Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: St Lucia Mouth

Default St Lucia Mouth

I dont have all the facts re the mouth and the and the Mfolosi river but did spend a lot of holidays in the 80's at sugarloaf.

This I think might be a fairly good article

https://dailyfriend.co.za/2020/10/23...ards-solution/

but is a bit short on facts and figures for me and that raises by BS meter a bit

Comments from you lot with history in the area would be welcome please

Default Re: St Lucia Mouth

I would love to see the lake like it used to be when I was a laaitie in the 80's. We go there every december and it St Lucia would offer so much more if the mouth was open.
    n' profeet word nie in sy eie land geken nie!

The day some idiot said stop dredging was the day all sane arguments walked out the door.

Fishing is poor. Fanies Eiland, Charters and other spots higher up went to ruin. This used to be paradise. Now it is in a terrible state. The reeds are taking over because there is no salt water to kill it off. There are more crocs than ever. They are all along the beach where they normally didn't really wander around. The muddy water is such a sad sight to see.

The channel to the sea was the lifeline for the fishing community with easy access to the sea. It worked, why did they change it as it worked for decades until some chop thought otherwise. My family went to St.Lucia since the 60's and they have always kept the waterways open to the sea and it worked.

All I hope is that they will open it up again so the lake can return to its prime and we can fish again.
    HENK

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: St Lucia Mouth

We just spend 4 days at St Lucia. Yes, I signed the petition the locals have to try and get the authorities to do something about the state of the estuary and what it is doing to the tourist/fishing industry.

What have I learned,

The St Lucia ski boat club is no more.
    The town is realing from a lack of tourists because of the lockdown.
    Restaurants have closed and stores are battling to make ends meet.
    The estuary is worse than when I was here 2 years ago.
    The boat lockers at the otherside of Eden Park have been torn down.
    Locals from the surrounds are taking over and can be a bit of a nuisance in town.
    Fishing from the shore is below average.
    Deepsea they are still getting some fish.
    The sunset cruises on the estuary can't take place anymore as the channels are to shallow.
    Waterlevels are at an alltime low in most parts.
    The reeds are overgrowing most of the lower parts of the estuary.
    HENK

This is the scene at the mouth. Casaurinas are starting to grow where there used to be estuary waters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HENK

Eish that's sad

Is the croc farm on the vidal road still going

The boatlockers are no more. The launch here normally used for smaller craft traversing the estuary are overgrown with reeds and chocked with mud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201031_144043.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	326.2 KB 
ID:	594219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201031_144107.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	662.7 KB 
ID:	594220  
    HENK

What was once beautiful deep blue waters of the estuary near the ski boat club is now choked and so shallow that the only thing left are flamingos. Crocs and hippos have all moved higher up into the system away from the muddy waters close to town.
    HENK

Sunset jetty were once a mooring point for a number of watercraft but they water here is now to shallow. Operaters who are dependent on tourists to make use of their outings into the estuary system towards the lakes can no longer use the waterways. In this picture to the right more flamingos can be seen. Water here were once deep and teeming with fish.
    HENK

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Speaking to people who have been here all their lives is sad as they all remember the heydays and this state of affairs is sad for them all.
    Because of overseas travellers, most places were extremely expensive to stay at. With lockdown came the rude awakening that they have to cater for local tourists as well, as most can't afford the very expensive rates charged to the overseas visitors.
    Isimangaliso are not doing anything to keep up facilities or to promote the area in any way. The game park are showing signs of neglect already.
    Cape Vidal is closed for anyone wishing to stay over as is the case with Mapelane. Day visitors still frequent Vidal though as it stays an attraction and a good launch site for the ski boat enthusiasts.
    How long before Sodwana and Kosi bay follow these? I can only hope that the decision will be made to save St Lucia by dredging the estuary and to open the mouth to the sea. It will take years but it can be the magical place again, it was before.
    HENK

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Whats the history of this. I thought they spent big bucks recently with lots of earthmoving happening. What were they doing. What was the original scenario before man interfered.
    Why is Cape vidal campsite closed.? I heard they never paid there electricity account. Is this a rumour.?

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Whats the history of this. I thought they spent big bucks recently with lots of earthmoving happening. What were they doing. What was the original scenario before man interfered.
    Why is Cape vidal campsite closed.? I heard they never paid there electricity account. Is this a rumour.?
    The eartmoving equipment was used to build up a wall to divert water from the Umfolozi into the estuary. Thay was suppose to help with the water levels that were getting low.

We (man) always dredged the estuary in the past and it worked extremely well. Life in the estuary and lakes were balanced and there were mangrove forrests lining the banks not reeds choking the waterways. The waters in the system were usually clean and blue for most of the year. Big fish like grunter, kabeljou, sharks and many other spacies that I can't remember were caught around Fanies and Charters and even higher up in the lakes.

They claimed something to do with a generator at Vidal but your rumour of unpaid bills rings more true.

All in all, the whole area is falling to ruin because of a very bad decision years ago. Unesco doesn't always know best as they want everyone to believe. They really destroyed the St Lucia estuary as I knew it from the late 70's when they said leave the mouth closed and don't dredge.
    HENK

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Hi it sounds like a lot of water is coming down the umfolosi.

Is the lake rising?

Can enough come down to open the mouth?
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way!

We're in St Lucia currently. I would say the water level is on the high side compared to the last couple of years. Have not ventured onto the boardwalk yet, but will do so after the public holidays.

Edit:
    I can't see the mouth opening from rain alone.
    Last edited by JAPster; 2020/12/24 at 06:17 PM.
    Alfa 159 - die dors ene, met 6 silinders
    Fiat 500c - SWAMBO se pink'e met 'n swart pruik, en make-up
    VW T5 4Motion - cause there ain't no Italian 4x4 kombies

Quote Originally Posted by JAPster View Post
    We're in St Lucia currently.

Edit:
    I can't see the mouth opening from rain alone.
    imagine filming the mouth slowly opening up

once that water gets over or around somehow and with the right tides

would be an awesome video

worth billions i tell you

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

MHK

The St Lucia estuary was killed by the draineage of the Umfolozi marshlands for growing sugar cane. Not sure when this happened but guessing around the 70's

That is the time the natural filter stopped doing what it is supposed to do and as a result all the sediment had nowhere to go but into the estuary.

It has been a slow death but looks like we have reached the end of the line for the estuary.

The Government back then allowed this and this is just another case of short term profits at the expense of a unique natural system which will never recover...

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    The St Lucia estuary was killed by the draineage of the Umfolozi marshlands for growing sugar cane. Not sure when this happened but guessing around the 70's

That is the time the natural filter stopped doing what it is supposed to do and as a result all the sediment had nowhere to go but into the estuary.

It has been a slow death but looks like we have reached the end of the line for the estuary.

The Government back then allowed this and this is just another case of short term profits at the expense of a unique natural system which will never recover...
    This is my understanding as well. Highest value farmland in the country means itís unlikely to be reverted to original wetland.

Every 50 years or so a big flood will come and open mouth. If we donít keep dredging the estuary, it will close up with mud, until a big event

Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post

That is the time the natural filter stopped doing what it is supposed to do and as a result all the sedimenpt had nowhere to go but into the estuary.

I thought that some of this was trying to be corrected by the fact that the umfolosi are now again flowing into the estuary.

I don't know the St Lucia estuary but am very interested in these attempted rehabilitation.
    Zerubbabel the 2008 4.8 Patrol
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabelís way!

We are also here in St Lucia at the moment, the lake is a lot fuller than last year. But the mouth will probably never look like when I was a laaitie fishing grunter and rock cod in the lake.
    n' profeet word nie in sy eie land geken nie!

Just took a drive to the boardwalk. Now closed as the water level is to high. Officials are concerned about crocs and I have to admit, I agree with them.

There is also a crock with small hatchlings at the old public jetty just before the skiboat club. Last picture just below the tree leaves on the water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201225_182605.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	636.9 KB 
ID:	600189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201225_182612.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	289.9 KB 
ID:	600190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201225_184858.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	600191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201225_184922.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	600192  
    Alfa 159 - die dors ene, met 6 silinders
    Fiat 500c - SWAMBO se pink'e met 'n swart pruik, en make-up
    VW T5 4Motion - cause there ain't no Italian 4x4 kombies

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAPster For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast