7 Month Southern/East African Trip – Tanzania - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: 7 Month Southern/East African Trip – Tanzania

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post

Time in Arusha – yes, I can see that this is a good idea. We had service done on our vehicle at Lilongwe (Toyota Malawi) and Dar es Salaam (Toyota Tanzania); they both did a good job for us. Toyota Tanzania has a branch in Arusha.
    It might be an idea to have any major service done in Kenya. Jungle Junction in Nairobi or any of the many major dealerships or 4x4 garages. And then have minor oil changes etc done in Tanzania.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

The official Toyota agents in central Arusha did a lot of work for me and others. They have a very large workshop and are very experienced even with complex work.

The answer is to have a major service where kilometers done warrant it, either Arusha or one of the major Kenyan centers, but be sure to go to official Toyota agencies. Where minor repairs and oil change services are done are less vital, but still look for approved or even better, official agencies. Insist on original Toyota parts and specified oils/lubricants if possible.

I was more than happy for the owner Chris and his team to do less major services and repairs for me at convenient Jungle Junction where you are likely to be staying in Nairobi.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2020/10/23 at 05:01 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

It looks like the "plan" for our trip south is almost complete bar an answer about a possible bypass for Dar. Can I return to our amended trip north?

1. Lakeshore Lodge (4 nights)
    2. Riverside Camp in Sitalike (1 night)
    3. Ikuu Camp in Katavi National Park (2 nights)
    4. Jacobsen's Camp in Kigoma (3 nights)
    5. Orion Tabora (1 night)
    6. Aqua Vitea Resort in Singida (1 night)
    7. Public Campsite #1 in Tarangire National Park (3 nights)
    8. Migombani Campsite in Mto wa Mbu (2 nights)
    9. Endabash Campsite in Manyara National Park (1 night)
    10. Arusha (3 nights)
    11. Simba Campsite in Ngorongoro Crater (2 nights)
    12. Serengeti (6 nights)
    13. Mwanza Yacht Club at Lake Victoria (1 night)
    14. Boma Guesthouse in Biharamulo (1 night)
    15. Via Via Kigali in Kigali (3 nights)

To an extent this follows the places (not order) visited by Stan and spoken about by many others. Are there any potential problems with what we have planned? The trip I am concerned about is the day from Ikuu Camp in Katavi National Park to Jacobsen's Camp in Kigoma, I think this is almost 400kms but have no idea of the road type or conditions. Can anyone please assist?
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Not done the direct route Katavi to Kigoma. I t comes with the reputation of some tough roads, although new roads are being constructed in that area all the time. Hopefully someone again can provide further help about road condition and days needed.

Not towing, I would definitely take that route. See what comes up but perhaps you can email the very helpful and knowledgeable Chris Horsfall, the owner of Lakeshore Lodge for some advice in advance.
    Stanley Weakley.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

When we did the route Kigoma to Katavi in 2014, it was a dirt road, but fine in the dry season. It goes through some beautiful wooded areas. It took us 8 hours.

There has been various chat over the past few years on this forum about Chinese roadworks from Mpanda (near Katavi) north to Kigoma. I don’t know how far they have got on building a new road.

Here is a link to the blog of two South Africans who drove it in October 2019. They don’t really mention the Katavi to Kigoma section so presume that it was nothing to write home about. The section they did talk more about is the route up to the Rwanda border from Kigoma which goes along the Burundi border (which, I understand, you won’t to be doing). Your plan, I think, is to go from Kigoma to Tabora and then on to Tarangire.

behttps://www.followtheaardvark.com/po...ional-park-rwn

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Katavi to Kigoma - in 2017 there was upgrade work going on near Kigoma, the rest of the road was dirt in good condition - a beautiful drive. It took us 9 hours.

I can appreciate the idea that you can become saturated with wildlife, so Akagera may not warrant a visit, however Nyungwe is outstanding for birdlife and the forest is beautiful, so I would seek to include it on the trip.

I haven't heard back from our friend in Dar, and he travels a lot so may not have seen the note. I'll let you know when I hear back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

....I can appreciate the idea that you can become saturated with wildlife, so Akagera may not warrant a visit, however Nyungwe is outstanding for birdlife and the forest is beautiful, so I would seek to include it on the trip.....
    Sound advice in my opinion. It must be wonderful to have this wide range of opinions to influence one's choices. Do not allow information overload to confuse you or slightly conflicting opinions, such is life.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Katavi to Kigoma - in 2017 there was upgrade work going on near Kigoma, the rest of the road was dirt in good condition - a beautiful drive. It took us 9 hours. Thanks, I will contact Chris at Lakeshore for an update.

I can appreciate the idea that you can become saturated with wildlife, so Akagera may not warrant a visit, however Nyungwe is outstanding for birdlife and the forest is beautiful, so I would seek to include it on the trip. I don't want to get too involved in the Rwanda leg of our trip under the Tanzanian post, that will come next week, however suffice to say those thoughts mirror our own, thanks

I haven't heard back from our friend in Dar, and he travels a lot so may not have seen the note. I'll let you know when I hear back. Really look forward to hearing your friends advice, thanks for looking into this matter for me.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Sound advice in my opinion. It must be wonderful to have this wide range of opinions to influence one's choices. Do not allow information overload to confuse you or slightly conflicting opinions, such is life.
    The generosity of people in giving of their time on this forum is absolutely amazing, I tried describing this forum to to an ex-Zimbabwean friend of ours in Australia last night and he too was amazed
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

If you decide not to go to the Selous or the coast, then I suggest you take the central route through Tanzania southbound. That is Arusha-Dodoma-Iringa. This a smooth, new Chinese road with very little traffic. A very comfortable one and a half days drive. Arusha to Dodoma, and then Dodoma to Iringa. There is no camping in Dodoma, but I recommend the New Dodoma Hotel (formerly the old colonial Railway Hotel).

This does not mean you have to miss out on Udzungwa, but it will involve some backtracking. From Iringa, head north-east on the road to Mikumi, and then to Udzungwa. Then back down the same road to Iringa.

I can email you videos of this route if you would like to see them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

PS. This forum works on South African time. So, although sometimes I might be in the “wide awake club” much later than I ought to, it is not as late as you might think! And our clocks go back tonight.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    It looks like the "plan" for our trip south is almost complete bar an answer about a possible bypass for Dar. Can I return to our amended trip north?

1. Lakeshore Lodge (4 nights)
    2. Riverside Camp in Sitalike (1 night)
    3. Ikuu Camp in Katavi National Park (2 nights)
    4. Jacobsen's Camp in Kigoma (3 nights)
    5. Orion Tabora (1 night)
    6. Aqua Vitea Resort in Singida (1 night)
    7. Public Campsite #1 in Tarangire National Park (3 nights)
    8. Migombani Campsite in Mto wa Mbu (2 nights)
    9. Endabash Campsite in Manyara National Park (1 night)
    10. Arusha (3 nights)
    11. Simba Campsite in Ngorongoro Crater (2 nights)
    12. Serengeti (6 nights)
    13. Mwanza Yacht Club at Lake Victoria (1 night)
    14. Boma Guesthouse in Biharamulo (1 night)
    15. Via Via Kigali in Kigali (3 nights)

To an extent this follows the places (not order) visited by Stan and spoken about by many others. Are there any potential problems with what we have planned? The trip I am concerned about is the day from Ikuu Camp in Katavi National Park to Jacobsen's Camp in Kigoma, I think this is almost 400kms but have no idea of the road type or conditions. Can anyone please assist?
    Looking good, John.

I would, however, not bother to trail up the escarpment to Mto wa Mbu after Tarangire as you will be going that way on your way to the Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. I would favour Tarangire-Arusha. Then Arusha-Lake Manyara-Mto wa Mbu-Ngorongoro. But you might want to have a bit of pampering at what sounds like a lovely campsite at Mgombani. Or Tarangire-Manyara-Arusha.

Otherwise the dusty outpost of Mto wa Mbu is nothing to write home about nowadays (unlike the old safari tales of idyllic camps set up at “Mosquito River“). The view from the top of the escarpment down into the Rift Valley and Lake Manyara is quintessential East Africa - very beautiful.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thanks WW, please see my comments below

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    If you decide not to go to the Selous or the coast, then I suggest you take the central route through Tanzania southbound. That is Arusha-Dodoma-Iringa. This a smooth, new Chinese road with very little traffic. A very comfortable one and a half days drive. Arusha to Dodoma, and then Dodoma to Iringa. There is no camping in Dodoma, but I recommend the New Dodoma Hotel (formerly the old colonial Railway Hotel). This sounds like a good alternative if required. We will see how we are going timewise before making a decision. If time allows and there is no easy access around Dar first prize would be a few days on the coast at Peponi, we will not see the coast unless we do Peponi or Kilwa Dreams

This does not mean you have to miss out on Udzungwa, but it will involve some backtracking. From Iringa, head north-east on the road to Mikumi, and then to Udzungwa. Then back down the same road to Iringa. Yes we look forward to the forest and birdlife around Hondo Hondo

I can email you videos of this route if you would like to see them. I would appreciate the videos you refer to, thanks
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Looking good, John.

I would, however, not bother to trail up the escarpment to Mto wa Mbu after Tarangire as you will be going that way on your way to the Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. I would favour Tarangire-Arusha. Then Arusha-Lake Manyara-Mto wa Mbu-Ngorongoro. But you might want to have a bit of pampering at what sounds like a lovely campsite at Mgombani. Or Tarangire-Manyara-Arusha.

Otherwise the dusty outpost of Mto wa Mbu is nothing to write home about nowadays (unlike the old safari tales of idyllic camps set up at “Mosquito River“). The view from the top of the escarpment down into the Rift Valley and Lake Manyara is quintessential East Africa - very beautiful.
    Thanks for pointing that out WW. I hadn't examined the map closely enough. Your suggestion makes more sense, we will do Arusha after Tarangire and then do Mgombani and Enderbash en route to Ngorongoro.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

News from my friend in Dar:

- for the route from A14 to Selous you can go to Morogoro and catch up with a rough road to Selous Direct from Morogoro town - the route will be quite a lot longer but it's the only way to by-pass "Greater Dar "

- if you just want to by-pass the city centre there are some back roads in the outer areas which can be used but they're convoluted and you really need familiarity with those roads to take advantage of them.

My own thought, on reflection, is that if you do want to transit Dar, rather than trying the "rat runs" you may do better simply to plan to arrive at the conurbation in the early evening and head through the city with the intention of staying somewhere on the way out that night. You can probably get through the city in an hour and a half if it's after rush hour.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

News from my friend in Dar:

- for the route from A14 to Selous you can go to Morogoro and catch up with a rough road to Selous Direct from Morogoro town - the route will be quite a lot longer but it's the only way to by-pass "Greater Dar "

- if you just want to by-pass the city centre there are some back roads in the outer areas which can be used but they're convoluted and you really need familiarity with those roads to take advantage of them.

My own thought, on reflection, is that if you do want to transit Dar, rather than trying the "rat runs" you may do better simply to plan to arrive at the conurbation in the early evening and head through the city with the intention of staying somewhere on the way out that night. You can probably get through the city in an hour and a half if it's after rush hour.
    Thanks Alan, appreciate the trouble you have gone to. We will decide closer to the time but at this point in time I suspect we will give Selous and Kilwa Masoko a miss and head for the Tanzanian Coast around Peponi, this would give us an opportunity to lie back and relax for a few days.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

......... I suspect we will give Selous and Kilwa Masoko a miss and head for the Tanzanian Coast around Peponi, this would give us an opportunity to lie back and relax for a few days.
    After the whirlwind of advice and now that the dust has settled, I think this is a sound decision. Just remember that you are free agents and will be travelling totally dependently on your own, dictated only by your own decisions. Keep your options open and continue to research alternate options. You might temporarily decide to team up with other people on the road and thus be able to consider the more intrepid alternatives.

We loved Peponi for a decent coastal relaxation stop. Be sure to order their huge (two) mangrove crab meal with coconut rice and Swahili tomato curry sauce .
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    After the whirlwind of advice and now that the dust has settled, I think this is a sound decision. Just remember that you are free agents and will be travelling totally dependently on your own, dictated only by your own decisions. Keep your options open and continue to research alternate options. You might temporarily decide to team up with other people on the road and thus be able to consider the more intrepid alternatives.

We loved Peponi for a decent coastal relaxation stop. Be sure to order their huge (two) mangrove crab meal with coconut rice and Swahili tomato curry sauce .
    Absolutely agree Stan and we can alter plans at the drop of a hat, there will always be some things that we can't do and some things that we can add. Funny enough I actually invited my former boss, a good friend, to join us for part of the trip earlier today. Peponi has some emotional ties for us, we recently discovered that it once belonged to friends of ours. Will have to pass on the crab, unfortunately both Linda and I have shellfish allergies, last time I ate crab I came within hours of prematurely meeting my maker, Linda though I had mixed my drinks too much and told me my sudden, and violent illness, was of my own making
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Alan, appreciate the trouble you have gone to. We will decide closer to the time but at this point in time I suspect we will give Selous and Kilwa Masoko a miss and head for the Tanzanian Coast around Peponi, this would give us an opportunity to lie back and relax for a few days.
    No trouble - all in service of a great community!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

I did not know you will be towing such a monster beast. I thought you have such off-road trailer where you erect a tent above the kitchen. So reconsider all my suggestions towards the "waterfall" road in northern Zambia. I think your vehicle setup is well over of 2000 kg of tara weight. It means paying 150 $ just for vehicle in all NP in Tanzania. Budget wise (and considering the bad roads) it might be better to look for camping safari from travel agencies in Arusha. We were able to get 5 days in Ngorongoro, Serengeti and Tarangire for 750$ p.p. all inclusive.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast