Urgent. Key locked in GV. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Urgent. Key locked in GV.

Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    How?
    Thank heavens, there's two of us
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    I'm feeling outnumbered
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

My wife’s swift won’t lock if the key is in the car
    Same with the gv. It does not lock.
    Maybe your remote battery was flat that the gv could not pick up the key in the gv?

But glad you came right.
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

I also need to know how.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I also need to know how.
    We need to form a group ?

However, I did have an Austen in '68 that could be locked by pushing the knoppie down when closing the door. Had the Xl model with string operated indicator arms

Ford Figo 2016

What you do is........
    Go ride your mountain bike around a nature reserve wearing a hydration pack/backpack where you put your key. When finished you take the key out and unlock the car but only open the rear door to load your bike. You then, and this is where the problem starts, put your key down in the car instead of in your pocket. You load the bike and close the door.
    Now...the GV being a clever car has already locked the doors since you didn't open the drivers door so when you close the rear door it is basically already locked and since it knows the key is inside it will not unlock without the remote or key.
    Proceed to coffee kombi and order an iced cappuccino and Devine carrot cake while you call your insurance to send a locksmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kippie2 For This Useful Post:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Locked-itself

Make sure your rear door switch is not faulty. This seems to cause this problem and is quite common on the GV (I was a victim too).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nomie2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kippie2 View Post
    What you do is........
    Go ride your mountain bike around a nature reserve wearing a hydration pack/backpack where you put your key. When finished you take the key out and unlock the car but only open the rear door to load your bike. You then, and this is where the problem starts, put your key down in the car instead of in your pocket. You load the bike and close the door.
    Now...the GV being a clever car has already locked the doors since you didn't open the drivers door so when you close the rear door it is basically already locked and since it knows the key is inside it will not unlock without the remote or key.
    Proceed to coffee kombi and order an iced cappuccino and Devine carrot cake while you call your insurance to send a locksmith.
    Something isn't quite right here...

My Swift Sport has the same keyless system as your GV, as far as I know. As you would know, in order to unlock all the doors, you need to press the button on the driver/passenger-side front door handle once (which only unlocks either the driver/passenger-side front door) and then again to unlock all of the remaining doors. So two presses of the button to unlock all the doors.

After opening any of the doors after having pressed the handle button twice, all the doors remain unlocked. If you then close any of the doors, none of the doors will lock automatically. If the key remains in the car and you close any of the doors, none of the doors automatically lock. Even if you try to lock all the doors by pressing the button on the driver/passenger-side front door handle once, none of the doors will lock because the car recognises that the key is still inside.

I suspect that either your wireless key, your lock system or your keyless system is malfunctioning. As it's a safety hazard (and your insurer won't pay out any claims if there's no forced entry into your car if a thief tries to take something inside it), I suggest you get it checked ASAP.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenton For This Useful Post:

You load the bike and close the door.
    Lol, yes it is entirely possible to lock your keys in the car with my hubby's C class Merc as well. There is a button on the remote that will only pop the boot open, but the doors stay locked. So put your keys down in the boot, close the boot lid, done. Keys locked in the boot.

The (dumb) Fortuner unlocks all the doors when you only open the boot with either the remote or by pushing the 2 buttons on the rear door. Doors stay unlocked until the operator locks them again.

But thanks, good reminder of this service offered by Tuffstuff.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by nomie2 View Post
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Locked-itself

Make sure your rear door switch is not faulty. This seems to cause this problem and is quite common on the GV (I was a victim too).
    Yup - I have had the same issue - at the golf clun in Vereeneging, my wife had to drive from Benoni with the spare keys - lets just say she was extremely understanding......

For some reason the vehicle does not recognise the boot area as part of the car - not sure if its a faulty sensor, or a design flaw.....

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

You must check your rear door switch.
    You know when you unlock the door but you don’t open it. After 30sec the gv locks itself. Now I realized this with unlocking the rear door opening it and after 30sec the gv locks. “So I saw if I open up my rear door no interior lights come on. So then I knew it is a faulty switch.
    I cleaned it and fixed it. All works well now.

What you can do as well is when you unlock your gv. Open one of the back seat doors. Then you know the gv won’t lock itself.
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

What you do is........
    As mentioned by others, make sure you rear door switch isn't faulty.

If my GV did this I would have been sitting with the same issue many times before. On quite a few occasions after bike rides I have driven off just to realise, when the car starts screaming at me, that my key is still in my hydration pack in the boot.
    Reder van der Merwe

2011 Suzuki GV 2.4 M

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer244 View Post
    You must check your rear door switch.
    You know when you unlock the door but you don’t open it. After 30sec the gv locks itself. Now I realized this with unlocking the rear door opening it and after 30sec the gv locks. “So I saw if I open up my rear door no interior lights come on. So then I knew it is a faulty switch.
    I cleaned it and fixed it. All works well now.

What you can do as well is when you unlock your gv. Open one of the back seat doors. Then you know the gv won’t lock itself.
    As Mr Cruzer correctly stated - faulty door contact is the culprit more often than not. They do more than just turn your interior light on - they are connected to the BCM module - if the GV is unlocked and no change in door contact is picked up by the BCM , it automatically re-locks itself for security. If a door sensor is faulty, and your keys are inside, GV is locked and you are in ###.

Easy test, open each door in turn and see if the interior light comes on - if one does not trigger the light, that one is the cuplrit.

The reason the doors will not open even if the keys are inside is due to the antenna design for the keyless entry - it works 180 degrees around the handle for about 80 cm externally only , and does not pick up the keys inside the car at all. It would be pretty bad if you were sitting in your car and somebody opened it by pressing the button on the door handle .....

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

18. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

It does, but somehow it knows the key is inside and will not unlock.
    Next time check where the key is hiding.

Fortunately not one of our current vehicles will lock without the key in your hand.

Our Hilux and Hardbody did.
    Marinda knew how to open the Hilux with a piece of wire and she had to do that a few times.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Danie S View Post
    Next time check where the key is hiding.

Fortunately not one of our current vehicles will lock without the key in your hand.

Our Hilux and Hardbody did.
    Marinda knew how to open the Hilux with a piece of wire and she had to do that a few times.
    I am normally very careful with the key but a certain brunette distracted me.

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    As Mr Cruzer correctly stated - faulty door contact is the culprit more often than not. They do more than just turn your interior light on - they are connected to the BCM module - if the GV is unlocked and no change in door contact is picked up by the BCM , it automatically re-locks itself for security. If a door sensor is faulty, and your keys are inside, GV is locked and you are in ###.

Easy test, open each door in turn and see if the interior light comes on - if one does not trigger the light, that one is the cuplrit.

The reason the doors will not open even if the keys are inside is due to the antenna design for the keyless entry - it works 180 degrees around the handle for about 80 cm externally only , and does not pick up the keys inside the car at all. It would be pretty bad if you were sitting in your car and somebody opened it by pressing the button on the door handle .....
    Strangely the rear switch seems to be working perfectly.

Strangely the rear switch seems to be working perfectly.
    Yesterday had a check on the Fiesta.
    The rear (5th) door can be unlocked with the key on its own while the 4 doors stay locked.
    When you close it, it locks again.
    Should the key be in the back you are locked out.

Took the Ranger for 150 000 service this morning and had a look at the Figo and EcoSport they both have the feature to unlock rear door and when you close it it locks.
    When doing the rear door unlock the doors stay locked.

So be careful, there are more vehicles with the same nasty habit.

Love the story that you were distracted, it happens to me as well.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Too late to go fiddling with my Figo...
    Will check at dawn

Ford Figo 2016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2