Garmin Montana 700i feedback

Default Garmin Montana 700i feedback

So I bought myself (from myself ) a Montana 700i a few days ago.

Have been playing with it over the last two days and setting it up.

Wanted to start a thread giving some feedback.

First off it has a great screen and the touch screen functionality is really cool. I have only ever had button gps units (besides some old Nuvis etc). I think we so used to touch screen it makes life so much easier. For example typing in an address is simple compared to my 276cx I had.

I signed up for the basic in reach package and tested it with my brother in Lesotho. It sent him a sms and an email and he managed to reply to the unit very easily. Tested the in reach weather and that also works as advertised.

The unit comes with SA topo maps and to my surprise city navigator as well. Plugging it into garmin connect these maps were updated immediately. I loaded T4A and with those 3 I should be good to go in any terrain.

The device also comes with Birds eye view direct, but I haven't tried that yet.

My family are also into Geocaching and so I activated the device with Geocaching.com and it supports live geocaching. This is a really cool feature as it means no more manual logging finds or having to use my cellphone and the app to log finds.

Today I tested it as a vehicle navigator (see pic) using the optional vehicle mount. This mount is extremely solid and a good RAM copy. It performed well in this role. I hardly ever use a Garmin for city navigating as Google maps or Waze are probably better in town. However for travelling and use in the 4x4 on trips this thing will be awesome running T4A or topo maps.

Had a slight issue syncing to my phone that turns out to be my fault. When I setup the device I used my work email address and made an account on that, forgetting I already had an account on my personal email for my watch etc. This resulted in some problems syncing. So if you do setup a new garmin be aware of this and try use only 1 account.

That's about it for now. More to follow on this thread. The device is really impressive and built like a tank.

Cheers for now.
    www.ecologicallogistics.co.za
    Facebook: @EcologicalLogistics

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukestrugnell For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Garmin Montana 700i feedback

Keep us posted on the use of the unit.

@lukestrugnell looks like a nice unit. How are you finding battery life? The inReach mini lasts for ages but then you have your phone to keep charging and not the flexibility on base maps / T4A etc, all in one integrated unit. Keep us posted.

Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
    Goodies and space for more goodies

Quote Originally Posted by warrenaken View Post
    @lukestrugnell looks like a nice unit. How are you finding battery life? The inReach mini lasts for ages but then you have your phone to keep charging and not the flexibility on base maps / T4A etc, all in one integrated unit. Keep us posted.
    Planning a battery life test. Will update. I see an optional accessory is a battery pack that takes 3x aa batteries. Will prob get that as a backup.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lukestrugnell For This Useful Post:

Morning all

So this last weekend we went camping to Doorndraai dam and I used the Montana to navigate there and back to test. I used it with SAtopo active maps and it was very smooth routing me there and back.

The vehicle mount is extremely solid and the unit, despite its bulk, didnt move an inch.

I also tested the preset messages and they work very well and are unlimited on the basic plan. I have setup 3x presets, 1 to say all in order, 2 to say this is my camp and am taking a break here and the third to request NON life threatening help to my emergency contacts. This would be for a vehicle breakdown, etc etc. These presets can be edited to say whatever you want in the Explore app/website. As mentioned before you can send text messages to a phone and emails but you only seem to be able to reply if you get the email. I must investigate this a bit more.

The unit was used in the vehicle cradle the entire time so I dont have a report back on battery life as yet, sorry.

I have also taken some time to setup the various use profiles on the unit. I have setup driving, 4x4, boat, geocaching, hiking. For each of these you can customise the screen and also what maps are active for each profile. So for driving Im using topoactive and for 4x4 Tracks for Africa. This is very nice to be able to switch quickly between the different profiles.

I also used the active weather this weekend to see a weather report and this was great provided you have signal on your phone. If you dont you can use the inReach weather report.

Impressed so far, more to come as I test it further. I mut say having the peace of mind of comms off the beaten track is really lekker.

cheers for now
    Luke

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lukestrugnell For This Useful Post:

What does something like this cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Mypro-D View Post
    Around 15K....
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2.5dCI 4x4
    2013 Nissan Xtrail 2.0dCi XE 2x4

I could do it for around R13 569 inc vat.

Garmins RRP is R15 999inc vat

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lukestrugnell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lukestrugnell View Post
    I could do it for around R13 569 inc vat.

Garmins RRP is R15 999inc vat
    Ok Great, thank you.
    I will let you know. I like that it has InReach capabilities.
    Was looking at buying an InReach but this looks like it can do the overlanders job and the InReach.
    2 for 1, I like it!

Ok Great, thank you.
    I will let you know. I like that it has InReach capabilities.
    Was looking at buying an InReach but this looks like it can do the overlanders job and the InReach.
    2 for 1, I like it!
    Yea me too, nice to have all integrated in one unit.

Do You know what is the difference between the 700 and the 700i??

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
    Do You know what is the difference between the 700 and the 700i??
    Yes....the i denotes inReach technology, so the ability to use it to send and receive messages over the Iridium network.

Just back from a few days in Pilansberg on a work trip. I was lucky enough to stay in the wilderness area. The downside was no cell signal where I was.

The Montana paid for itself this trip by being my comms with home. The inReach was great and I was able to check in with home as well as check how they were doing.

I also used the device for navigating and with tracks 4 africa this was simple.

The device is so customizable I spent some time setting up various options. One feature I really liked was the magnetic compass. This was overlaid on the screen and makes describing directions of animals or humans easy.

On the inReach side my wife took a moment to figure out how to reply as you need to click on the link in the email you get and reply from there. If you simply reply to the email or sms it wont work.

Battery life was about 3.5 hours from 100% to 50% of constant use including lots of inReach messages. Managed to recharge with my mini solar panel as well as with a battery bank.

Very impressed and super happy I got this unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montana 700i_2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	301.5 KB 
ID:	597680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montana 700i_3.jpg 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	597681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Montana 700i_4.jpg 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	597682