, despite the cute name, a shithole), you feel you're in a different world. A long alley under ages old trees leads you through a tea estate. Km after km you drive through plantations. Despite the rain, people are plucking tea. They wave to us very friendly. Once you come near the ocean, you ride through ancient primeval forest. It reminds me at the Stormsriver Mouth Valley.
    Locals are very friendly. The security guy announces at the gate announces us and we're allowed to proceed to reception. There, the covid protocol is followed thoroughly. The campsite doesn't border the seafront, but is just over the road. Both locations are fenced with electric fences.
    I later learnt, that the campsite is run by the community, the lodge manages the bookings for them at no cost. You'll find basic amenities and to be honest, the buildings need a bit of TLC. But there's hot water and electricity at the braai stands and security day and night. What else do we need?
    Seing it's going on to rain, we book the 4 course meal. It was a nice solid meal worth the R 180, homebaked bread, wonderful desert, nothing fancy. Staff is well trained ♥️
    The location is phantastic. Deserves 10 points. Well worth the extra km driving.
    The lodge (didn't see the chalets but they look very clean and neat, some other guests confirmed that) I would say 8 points. The campsite at this stage 6 points. We paid R 240 for the campsite.
    If you can, book a chalet with river/sea view ������☀️��

https://mbotyi.co.za/
    [email protected]
    https://facebook.com/MbotyiRiverLodge/

Name:	IMG_20201026_135048.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	593573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_135824.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	593574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_174827.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	395.7 KB 
ID:	593575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_175836.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	593576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_180242.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	593577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_194127.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	593578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_193914.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	593579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201026_203732.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	593580  

Name:	IMG_20201026_141204.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	511.3 KB 
ID:	593600  
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2020/10/27 at 09:19 AM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Loving this thread..reminds me of Finn McCool and his missus Lisa's travels through our country.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Subscribed

Thanks Ma'am for these informative and positive reports. The Eastern Cape certainly can do with some positive tourism press. Apologies for the weather but promise will improve from today.

I have always loved the Mbotyi area, specifically the really impressive approach through the coastal forest. I am pleased to have confirmation that the community continue to manage the campsite acceptably.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Thanks Ma'am for these informative and positive reports. The Eastern Cape certainly can do with some positive tourism press. Apologies for the weather but promise will improve from today.

I have always loved the Mbotyi area, specifically the really impressive approach through the coastal forest. I am pleased to have confirmation that the community continue to manage the campsite acceptably.
    Thank you Stan, highly appreciated 💖

Yesterday we entered KwaZulu Natal, it was immediately visible that the villages across the provincial border have a better live than in the Eastern Cape.
    Lots of building activities, and it looks cleaner. ANC posters in every village.
    We turn inlands, we head towards Ithala Game Reserve.
    We stayed overnight at the Ovaflo Resort, about 20km from Pietermaritzburg. It's situated +- halfway between Mbotyi and the Ithala GR, where we'll stay for some days.
    Not a lot to say about Ovaflo, the Resort has seen better days. Basic amenities, water is pumped from the river. Showers are hot and ablutions are cleaned.
    Locals are angling, the river has crocodiles.
    The owner is friendly, our details are taken.
    She runs a tuck shop which seems to be accepted by the villagers. Some canoe are paddled along.
    Nature around is great, but it's HOT! 30° at 5 pm.
    We paid R210.

https://facebook.com/Ovaflo-Resort-124480657575950/

http://ovafloresort.yolasite.com/

https://www.facebook.com/10000048020...24916/?app=fbl

Name:	IMG_20201028_065006.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	635.1 KB 
ID:	593761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201028_065028.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	665.9 KB 
ID:	593762  

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Seing it's going on to rain, we book the 4 course meal. It was a nice solid meal worth the R 180, homebaked bread, wonderful desert, nothing fancy. Staff is well trained ♥️
    I love these types of menus, reminds me a skule dinners and 1970s Drakensberg resorts and Durban hotel Dinner, Bed & Breakfast.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Remember to say Hi to Riekert (Leeubok on the forum) - He is the resident environmentalist in the reserve.
    And don't forget the Bivane 4x4 trail there.
    Beautiful place - very scenic.
    Watch out for the rouge eli that sometimes comes into the rustic campsite as well as the regular leopard.
    Rickert will inform you.
    One of our favorite places if we could just get there more frequently.
    Sounds as though you're having a great trip.
    The Wild Coast is just wonderful - we have done it entire length both ways on separate occasions.
    Thanks for the pics - they bring back good memories.
    At Mboyti we stayed in the community campsite and at that time it was all good, a few years ago though and things may have changed.
    Our friends even had a sea view (technically), OK a sliver of the sea was visible, but such a short walk to the beach that it was no problem at all at that time.

Afterthought - not sure of your planned itinerary if any, but maybe consider joining the KZN Mini GTG at Mtunzini (See KZN section) ?
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2020/10/28 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Afterthought
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2