Campsite Prices South Africa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Campsite Prices South Africa

There was a thread a few days ago mentioning prices for camping in SA would be too high
    I've booked a tour along the coast from CT to Ithala and thought I'm going to share the prices with you.
    We have a Wild Card. Prices are for 2 people per night and for campsites except at Addo where I booked a chalet at Mathyolweni,
    because they had only tent sites available.

Bontebok NP R267
    Garden Route NP Stormsriver R360
    Addo NP R1910
    Yellow Sands Caravan Park (pensioner price) R120
    Mbotyi Lodge and Camping R240
    Ovaflo Resort R210
    Ithala GR Doornkraal R350
    Shemula (near Tembe, forum members get discount) R 200

I do not feel campsite prices are too high, contrary, they are absolutely reasonable.
    A caravan site at Addo would have cost R390 and the regular price at Yellow Sands would be R300

Also, I did last minute bookings for the next week, there are school holidays, but none of the places were full.

So please guys, get your gear out of the garage and support the businesses
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2020/10/21 at 11:33 AM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Campsite Prices South Africa

I agree that those prices are very reasonable. Unfortunately they are certainly not representative of a lot of the more popular campsites, especially in the Gauteng region. When you start to pay in the region of R900 per night for 2 adults and 1 child (heritage day weekend) are these resorts pricing themselves out of the market?

I have again this morning seen an advert of camping in Dinokeng(will not mention the specific camp) - R 300/night for stand and then add R150/p/p/p/n = that is a whopping R900/night for a family of 4...
    Some other popular resorts are R550/night for 4 - this started getting a bit rough if you are only 2x people but again life at this stage remains expensive...

I will continue looking around for the quieter places at reasonable rates.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
    I agree that those prices are very reasonable. Unfortunately they are certainly not representative of a lot of the more popular campsites, especially in the Gauteng region. When you start to pay in the region of R900 per night for 2 adults and 1 child (heritage day weekend) are these resorts pricing themselves out of the market?
    Probably yes. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    There was a thread a few days ago mentioning prices for camping in SA would be too high
    I've booked a tour along the coast from CT to Ithala and thought I'm going to share the prices with you.
    We have a Wild Card. Prices are for 2 people per night and for campsites except at Addo where I booked a chalet at Mathyolweni,
    because they had only tent sites available.

Bontebok NP R267
    Garden Route NP Stormsriver R360
    Addo NP R1910
    Yellow Sands Caravan Park (pensioner price) R120
    Mbotyi Lodge and Camping R240
    Ovaflo Resort R210
    Ithala GR Doornkraal R350
    Shemula (near Tembe, forum members get discount) R 200

I do not feel campsite prices are too high, contrary, they are absolutely reasonable.
    A caravan site at Addo would have cost R390 and the regular price at Yellow Sands would be R300

Also, I did last minute bookings for the next week, there are school holidays, but none of the places were full.

So please guys, get your gear out of the garage and support the businesses
    Probably for mid weeks at the coast, try weekends in Gauteng / North West / Limpopo

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Keep looking and try to support those places that offer reasonable prices.
    Sometimes places are really hidden, it took me some weeks to find out about Shemula ��
    I would also not hesitate to contact a business and negotiate about the rates if a family of x.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2020/10/21 at 11:58 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

J-9

I don't understand the need to increase/double price for school holidays/long weekends etc. You are guaranteed to be full which might cost you a couple of hands more to keep clean etc as an additional expense. But you site is full.

We have booked for December - south cape area.
    George - Mount View
    J-Bay - Gamtoos ferry Hotel
    Kirkwood(outside addo) - Sitrusoewer.
    Calitzdorp - Karoowater

George being the most expensive by almost R2k for a period of 4 days for 2 caravan stands.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

I booked Mbotyi as an alternative to the run down Cremorne Estate and they look as if they are a real gem.

https://mbotyi.co.za/

Keep looking

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

It seems there are after all some advantages to being "pensioners", "seniors", and travelling just two together.
    Also out of season and especially mid week nights (Sun to Thu) usually much cheaper probably also for the younger ones (?).
    But when you add family then I can see that it does become very expensive, so then shared type accommodation may be better ?
    But for camping - generally stay away from the "commercial" standard caravan parks with all the bells and whistles, free WiFI, internet, entertainment room, etc. etc.
    But again, with little ones, eish - I can see the problem.
    If frequently visiting parks board or similar places do yourself a favour and get a Wild / Rhino / whatever, card ... it reduces costs a LOT.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Yet all the popular resorts that charge R1000 per night are always full over the peak periods. Supply and demand I suppose...
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazza For This Useful Post:

For how long are you standing at Addo for R1910 ?
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    I don't understand the need to increase/double price for school holidays/long weekends etc. You are guaranteed to be full which might cost you a couple of hands more to keep clean etc as an additional expense. But you site is full.

We have booked for December - south cape area.
    George - Mount View
    J-Bay - Gamtoos ferry Hotel
    Kirkwood(outside addo) - Sitrusoewer.
    Calitzdorp - Karoowater

George being the most expensive by almost R2k for a period of 4 days for 2 caravan stands.
    I would imagine if its private campsites run as a business it all about yielding rates.

why sell something for R 100 if the market at that specific time is will to pay R 300

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Kruger and Kgalagadi without wildcard R600/night 2pax
    Pensioner with Wildcard R 286/night 2pax

21. The Following User Says Thank You to desdrake For This Useful Post:

My mom commented that the prices in SA are quite high, compared to the UK - I cant comment on the UK prices myself, but we stayed at Loskop Dam (forever Resort) last long weekend in September, 7 people, 4 nights, 3 vehicles (no boat) and the bill was R3720 or R930 per night.....

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbingTurtle View Post
    My mom commented that the prices in SA are quite high, compared to the UK - I cant comment on the UK prices myself, but we stayed at Loskop Dam (forever Resort) last long weekend in September, 7 people, 4 nights, 3 vehicles (no boat) and the bill was R3720 or R930 per night.....
    OK, but in fairness, 7 people / 3 vehicles ... so let's say equivalent for two old folk in one vehicle = circa R 310 per night.
    Acceptable I would say ?
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

We have been on the road 6 weeks. R300 has been highest - in total 3 nights. Cheapest just over R100 and average under R200. 2 people, green card and pensioners discounts. Includes couple national parks and really good places.

Out of season!
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    It seems there are after all some advantages to being "pensioners", "seniors", and travelling just two together.
    Also out of season and especially mid week nights (Sun to Thu) usually much cheaper probably also for the younger ones (?).
    But when you add family then I can see that it does become very expensive, so then shared type accommodation may be better ?
    But for camping - generally stay away from the "commercial" standard caravan parks with all the bells and whistles, free WiFI, internet, entertainment room, etc. etc.
    But again, with little ones, eish - I can see the problem.
    If frequently visiting parks board or similar places do yourself a favour and get a Wild / Rhino / whatever, card ... it reduces costs a LOT.
    That is one of my bugbears, Come friday night you are still a senior and unless in peak season you are helping to fill their camp site, a little thanks for your support during the otherwise quiet week would be great
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

27. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    That is one of my bugbears, Come friday night you are still a senior and unless in peak season you are helping to fill their camp site, a little thanks for your support during the otherwise quiet week would be great

The other day my parents went camping at a place from Monday to Sunday which would have been mid week pensioners rate and then normal rate over the weekend. Knowing fully what they must pay, my dad asked them jokingly if they must really switch to full rate for the weekend, the lady then just said no, she guesses it's not really necessary since she knows they won't run away before the weekend, she then made out their invoice with the pensioners rate for Monday to Sunday, so I guess if you don't ask, you'll never know.
    I think another factor was that the camp site wasn't full even over that weekend, but if the demand is there, they'll much rather supply that weekend to someone at R200 PP PN, than to a pensioner at R100 PP PN.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Camp sites are definitely struggling now out of season except one of many we were at. That non struggling is Point in Mossel Bay. Somebody bought the municipal park couple years back. Is upgrading. Not enough campers. They started pensioners special. Seven days and R105 per day. Nearly full camp. Then there are monthly rates. R2400 at the Point, R2100 at the Willows in PE. Some are even cheaper. At Willows no increase for peak time We paid pensioners rates. In one place (Ou Skip) they had a special, which was less than pensioner's. Only place we could not get in was Ado. In two camps we were the only people camping.

There are bargains now. Just decline over priced offers. We had to take twice rooms. R500 and R650 for a night. We turned down R900 range.

We learned one thing. There is no summer this time of the year on West or East coast. Summer is only inland.

We will not go to any camp site over the festive season. Prices are nuts if you get a place on coast. Inland you will get places better priced offers including our holiday place.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Read interesting article about camp sites in the US. Most private sites dont allow Motorhomes older than 10 years or “bus conversion” to camp there. It is apparently not good for their image. State camp sites excluded.
    2008 Hilux D4D Dbl Cab 4x2
    2016 Discovery SDV6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast