Water Storage for Camping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Water Storage for Camping

Hi All.

Yes this has been discussed many times in the past, but the more I read the more confused I become. Hence this post.

Our camping trips last maximum for 7 days (rare), mostly 4 days. Currently we make our car full of 5 liter bottles, plenty of them.
    It's very inconvenient and risky, matter of time one the bottles cracks and floods the inside of my car.

Therefore my quest to to find a solution.

Are plastic jerry cans any good? I know Addis is known for leaks and all that, but what about the Frontrunner/Pioneer/Ironman/Safari (ODW) ones, with or without tap?

Or should I get one of those 50 or 60 liter tanks that sits behind the rear sits etc? Anyone any drawback?

If I have to go jerry can route, I am confused between metal vs plastic! What are your experiences?

What are your water storage solutions?

Default Re: Water Storgae for Camping

I use the green Pioneer jerry can shape 10l and 20l cans. Never had one leak, spreads the weight, and because the light can't get through, no algae build up. For long trips, a dose of Aqua Salveo in the water (you can get it at Outdoor Warehouse) keeps the water safe for months.
    Edit: And don't ever use one with a tap, they will break and you will lose the water.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2020/10/19 at 02:41 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

I have been using the blue 15 l Addis cans without a problem for water. They don't leak if you use the lid with the spout pointing into the can. There has been a series which did leak, but I believe they have been swapped for proper ones. And I have stored water for several months in them and it is usable, without tasting of pvc or anything else. Just fill them directly from the tap and not from the gardenhose as the hose would make the water taste bad.

Those water tanks are a good solution, too. There is a rear footwell tank available, too. I think it's from Frontrunner.

I like the 15 l cans from Addis as they are easy to handle, the 20 l Jerry metal Jerry cans and the 25 l cans can become heavy to handle.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I use the green Pioneer jerry can shape 10l and 20l cans.
    Edit: And don't ever use one with a tap, they will break and you will lose the water.
    This ^^^^

For us the the 20L plastic cans serve the additional purpose in that we put them in the sun to heat up our shower water when camping where there are no ablutions . Obviously it has to spend a good few hours in the sun.

We have 4 plastic ones and 2 blue metal jerry can type, neither the plastic or the metal one's ever leaked.

Edit: we prefer the cans as they can easily be taken out of the vehicle and carried to any tap or water source. Easy to properly clean at home in case any 'dodgy' water was stored in them.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/10/19 at 03:09 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    Hi All.

Yes this has been discussed many times in the past, but the more I read the more confused I become. Hence this post.

Our camping trips last maximum for 7 days (rare), mostly 4 days. Currently we make our car full of 5 liter bottles, plenty of them.
    It's very inconvenient and risky, matter of time one the bottles cracks and floods the inside of my car.

Are plastic jerry cans any good? I know Addis is known for leaks and all that, but what about the Frontrunner/Pioneer/Ironman/Safari (ODW) ones, with or without tap?

Or should I get one of those 50 or 60 liter tanks that sits behind the rear sits etc? Anyone any drawback?

If I have to go jerry can route, I am confused between metal vs plastic! What are your experiences?

I have gone for the 60l Frontrunner tank and no problems with leakages except for the pressure screw in the cap which has a very slight leak when driving on corrugations or heavily undulating tracks. As for the Addis plastic jerry cans they have an inherent fault where the spout meets the cap. This because of a poor finish to the seams on the spout and a quick file down of this seam solves the problem.

I use the 45L Front Runner tank on my roof rack. It works fine for me. However, the lady friend complains that the tap is a little high for her to reach.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

We recently started using 5l Addis containers from Westpack. The nice thing is that the tap and handle are mounted at the top so when stored even if the tap falls right off you won't lose water.

The 5L container is also easier for Swambo to handle and they can be squeezed into various gaps which a big 15-25l jerry can would not fit into.

The plastic is hard and very strong

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    This ^^^^

For us the the 20L plastic cans serve the additional purpose in that we put them in the sun to heat up our shower water when camping where there are no ablutions . Obviously it has to spend a good few hours in the sun.

We have 4 plastic ones and 2 blue metal jerry can type, neither the plastic or the metal one's ever leaked.

Edit: we prefer the cans as they can easily be taken out of the vehicle and carried to any tap or water source. Easy to properly clean at home in case any 'dodgy' water was stored in them.
    Between plastic and metal, which one do you prefer?

Any plasticy taste in the plastic ones? Or painty taste in the metal ones?

Is metal one ProQuip? Do you get the right size spout for the metal ones?

Taste You are not suggesting that anybody carts water around whilst camping for drinking ?

Seriously - I use water for washing up, washing and coffee in the mornings... I always make sure I have enough canned, brown, sparkling "mineral water" to drink...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Plastic ones are fine - give them a good rinse before using with some bicarb and then only fill them direct from the tap, not from the hosepipe, as mentioned by Lekhubu. After a month on the road, they will develop a plastic taste, but you have said you only do short trips.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

They are much of a muchness, but I think I prefer the plastic. The metal one's are Proquip, we don't have use for a spout for them so never bought one.

To honest I cannot remember a plastic taste. But in recent years we use bottled water for drinking or water from the caravan's tank.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I just buy those white 20ltr plastic bottles from the purified water outlets. My folks do the same but have gone modern by buying one of those fuel siphon hoses that you shake up and down to get the fuel through, but use it for water and fitted a tap to the end. So once water flows, you shut off tape when water needed, open tap.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone.

Any experiences with the ODW ones? Safari 20 liter or something? They are good priced as compared to FR. They seem all Pioneer made.
    Last edited by Teryos; 2020/10/20 at 09:55 AM.

Default Water Storgae for Camping

ODW, Makro, Frontrunner all produced by Pioneer Plastics AFAIK.

I bought the 10l green pioneer plastic ones from Makro, think they were best priced at the time.

Off topic for you as you donít have a Hilux, but three 10l fit in the gap behind the rear seat of the Hilux Vigo double cab with the fold down seat back mod
    Last edited by tkk; 2020/10/20 at 07:47 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tkk For This Useful Post:

We have 2 15 l blue plastic Addis. We take one or two depending where we go. Normally one is enough. In addition one 5 l plastic. That 15 l is too heavy to use all the time. Addis do not leak if upright. As I drink black tea without anything poor water is no good. Basically that 15 l is to get to a camp where there is usable water for tea. Xplorer has 100 l for other purposes.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Puik draad het ook die problem met water waar en hoeveel

Hi All.

Mineral water in its plastic for drinking purposes. Otherwise a 5, 10 or even 20 liter plastic container for general purposes.
    My caravan is equipped with a 20 liter plastic container with an automatic water pump. Is it safe to use Aqua Salveo?

I once saw an old 4x4 that had a rear bumper made out of quality stainless steel that had a radiator cap and tap fitted to carry drinking water. The bumper ran around the tow hitch ie was not part of two hitch.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I went for the Frontrunner footwell tank. Moving 40 liters from the roof to the chassis makes a big difference in terms of body roll when already heavily laden on long trips; and having it centred between the axles obviates the tail happy handling if you load your boot with containers instead.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...YaAqp9EALw_wcB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to !Xoo For This Useful Post:

We use a 60L plastic tank in the back of the bakkie, plus 3 x 27L water bladders from Front Runner and this is usually good for 2 of us for drinking/washing/showering(5L x 6 times), etc for 12 days away in CKGR or the like (140L).

Use them first and when empty they fold up small and flat taking up very little space. The plastic liner inside the canvas bag gets brittle after 3-4 years but are cheap to replace. These bladder bags are also convenient to hang off a branch in camp so provides easy access.

Been doing it this way for the last 15 years, works well for us.
    Ford Ranger XLS 4x4 D/C 2.2 Auto, Mazda CX-5 Akera, 2018 Honda Africa Twin DCT, 2019 Trent (Rear Fold Hard Floor Camper).
    Drone Consultant & Pilot Instructor, ex-Nature Site Guide (VPDA)[NQF6]

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pardus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast