Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: St Lucia Mouth

Default Re: St Lucia Mouth

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Thank you for the reply, and I get very clearly what you are saying, and agree.

But, at danger of becoming like a stuck record, the one answer I am looking for remains elusive (from anybody).

For example yourself, Gustav, we have established the reasons why (and not much debate around it I think), but this is where we are at now, so what would be the best (realistic) outcome in your view? Or have we crossed the point of no-return and St Lucia is doomed to remain a shadow of its former self, always in some crisis? (This is what I am thinking).
    Well, there is almost no way the original silt trap system can be restored, nor the huge influx of humans in that area be removed.
    One way is to wait another few thousand years for the system to get into some form of equilibrium naturally, or start dredging again.
    One needs to get ocean water into the system, to kill off the reeds, let the silt then wash out to a point where it can be dredged, so that fish and other creatures that require the ebb and flow of the seasons can establish themselves again.
    As was there pre-sugarcane farming.......
    So yes, with a little bit of help, the system can be maintained, almost like it was a hundred years ago.
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    Well, there is almost no way the original silt trap system can be restored, nor the huge influx of humans in that area be removed.
    One way is to wait another few thousand years for the system to get into some form of equilibrium naturally, or start dredging again.
    One needs to get ocean water into the system, to kill off the reeds, let the silt then wash out to a point where it can be dredged, so that fish and other creatures that require the ebb and flow of the seasons can establish themselves again.
    As was there pre-sugarcane farming.......
    So yes, with a little bit of help, the system can be maintained, almost like it was a hundred years ago.
    Agreed. Start dredging again. It worked before. Some might not agree. Nature has been overtaken by human interference mentioned in posts above, and can't cope. Human intervention is needed to help.
    Mike Lauterbach

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

its a estuary system the mouth has to be open it is the biggest breading ground for a multitude of marine animals, for the last few years its been
    a pond full of barbel.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    its a estuary system the mouth has to be open it is the biggest breading ground for a multitude of marine animals, for the last few years its been
    a pond full of barbel.
    I think the question is now that is open should the mud banks be dredged or left to naturally make channels.
    The problem is that most of the mud banks are not natural but man-made.

Personally I would like to see it left as is and allow nature now to take its course.

The amount of channels that has already formed in the last month is awesome.

Then the salt water will manage the reeds by itself.

Watch it and give a nature a push now and again if there is no other option.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    I think the question is now that is open should the mud banks be dredged or left to naturally make channels.
    The problem is that most of the mud banks are not natural but man-made.

Personally I would like to see it left as is and allow nature now to take its course.

The amount of channels that has already formed in the last month is awesome.

Then the salt water will manage the reeds by itself.

Watch it and give a nature a push now and again if there is no other option.
    With good rainfalls, like this year, there is a good chance leaving it to nature. But not if we have rainfall like in the last decade.

Someone mentioned the population growth in the catchment area. Considering the trend of preferring yards without lawns, preferring bare swept soils, there is much more soil being washed down, so silt will be a continuing problem.

I can't see dredging not being part of the solution
    Mike Lauterbach

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    I dont have all the facts re the mouth and the and the Mfolosi river but did spend a lot of holidays in the 80's at sugarloaf.

This I think might be a fairly good article

https://dailyfriend.co.za/2020/10/23...ards-solution/

but is a bit short on facts and figures for me and that raises by BS meter a bit

Comments from you lot with history in the area would be welcome please

A tragic comedy of errors over more than 100 years. The solution is not easy nor known, however, there appears to be (at long last) some semblance of a plan of action backed by proper investigations. Here's hoping!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Langjan For This Useful Post:

Anybody been fishing there recently? We are considering a quick getaway to the North coast in the next month or two and I am investigating possibilities. With the St Lucia mouth reopened I wondered about going there.

I also looked at Tugela mouth but it looks like poachers with gill nets destroyed the fish stock?

I don't know the North coast very well, only been to Ballito, Maphelane and Cape Vidal. These visits were many years ago. Almost got eaten by a croc at Maphelane but lived to tell the tale.

Ideally we would like to snorkel, fish and perhaps even swim in the sea. I know that swimming may or may not be the greatest idea in that area but I survived at Cape Vidal so chances may or may not be taken.

Going to Ponta again seems out of the question during the pandemic.
    I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked.

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Anybody been fishing there recently? We are considering a quick getaway to the North coast in the next month or two and I am investigating possibilities. With the St Lucia mouth reopened I wondered about going there.

I also looked at Tugela mouth but it looks like poachers with gill nets destroyed the fish stock?

I don't know the North coast very well, only been to Ballito, Maphelane and Cape Vidal. These visits were many years ago. Almost got eaten by a croc at Maphelane but lived to tell the tale.

Ideally we would like to snorkel, fish and perhaps even swim in the sea. I know that swimming may or may not be the greatest idea in that area but I survived at Cape Vidal so chances may or may not be taken.

Go for it!!! Julle sal nie spyt wees nie!! Dit blyk of vangste goed optel as ek al die nuus kan glo wat daar buite is.

As julle in die see wil swem en snorkel vat die pad Vidal toe. Gaan vroeg oggend deur en spandeer die groot deel van die dag op die strand daar vir snorkel en swem bedrywighede. Oppad terug St Lucia toe kan julle so paar draaie ry in die park. Die wild is volop en dis regtig die moeite werd.
    HENK

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Ons gaan met n X3 ry, is die paaie ok genoeg dat ons dit sal maak?

Die pad tussen St Lucia en Vidal is deesdae 'n baie mooi teerpad vol koedoes en rooibokke en renosters en vlakvarke en ander wild..... geen slaggate nie.

Die paaie binne die reservaat wat nog grondpaaie is, kan maklik met 'n platkar gery word sonder enige probleme.
    HENK

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Jy sal 95% van die paaie in Maputoland & KZN Noordkus met gemak in n X3 platdraf.

Charter uit Richardsbaai, strandhengel te Cape Vidal en Kosimond is waarskynlik jou beste hengelplekke as jy nie n boot het nie.

Tugela mond in my opinie nie 100% veilig.

Swem maar waar daar haainette is. Alle varswater noord van Durban het deesdae plathonde in.
    Jaco Nell

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Jy sal 95% van die paaie in Maputoland & KZN Noordkus met gemak in n X3 platdraf.

Charter uit Richardsbaai, strandhengel te Cape Vidal en Kosimond is waarskynlik jou beste hengelplekke as jy nie n boot het nie.

Tugela mond in my opinie nie 100% veilig.

Swem maar waar daar haainette is. Alle varswater noord van Durban het deesdae plathonde in.
    As jou X3 met laeprofielbande toegerus is, moenie eers probeer om by Kosimonding te kom nie. Sover ek weet is toegang in elk geval beperk tot kampers by Kosimere met 'n streng beperking op die aantal voertuie per dag.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Langjan For This Useful Post:

Cape vidal is perfek vir swem, snorkel (laag water) en visvang. Hou die tidal charts dop.

Wind kan bietjie sterk wees, maar dit is seker oral op die strand so.

Doen die moeite om na die oop mond toe te stap.

Gaan eet by reef and dune. Jy sal nie spyt wees nie.

Was laas naweek daar en het 3 wonderlike dae gehad.
    Alfa 159 - die dors ene, met 6 silinders
    Fiat 500c - SWAMBO se pink'e met 'n swart pruik, en make-up
    VW T5 4Motion - cause there ain't no Italian 4x4 kombies

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAPster For This Useful Post:

Snorkelling and swimming at Mapelane this time of the year with rivers in flood is a no-no. Best bet is Vidal and Sodwana.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Langjan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Langjan View Post
    Snorkelling and swimming at Mapelane this time of the year with rivers in flood is a no-no. Best bet is Vidal and Sodwana.
    I have caught many Zambezi sharks beteen 30-55kg less than 50m from the shore at Mapelane. You must absolutely nuts to swim there - I do not even wade in when casting those waters...especially when its murky
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/03/06 at 02:41 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 857 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 123 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 125 000 km

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Snorkeling at Vidal and fishing at St Lucia seems like a good plan to me.

Accomodation wise the ideal would be a cabin or bungalow walking distance from the st Lucia mouth so I can walk to go fishing. If safe enough, night fishing would be great. My companions are not keen on staying in a tent.

Any suggestions for accomodation?

only place walking distance from the mouth is sugar loaf campsite

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

Accomodation wise the ideal would be a cabin or bungalow walking distance from the st Lucia mouth so I can walk to go fishing. If safe enough, night fishing would be great. My companions are not keen on staying in a tent.

Daar is baie lekker blyplekke om van te kies, maar Sugarloaf is die naaste aan die mond. Sien daar is so bietjie gemengde gevoelens oor die stand van sake in die kamp. Ek hou van blyplek in die dorp want dan kan ek loop na waar ek en die familie wil wees.
    HENK

We used to frequent Saxmere Lodge but I saw its for sale now.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

A few to Google in different price brackets. (apologies if I made a spelling mistake or two on some of these names)

Enduduzweni Tree House
    Stone Ridge Luxury Self Catering
    Manzini Chalets
    Hippo View
    Pieter le Roux

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast