Water Storage for Camping - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Water Storgae for Camping

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    Is it safe to use Aqua Salveo?
    Not sure I understand this question, but Aqua Salveo is simply a water purification solution, used by the UN in refugee camps etc. Perfectly safe, does nothing to plastic, but could save your life.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Bladder water storage works for me. The big bonus is you don't have the sound of water sloshing around, because the bag just shrinks as water is removed. I'm very sound sensitive so a half-empty tank of water wouldn't work for me on a bouncy track. I imported mine (40 litres) from Oz years ago (food grade PVC), but am considering getting another - might look into the local market this time.
    Fortuner 2014 Epic 4x4
    Maniac mods: front bumper; winch; snorkel; rocksliders; suspension lift
    Gobi-X bashplate
    Frontrunner full roofrack
    NL Dual battery; NL 60litre twin fridge/freezer

I dunno, Im a fan of the 5l bottles. I have a nice area to pack them between the ammo boxes and the fridge, so theyre safe from getting punctured, and generally out of the way.

As the days go by we start to throw the bottles away, so it reduces the clutter that always seems to happen as a camp trip progresses.
    You can also at least easily carry the 5L to the nearest tap to refill as well (unless youre REALLY in the sticks with no access to water??).

You also dont have a tank taking up storage space in the garage.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

I had a look at the Frontrunner bladders. Do you guys carry water in it while driving? Does it not wobble around? Any poking chance? The items are looking quite rugged and not just plastic.

I try hard not to perpetuate the contamination of our rivers and see with plastic water bottles so I have a 70l frontrunner tank in the back of the bakkie with a tap on it. I then decent into a 5l bottle for use inside the tent...

There was a 60l tank for sale in the classified recently..60l is a nice size, not too big and does not take up much space...
    Padraic Berry

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Water Storage for Camping

We have a 44L Frontrunner tank which goes behind the front seats. Works well, although you need to add a hose to get at the water. We used it throughout our last "big trip" - 10 months, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I use the green Pioneer jerry can shape 10l and 20l cans. Never had one leak, spreads the weight, and because the light can't get through, no algae build up. For long trips, a dose of Aqua Salveo in the water (you can get it at Outdoor Warehouse) keeps the water safe for months.
    Edit: And don't ever use one with a tap, they will break and you will lose the water.
    After agonising about water carriage and storage solutions for my setup, I settled on pretty much the above.

The bonus for me is that we have a lot of cleanish running water around, so once my one 10l can is empty, it is designated for grey water use, ie go fill from the river / dam / stream and gets used for dishes, showers etc.

Would not be able to do this with a fixed tank, which means I would have to cart that water with me the whole time.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    Sorted for camping away from the crowds.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flip Marais For This Useful Post:

Use the Addis 15L and the two Frontrunner bladders, no problem at all.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

I have used bladders, Gerry cans, bottles etc. the most convenient are the 5 Lts container. Easy to pour and handle. Can be tucked into small spaces. When in desert conditions we budget 5 Lts per person per day.... easy to hand out the water rations. Buy them from westpack

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Recovery For This Useful Post:

I have happily used Aqua Salveo for a number of years now as a water disinfectant. I did plenty of research on it originally and sought medical opinions as we intended using it on a prolonged trip. We never once had any problems with our water. It is SABS approved as a water disinfectant and widely used by international aid agencies as mentioned.

The active ingredients here are the salts (ions) of some metals, silver being the most active but also zinc and copper that are safe for humans at these very low doses, but deadly to disease causing organisms such as bacteria, fungi, parasites, protozoa and certain viruses. The effectiveness against viruses is not all-encompassing. Silver is widely used medically at trace doses as a disinfectant and is most probably the most widely used ingredient for protecting severe cutaneous burns against infections (Flamazine).

I far prefer it to equally effective Chlorine as it comes in very small containers, easy to carry, as it is used in very small doses (a few drops per liter), and unlike Chlorine is totally tasteless. The disinfecting of water from a few drops lasts for many months. Where water is heavily contaminated and murky it is better to use a more sophisticated purifier containing microfilters (small enough for viruses) and carbon filters (eg Catadyne). We first remove the visual debri and much of the visible cloudiness using a muslin cloth. Remember though that these filters also remove important minerals from water and you will need oral supplements if used for months at a time, otherwise you could have metabolic problems like weak bones.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Remember though that these filters also remove important minerals from water and you will need oral supplements if used for months at a time, otherwise you could have metabolic problems like weak bones.
    Slightly off topic:

For more than 20 years we have been using a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system in the kitchen for our cooking and drinking water. We started using it when a water test indicated that our borehole water had harmful heavy metals. We live on a plot and the borehole is our only source of water.

Stan, you have set me thinking - this means that we most probably might pick up health problems in the future?
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie Malan For This Useful Post:

Precisely what I have on my 130 [28L] but it is detachable, also a 75mm PVC irrigation pipe [48L] surrounds my trailer load rack.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    I once saw an old 4x4 that had a rear bumper made out of quality stainless steel that had a radiator cap and tap fitted to carry drinking water. The bumper ran around the tow hitch ie was not part of two hitch.
    Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Malan View Post
    Slightly off topic:

For more than 20 years we have been using a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system in the kitchen for our cooking and drinking water. We started using it when a water test indicated that our borehole water had harmful heavy metals. We live on a plot and the borehole is our only source of water.

Stan, you have set me thinking - this means that we most probably might pick up health problems in the future?
    Danie, not an expert but if I were you I would seek expert opinions on the use of filtrated water long-term.

Which were the harmful heavy metals? If harmful enough you may just have to stick with the filtered water and take specific mineral supplements.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Danie, not an expert but if I were you I would seek expert opinions on the use of filtrated water long-term.

Which were the harmful heavy metals? If harmful enough you may just have to stick with the filtered water and take specific mineral supplements.
    Stan, if one uses a portable reverse osmosis unit and one does not have a mineral block (if that is the correct term to put back into the water what the osmosis filter blocks ie minerals etc) Surly eating a healthy diet ie veg, meat etc whilst camping will compensate for the water mineral losses or taking a multivitamin tablet will sort out any long term medical problems ie weak bones etc etc. Asking from your back ground experience. Txs
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

There are mineral cartridges for these reverse osmosis systems to enrichen the water with the "good" minerals.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Danie Malan View Post
    Slightly off topic:

The answer is yes because a standard RO machine water is acidic you can research this fact and what the side effects are.
    Pure pro has a green colored alkaline filter that makes the water alkaline which is more healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    Hi All.Yes this has been discussed many times in the past, but the more I read the more confused I become. Hence this post.Our camping trips last maximum for 7 days (rare), mostly 4 days. Currently we make our car full of 5 liter bottles, plenty of them.It's very inconvenient and risky, matter of time one the bottles cracks and floods the inside of my car.Therefore my quest to to find a solution.Are plastic jerry cans any good? I know Addis is known for leaks and all that, but what about the Frontrunner/Pioneer/Ironman/Safari (ODW) ones, with or without tap?Or should I get one of those 50 or 60 liter tanks that sits behind the rear sits etc? Anyone any drawback?If I have to go jerry can route, I am confused between metal vs plastic! What are your experiences?What are your water storage solutions?
    My Companion vat 150lt en dan ry ek nog 70 lt saam in plastiese jerry kan-like kanne, dit is genoeg vir n hele paar dae se stort en drink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2