Namakwa Eco trail with 19" 255/55R19 tyres... can it be done?

Default Namakwa Eco trail with 19" 255/55R19 tyres... can it be done?

Hi all

There is a group of us planing on doing the Namakwa Eco Trail sometime next year... I want to prepare as best as I can for this trip...

My Discovery 3 V8 came with the 19" Wheels which are not great for proper 4x4 trails... (I have done a few trails with the 19" wheels and touch wood haven't had any issues even with tyre pressures deflated to 1.4 bar in sand and over rocks)

Driving with low tyre pressures like this isn't ideal when going over rocks with a (55) side wall... ideally i'd be looking at a 60 or 65 side wall tyre...

Has anybody done this trail using these tyres...Goodyear Wrangler 255/55R19

I have 3x GOOD spare tyres that I could take along mounted on 19" rims.... or should I look at getting a 2nd hand set of 18" rims with a 265/60R18 tyre... I unfortunately can't get 17" rims due to the size of the brake callipers on the V8

I can get a set of original LR 19" wheels for a great price... was thinking of taking along 2 x spare 19" rims for just incase.

Any advise would be welcome!

Default Re: Namakwa Eco trail with 19" 255/55R19 tyres... can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
    Hi all

There is a group of us planing on doing the Namakwa Eco Trail sometime next year... I want to prepare as best as I can for this trip...

My Discovery 3 V8 came with the 19" Wheels which are not great for proper 4x4 trails... (I have done a few trails with the 19" wheels and touch wood haven't had any issues even with tyre pressures deflated to 1.4 bar in sand and over rocks)

Driving with low tyre pressures like this isn't ideal when going over rocks with a (55) side wall... ideally i'd be looking at a 60 or 65 side wall tyre...

Has anybody done this trail using these tyres...Goodyear Wrangler 255/55R19

I have 3x GOOD spare tyres that I could take along mounted on 19" rims.... or should I look at getting a 2nd hand set of 18" rims with a 265/60R18 tyre... I unfortunately can't get 17" rims due to the size of the brake callipers on the V8

I can get a set of original LR 19" wheels for a great price... was thinking of taking along 2 x spare 19" rims for just incase.

Any advise would be welcome!
    We destroyed 3. Goodyear wrangler duratrac. Very bad luck though - two sidewalls on the same rock - just positioned perfectly - and one thorn puncture in the sidewall. All in one day. Aside from that it was good!!! Suggest bringing two spares and a repair kit and you’ll be just fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

We did the first half about a month ago with a Fortuner with the standard Dunlop AT25 265 60 R18s with no issues. We did not have a trailer so we weren't really tested technically the toughest part of the trail imho was Charlie's Pass and the trip through the canyon to Kamgab. The sand was not an issue for the 4.0 liter and we kept the pressures at 1.8 throughout which may have been a factor in terms of protecting the tyres . I can't comment on the second half.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    We did the first half about a month ago with a Fortuner with the standard Dunlop AT25 265 60 R18s with no issues. We did not have a trailer so we weren't really tested technically the toughest part of the trail imho was Charlie's Pass and the trip through the canyon to Kamgab. The sand was not an issue for the 4.0 liter and we kept the pressures at 1.8 throughout which may have been a factor in terms of protecting the tyres . I can't comment on the second half.
    I agree with this. IMO, decent ground clearance is the most important. I can also only comment on the first half but I can't think of any part of the trail where it was necessary to drop tyre pressure to the degree that you're risking side wall damage. Kamgab approach is slow going because of obstacles you need to drive over, but they're not the kind of obstacle that will rip your tyres.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shfish For This Useful Post: