Which tyres for a large SUV?

Default Which tyres for a large SUV?

Iím sure this has been debated before, but my search didnít provide adequate info, so please bear with me!

Very disappointed in the mileage I got from 275/50/R20 Continental ContactSport on my 2014 Merc GL350. Currently 21000 on front tyres and 17000km on rear. All 4 need to be replaced. Donít do serious offroad and hardly ever exceed speed limit.

What tyres would you suggest if deciding factor is significantly higher mileage?

Default Re: Which tyres for a large SUV?

That's a bit of an exotic size. Without having any experience with those tyres, I would suggest Cooper Leon LTZ, sort of a mix between HT and AT tyre.
    Otherwise have a look at Michelin Latitude Tour HP or Yokohama Geolandar G056 H/T, both HT tyres.

Usually the AT tyres of these companies give decent to very good mileage.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

I had Cooper ltz 20" on my RRFF, the SC and did more than 30kkm without hardly any thread loss.
    I had to replace due to a sidewall gauge on the front left
    I didn't opt for the same set again as I wanted more side wall, mine were 275/50/20 if I remember correctly, more suited to the Sport than the Big body

That is crazy low mileage. I run a lower profile 295/35/21 but with similar weight and quite a bit more power (that gets used every day) Iím getting around 40k km out of a set. So far I have used Toyo and nexen, both very good if a little noisy.

Only tar road and sometimes a bit of gravel
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

I'm running Cooper LTZ 275/55/20 on her Ford Everest. Worst it'll ever do is the odd gravel road...otherwise just tar roads. Awesome tyre.
    I'm also running Pirelli AT+ 275/55/20 on my Amarok Extreme....also an amazing tyre.
    2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6 (QTec Tuned - 240KW / 700NM)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

If the size is available have a good look at the General Grabber GT. Specifically designed for heavy SUV's I have a set on my ML and they are thus far the best tyres for the application I have come across. Quiet operation, very good wet and dry traction and seem to be wearing much better if compared to what the Continental Cross contact looked like at the same mileage.

I will never fit Continental again as they don't give miles and are average at best in every other department.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    I'm running Cooper LTZ 275/55/20 on her Ford Everest. Worst it'll ever do is the odd gravel road...otherwise just tar roads. Awesome tyre.
    I'm also running Pirelli AT+ 275/55/20 on my Amarok Extreme....also an amazing tyre.
    Any chance you remember what you paid per tyre?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    Sorry to derail, Casper is this with stock suspension and Oem 20 inch wheels on your Amarok? Any rubbing?
    Last edited by sanjayd; 2020/12/04 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjayd View Post
    Sorry to derail, Casper is this with stock suspension and Oem 20 inch wheels on your Amarok? Any rubbing?

I have Achilles dessert hawk H/T 275/45/20 on the touareg. two years and around 45k km and they have about 4mm left

not bad for a +- R 2000 Tyre

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by sanjayd View Post
    I'm also very keen to know - I have the same vehicle and am still agonizing over buying a new set of (18") rims and tyres, or trying to fit a "decent"' off-road tyre on the 20" rims. I do NOT plan any serious rock-crawling or heavy 4x4-ing. Most likely only sand driving...
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.
    Sym 200 scooter 2 x 1, CVT transmission, 4V OHC, 11.4 kW, 15NM
    0-60km/h in about 10s (downhill), Top speed - 100km/h (on a steeper downhill)
    Ground clearance : 125mm on 16-inch rims
    Tare : 134kg, GVM : 250kg (approx), GCM : 250kg (approx), Towing capacity : 0kg
    Best of all : 4L/100km, town driving and pinning it...

Hi NoneKing!

You can fit the Dunlop Grandtrek AT5 as it comes with 100 000KM mileage warranty, so should you not get the warranted mileage, and you adhered to the programme terms, you would get compensated on your next purchase! I have attached the spec sheet for more information. You can also use click2fit to find the perfect tyre for your vehicle. Simply enter your vehicle details, select the tyre you want and your nearest accredited Dunlop dealers get back to you with a quote. - https://www.dunloptyres.co.za/click-2-fit

I hope this information helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quinton De Beer
    Dunlop Community Manager