Should I reconsider my loyalty to Cooper?? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Should I reconsider my loyalty to Cooper??

Tables from Sean also indicate why I love my Velocity Raptors. 100,000kms and no issues.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-D View Post
    I've had 6x sets of Cooper ST/Maxx tyres on different vehicles before.

I currently have:
    - 4 + 2 spare on LC200
    - 4 + 2 spare on Hilux
    - 2 + 1 spare on Bush Lapa
    = 15x total currently (excludes previous vehicles)

I travelled 10km on a very rocky farm road two weeks ago. Tyres down to 1.4bar pressure. Slow driving (took 1.5hrs for the 10km). The attached photos is what the Cooper ST/Maxx on the LC200 look like now. Is this normal and/or acceptable?

I've had to replace the full set of tyres twice on LC76 after 30000-40000km use. Not because the thread was finished, but because the sidewalls started cracking. I think this was because I left mud on them for too long, which dried them out. I've therefore made sure to keep them clean and use silicone tyre treatment often to keep the tyres moisturised.

Am I expecting too much? I'd like to hear what others say about this...
    I had similar problems on Coopers, it worries me.
    Current set had to dump two already due to sidewall damage and the two left on the rear are chipping badly.
    They expire early 2021.
    Currently doing price checks and found good prices on the Wranglers, so will shortly replace with my old brand Wranglers.

The one on the rear suddenly developed a new sidewall mark and is sort of crumbling.
    Now days on pension I would not do as much km as in the past so switching back to Wranglers.
    They are cheap and possibly will give me about 60-70k for their lifetime, that would give me approx 4-6 years.
    For me good enough as the cost is fairly cheap and life span is approx 5 years.
    Last edited by Danie S; 2020/10/26 at 08:36 PM.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

If you don't get satisfaction from a product and the after sales service attached to said product, move onto the next product. Loyalty rarely gets rewarded anyway.

I can only comment on two current AT tyres, that being Firestone Destination AT and General Grabber AT3 LT spec.

The Firestone tyres were great until they weren't and couldn't be balanced. Of course everything but Firestone got blamed by the fitment centre, anything from incorrect suspension geometry to "fubar" shock absorbers to ABS braking (On a Bolero??).

I changed both fitment centre and tyre brand. I fitted a set of general Grabber AT3 to my Bolero just before selling it but the 2000KM I drove on them really impressed me so when I bought the PikUp I had a set fitted right after the first service.

What I like about the General Grabber AT3 LT:
    Quiet.
    Handles wet roads very well.
    Handles rocky terrain very well.
    Doesn't debead easily at low inflation pressure on sand.
    They have now done 30 000KM and still look just about new.
    They were very affordable when compared to the competition.

Dislikes:
    None so far.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    As can be seen, there are only 3 AT tyres available that have 3 ply sidewalls. However, there a a few which give excellent tread length with minimal sidewall bulge at various pressures, thus possibly negating the sidewall puncture risk.
    I see the Grandtrek AT3G fails miserably at tread length. (What units are those, BTW?).

I fitted them to replace the Cooper AT that was on the Hilux. 9000km later and they look and perform like they're brand new. Assuming my experience stays as it has since July, I'm very happy with my new tyre choice. Performance for the money has been well worth it to me.
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

I've had 6x sets of Cooper ST/Maxx tyres on different vehicles before.I currently have:- 4 + 2 spare on LC200- 4 + 2 spare on Hilux- 2 + 1 spare on Bush Lapa= 15x total currently (excludes previous vehicles)I travelled 10km on a very rocky farm road two weeks ago. Tyres down to 1.4bar pressure. Slow driving (took 1.5hrs for the 10km). The attached photos is what the Cooper ST/Maxx on the LC200 look like now. Is this normal and/or acceptable?I've had to replace the full set of tyres twice on LC76 after 30000-40000km use. Not because the thread was finished, but because the sidewalls started cracking. I think this was because I left mud on them for too long, which dried them out. I've therefore made sure to keep them clean and use silicone tyre treatment often to keep the tyres moisturised.Am I expecting too much? I'd like to hear what others say about this...
    Geen band gaan hou teen 1.4bar druk nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    10km plaas pad. 1.5ure gekry aan die pad. Dadelik weer gegaan na 2.4-2.6bar by teer.

Op Faces of the Namib gaan mens party dae af tot 0.8bar, anders sal jy vir ewig in die Namib vas sit. Maar dit was nie met hierdie stel nie.
    Last edited by Monkey-D; 2020/10/27 at 07:06 AM.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2016 Bush Lapa Miskruier (for sale)

UPDATE:
    Cooper went out to fitment centre where I bought over 4x sets (of 6 tyres per set) of ST/Maxx before, to inspect the tyre. THEY ARE NOT REPLACING THE TYRES.

From what I read here and heard from other guys in the industry, I did not expect anything else from Cooper. Cooper are more expensive, have a bad product and terrible service.

I'm switching back to BF Goodrich (KO2 this time).

I would discourage anyone from buying Cooper tires because of this.
    Riaan

2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Bos View Post
    Hoekom nie?

Ek hardloop my BFG bande teen 1 bar in slegte klip areas en as ook op die slegte paste in Leshoto, hulle het geen probleem nie.

Ek praat van paste waar jy 2-4km in n uur doen

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

UPDATE:
    Cooper went out to fitment centre where I bought over 4x sets (of 6 tyres per set) of ST/Maxx before, to inspect the tyre. THEY ARE NOT REPLACING THE TYRES.

From what I read here and heard from other guys in the industry, I did not expect anything else from Cooper. Cooper are more expensive, have a bad product and terrible service.

I'm switching back to BF Goodrich (KO2 this time).

I would discourage anyone from buying Cooper tires because of this.
    Ek sekondeer dit heeltemal , maak n mens siek as hulle nie by die produk kan staan nie.
    Drikus Paulsen

Trok: Ford Ranger 2.2 Xl-Plus aka RHINO sleep Echo Chobe.

I'm currently using up my last set of Cooper tyres, had a sidewall tear driving in town, approx. 20 000km on the tyres. These are Cooper Zeon's, contacted the agent for Gauteng, sent him a photo, promised to come back to me. He never did, was either a liar or just applied their policy (looking at previous comments of terrible service).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooperZeon.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	593803
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ask 4x4 rental companies, they have to eek every cent out of the tyre that they possibly can.

I know Bushlore uses Cooper ST Maxx on their cruisers, and Britz uses BFG K01 last time I heard, probably on K02 now if they still use BFG.

If there was a cheaper tyre that had a reliable service life these companies would be on it immediately. (same reason you see Hilti and Makita at too rentals)

I love the Maxxis Bighorns, they have served me very well in anything from rocks to sand, but 8+ ply sidewalls do not hold up well when deflated for sand use as the sidewall heats up more than a thinner sidewall, so be careful not going to low with pressures. Bushlore recommends 1.6 bar minimum on the ST Maxx.

Hahaha...

Coopers were cheaper than BFG when I switched from BFG KO(1) to Cooper ST Maxx. Not sure what made the Coopers more expensive over the last 10 years.

Yes, there are other brands that are less expensive. My question is: If all brands cost the same, what would you fit? Sometimes price is not the main consideration for everyone...
    Monkey-D, I fully agree.

All I can say is that I have vehicles running on the mines. I drive several thousand of the worst gravel roads you can think of per year. I would be so glad if someone can point me to cheap alternative that will outlast the tyres I am currently using.

For many years there were always more than ten 4x4`s in the family and business at anytime. I have tried them all BFG, Coopers.
    Dunlop, Goodyear, Maxxis and every other popular brand. Tried out some El Cheapo`s. Most of the tyers I have owned died due to side wall cuts long before they reach the end of service.

Tried Maxxis Bighorns on the Yank Ranger. Lost three to date thanks to sidewall cuts.

In the end I drive tyres what work for me due to experience gained over many years. Think there is a difference using a 4x4 once a year or doing the odd 4x4 outing to one driving in mining conditions and regular gravel travel.

I have a deal. Any company or person sponsor me with what you think is your best tyre. If they last 90k km I will pay you for the full set. Also I will pay a bonus that equals the difference in price of the sponsor tyre and what I normally use. If they don`t make it they you loose.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

What brand are your current tyres?

"In the end I drive tyres what work for me due to experience gained over many years."

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Monkey-D, I fully agree.

All I can say is that I have vehicles running on the mines. I drive several thousand of the worst gravel roads you can think of per year. I would be so glad if someone can point me to cheap alternative that will outlast the tyres I am currently using.

For many years there were always more than ten 4x4`s in the family and business at anytime. I have tried them all BFG, Coopers.
    Dunlop, Goodyear, Maxxis and every other popular brand. Tried out some El Cheapo`s. Most of the tyers I have owned died due to side wall cuts long before they reach the end of service.

Tried Maxxis Bighorns on the Yank Ranger. Lost three to date thanks to sidewall cuts.

In the end I drive tyres what work for me due to experience gained over many years. Think there is a difference using a 4x4 once a year or doing the odd 4x4 outing to one driving in mining conditions and regular gravel travel.

I have a deal. Any company or person sponsor me with what you think is your best tyre. If they last 90k km I will pay you for the full set. Also I will pay a bonus that equals the difference in price of the sponsor tyre and what I normally use. If they don`t make it they you loose.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Monkey-D, I fully agree.

Grips, you are part of a minority here. In your usage scenario it makes a lot of sense to look at the off road side of tyres only. Apart from full time farmers, how many of us can say they use a tyre that way?
    And I think that people like you, tend to be able to read the road and drive accordingly. There is a lot more to driving gravel road than simply deflating the tyres.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    What brand are your current tyres?

"In the end I drive tyres what work for me due to experience gained over many years."
    Precisely the reason, after ten years of owning multiple sets of AT BFG's I won't buy them again.

And before I get crucified: I live a kilometer from the sea and not in Far far away land as I used to where things were rough and I needed hardworking tyres, like Grips and my friend Chris does. Here I don't need three ply sidewalls as the two 4bys spend their lives on tar and coastal sand. If I want to see rocks and stuff that will cut sidewalls Google Images will have to help.

Also, it rains here, for days on end. Which doesn't help if you have to drive off road biased tyres on tar.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2020/10/31 at 05:18 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Update:
    I've replaced the two worst damaged Cooper ST/Maxx tyres and fitted BFG KO2 tyres to the two spares. Four wheels in use still have Cooper.

When (not if) the other Coopers start failing, I'll get two more BFG KO2 and fit the 4x wheels with KO2 to the vehicle and use the "best" Coopers as the two spares.

I'm not ever buying a Cooper again. Mostly because of their horrible service and not commiting to their loyal customers and their own products. I'm making sure everyone I talk to do the same...
    Riaan

2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

Update:
    I've replaced the two worst damaged Cooper ST/Maxx tyres and fitted BFG KO2 tyres to the two spares. Four wheels in use still have Cooper.

When (not if) the other Coopers start failing, I'll get two more BFG KO2 and fit the 4x wheels with KO2 to the vehicle and use the "best" Coopers as the two spares.

I'm not ever buying a Cooper again. Mostly because of their horrible service and not commiting to their loyal customers and their own products. I'm making sure everyone I talk to do the same...
    Don't expect BFG to stand by their products. Several forum members have tried and I can't remember of a single instance where BFG did come to the party, if a tyre was damaged. Excuses are the same, either pressure too low or tyre was abused, according to the rep.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Don't expect BFG to stand by their products. Several forum members have tried and I can't remember of a single instance where BFG did come to the party, if a tyre was damaged. Excuses are the same, either pressure too low or tyre was abused, according to the rep.
    Yes. Probably true. Atleast is seems like no sidewall cracking and cuts like you see on Coopers...
    Riaan

2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Grips, you are part of a minority here. In your usage scenario it makes a lot of sense to look at the off road side of tyres only. Apart from full time farmers, how many of us can say they use a tyre that way?
    And I think that people like you, tend to be able to read the road and drive accordingly. There is a lot more to driving gravel road than simply deflating the tyres.
    Hugo what gets me is that people come on to threads like this and start bashing. People I know from this forum since joining it. When I look at their posts you hardly find them doing offroad stuff. For these guys stuff like Hankooks and Fong Kongs work. If they believe it is the best so be it.

Yes I would buy any alternative today if I can be assured that I will get the same service from a set.
    I believe people like About Africa if he suggests Maxxis Razr MT as I know he do serious 4x4 trips.
    If a tyre like Sailun Terramax MT gives good performance why not. Farmer friend of mine is running a set of Sailun`s so I will soon know what they are like.

I had a set of Coopers on one of my business 4x4`s were not impressed. Had more punctures in one year than any other tyre I have ever owned.

In the end I need to have confidence in a tyre. It drives me mad when doing bad roads to wonder about having a puncture al the time. My last trip with the Yank Ranger I took two spares along. Were not nice stressing about the Maxxis all the way.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Cooper buyers are like BFG buyers.

Even if there is a better, cheaper tyre on the market, they will ignore them and keep on buying their overpriced products.
    Says the man who seldom goes Off Road

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast