Should I reconsider my loyalty to Cooper?? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Should I reconsider my loyalty to Cooper??

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Says the man who seldom goes Off Road
    He does....that gravel een spoor path from house to brewery...on Cooper tyre sandals

(Couldn't resist)
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Had put coopers on my shortlist....maybe I stick to what I know, though the maxxis razr ATs and MTs look promising

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Don't expect BFG to stand by their products. Several forum members have tried and I can't remember of a single instance where BFG did come to the party, if a tyre was damaged. Excuses are the same, either pressure too low or tyre was abused, according to the rep.
    I differ from the above statement, and perhaps it was my approach that got me a different outcome.

We bought the FJ on KOí2 with 54Kkm of seemingly hard off-road use. All 5 tyres had similar cracks along the tread.

I sent an email to Michelin HO and a senior manager sent me a message stating the BFG rep in my area will contact me.

She did soon afterwards, checked each tyre, did measurements and refunded me 54% of tread life remaining. I had a great experience with BFG, both our 4x4ís run on BFG, FJ on the very sexy KM3ís.

I had ST Maxx on our previous FJ, my 105 and 79 V8. Great traction, but even though I rotated regularly they had uneven wear and became exceptionally noisy. Never any punctures and they got used offroad often.

I will however not buy Cooper again. Definitely not if they donít support their customers.

I see the guys in Oz love GY MTRís. But then it is a MT.
    Dirk Theron
    Ď18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    Ď19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best build ever
    Ď17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    I differ from the above statement, and perhaps it was my approach that got me a different outcome.

We bought the FJ on KOí2 with 54Kkm of seemingly hard off-road use. All 5 tyres had similar cracks along the tread.

I sent an email to Michelin HO and a senior manager sent me a message stating the BFG rep in my area will contact me.

She did soon afterwards, checked each tyre, did measurements and refunded me 54% of tread life remaining. I had a great experience with BFG, both our 4x4ís run on BFG, FJ on the very sexy KM3ís.

I had ST Maxx on our previous FJ, my 105 and 79 V8. Great traction, but even though I rotated regularly they had uneven wear and became exceptionally noisy. Never any punctures and they got used offroad often.

I will however not buy Cooper again. Definitely not if they donít support their customers.

I see the guys in Oz love GY MTRís. But then it is a MT.
    That's encouraging to hear.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Says the man who seldom goes Off Road
    Ag ja. I do trails all around Harties, all along the Magalies. But a lot of these are not public so I'm not posting pics.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I've used BFG A/T's for 15 years. I don't drive trails, but have done multiple thousands of kilometres overlanding through every country south of the equator. From the rocks of Van Zyl's Pass to the mud of South Luangwa, I have enjoyed brilliant service from my BFG's.

I have had some chipping especially on the old KO1 BFG's and last December I spent a month in Kaokoland and travelled very rocky routes on KO2's. There was a little bit of chipping, especially on the rear tires, but we really did go over some difficult terrain. Other than that, I have had one puncture, which I picked up on the tar to Lusaka. Nothing else. Zero. Nada.

Driving a heavy overland vehicle with A/T tires, on tar in the rain, who is silly enough to drive at excessive speeds?! Obviously one adjusts your speed to circumstances!

In February this year I bought new BFG A/T's and decided to check the spare. The sidewall that lay flush against the underside of my additional fuel tank, had developed protuberances that were "blister-like". The technician stated that it might be damage from a diesel leakage, but we could find no leak and so we called the BFG rep to come and have a look. He was there the next day, had a look, but couldn't explain what had caused the large blisters. There and then, without any quibble whatsoever, he replaced my spare wheel with a brand new one. Thank you BFG!!

I believe that BFG's are a wonderful tire that perform consistently well under the most trying of circumstances - heavy overland vehicle over tough terrain, day after day. And their service in my experience is absolutely great. I would recommend BFG's in a heartbeat.

2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 S/W

Will it not be possible to send this thread to a cooper dealer to see the unhappiness of customers or will it be just ignored/shut down.
    Drikus Paulsen

Trok: Ford Ranger 2.2 Xl-Plus aka RHINO sleep Echo Chobe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dp123 For This Useful Post:

I was also happy with my Coopers but those price jumps put me off them completely. After all there are quite a few brands that will do the same job well. I don't like these kind of games. Once the product gains popularity, increase the prices because customers "will stay with you". Sorry, no.

Wrangler Sahara 3.8
    Ex: 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7
    Ex: 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0
    Ex: 1997 Cherokee XJ 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I got the ST Maxx on my FJ and they are an ok tyre, no reason for unhappiness. However, I believe there is better value for money out there.
    As to deflating your tyres: I always deflate for gravel roads. If you are unsure about the pressure, feel the tyre temperature after about 20 minutes driving at speed. If the tyre is warm to the touch, that's ok. If tyres get hot, then the pressure is too low for that speed & weight combination. Check again after another 30 - 40 minutes driving, to make sure the tyres are still ok.
    I check the tyre temperatures by hand every time I take a break when driving on gravel, it's easy to pick up a slow puncture that way, too.

There is a fantastic thing called TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) which can be screwed at the valve cap with a monitor on your dashboard.
    You can see tyre pressure, temperature and get a warning when either is reaching critical values (tyre pressure leak or high temps)

After set-up you never look back and costs are less than a new tyre in any case.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:‚Äč‚Äč WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Over time I got my Cooper ST replaced twice on 2 vehicles after they started to show some superficial cracks along the rim and did some flaking on the profile blocks.
    After 2 times same story the agent proposed to swap to Cooper STT which were behaving better in terms of cracks, the flaking was still an issue.
    These swaps were free of costs for my done by the Dunlop (agent for Coopers) here in Gaborone.

I then changed to Cooper ST maxx which are still on one vehicle and have done in excess of 5 k km lots on tar roads to Zambia, the other were General Grabber MT which were very prone to sidewall damage and I threw them out after 4 tyres (out of 6) were destroyed on the sidewall with only 25k average mileage.

Now running on Good Year M/T R (kevlar sidewall) and asymmetric block pattern and very happy with performance, road noise and wear.
    No sidewall issues ever.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:‚Äč‚Äč WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dp123 View Post
    Will it not be possible to send this thread to a cooper dealer to see the unhappiness of customers or will it be just ignored/shut down.
    I spoke to two dealers so far and both had similar issues and lack of support from Cooper and therefore stopped selling them.

I'll keep on spreading the word wherever I go, but it seems like most guys in the industry are not surprised and already stopped selling them. One dealer even replaced tyres for an unhappy Cooper customer at the dealer's cost, without ANY financial assistance from Cooper.

In a year or two they will realise that their bad service is costing them market share that they will not easily get back.
    Last edited by Monkey-D; 2020/11/24 at 07:37 AM.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (for sale)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

Yesterday I found a fine crack originating at the outer edge of a tread block running down the shoulder of the tyre towards the centre. Looks like the tyre hit something, the area at the tread block got a little bit of rubber missing.
    I never experienced anything like that before on several different and much cheaper AT & MT tyres.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4