Question Toyota Fortuner suspension upgrade - Bilstein,OME,Fox

Hi everyone,

Just as a first note, I have gone through just about every thread/video/article regarding suspensions options available on the market however I am still completely confused. There is also not a whole lot of recent threads on this issue.

Looking for some advice on changing the suspension on a 2011 Fortuner 4x4 D4D. The current stock suspension is feeling tired and I am busy adding quiet a bit of weight to the car (roof rack, fridge and storage system, awning, dual battery, front bumper..). The car will mainly be used for long camping trips where traveling will potentially be done over long dirt/gravel roads with fair amount of corrugation. I would say 50/50 on-road vs off road driving would be a good split to work with.

I have, for the most part, reduced the options to the following three:
    • Bilstein B8 5100's with Mikem springs
    • Old Man Emu nitrocharger sport 200kg constant weight kit (+25% cost over the Bilstein)
    • Fox 2.0 snap rings with eibach springs (+25% cost over the OME)

Just wanted some opinions on these choices with regards to; past and current experiences, performance, the cost differences between the options and if it is worth bumping up to the next option, or even any options that I may have completely missed (if you would like to confuse me even more). None of these choices are a small cost so I want to make sure I make the right choice the first time.

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks.

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner suspension upgrade - Bilstein,OME,Fox

I know I can't compare the two but I have fox in my hilux and tough dog in my land cruiser 105. The one vehicle has leaf springs and the other coils. The fox made a huge difference to the bakkies ride but the tough dog transformed the cruiser and it is also being used 50/50.

I would strongly recommend adding tough dog to your list
    Chat to norman from econo lift suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan09 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just as a first note, I have gone through just about every thread/video/article regarding suspensions options available on the market however I am still completely confused. There is also not a whole lot of recent threads on this issue.

Looking for some advice on changing the suspension on a 2011 Fortuner 4x4 D4D. The current stock suspension is feeling tired and I am busy adding quiet a bit of weight to the car (roof rack, fridge and storage system, awning, dual battery, front bumper..). The car will mainly be used for long camping trips where traveling will potentially be done over long dirt/gravel roads with fair amount of corrugation. I would say 50/50 on-road vs off road driving would be a good split to work with.

I have, for the most part, reduced the options to the following three:
    • Bilstein B8 5100's with Mikem springs
    • Old Man Emu nitrocharger sport 200kg constant weight kit (+25% cost over the Bilstein)
    • Fox 2.0 snap rings with eibach springs (+25% cost over the OME)

Just wanted some opinions on these choices with regards to; past and current experiences, performance, the cost differences between the options and if it is worth bumping up to the next option, or even any options that I may have completely missed (if you would like to confuse me even more). None of these choices are a small cost so I want to make sure I make the right choice the first time.

Any and all input is welcome. Thanks.

I know they are not on your list, but I have Amada Xtreme coils and shocks and I am really happy with them. They are also cheaper than all 3 options listed - R12k IIRC.
    Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

Investigate EFS as well.

I have had many 4x4's and all of them with aftermarket suspension of various makes. Excluding Fox which I know is a super system, albeit expensive, I rate OME the best value for money as well as comfortable ride.

From local supply I rate OME 1st and Dobinsons 2nd.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

I can't compare comfort but I must say I have had 12 plus 4wd's all with old man emu over the years. Some made a big difference some didn't. What I can say is I never had a shock failure, suspension sag or break. Vehicles have most been on farm roads daily, all towed and many of them did some trails and overloading. Fortuner will get OME fitted next week or so as well. I have just stuck to OME since I hear from a lot of people with other brands complain about a leaking or blown shock here and there. My 2c
    Last edited by Bryan Webber; 2020/10/13 at 05:30 PM.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd
    '19 Fortuner 2.8 Auto 4wd

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryan Webber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael11 View Post
    I know I can't compare the two but I have fox in my hilux and tough dog in my land cruiser 105. The one vehicle has leaf springs and the other coils. The fox made a huge difference to the bakkies ride but the tough dog transformed the cruiser and it is also being used 50/50.

I would strongly recommend adding tough dog to your list
    Chat to norman from econo lift suspension.
    After months of research, I did a full Tough Dog upgrade on the Hilux and having an easy 9 stage adjustment on the shocks to accommodate load variances, has completely transformed the ride over stock. Would definitely agree and recommend you add TD to your list.
    2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 3.0 D-4D Melville and Moon seat covers, Gobi-X rock-sliders, Maniac4x4 front bumper, Safari snorkel, Rhinocab canopy, 2" Tough Dog Suspension with 40mm Adjustable shocks, Maxxis AT811s, Gobi-X rear bumper.
    2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD sold 2" Zone coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola cargo carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac4x4 front bumper.
    BMW F30 320i M-Sport - daily drive

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wtrlan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    I have had many 4x4's and all of them with aftermarket suspension of various makes. Excluding Fox which I know is a super system, albeit expensive, I rate OME the best value for money as well as comfortable ride.

From local supply I rate OME 1st and Dobinsons 2nd.
    Couldn't agree more.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

Quote Originally Posted by wtrlan View Post
    After months of research, I did a full Tough Dog upgrade on the Hilux and having an easy 9 stage adjustment on the shocks to accommodate load variances, has completely transformed the ride over stock. Would definitely agree and recommend you add TD to your list.
    A very comprehensive shock comparison done by the Auzzies, admittedly does not include all major brands, but makes for interesting reading to some. 4WDAction-Issue-165-Shock-Comparo-1.pdf
    2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 3.0 D-4D Melville and Moon seat covers, Gobi-X rock-sliders, Maniac4x4 front bumper, Safari snorkel, Rhinocab canopy, 2" Tough Dog Suspension with 40mm Adjustable shocks, Maxxis AT811s, Gobi-X rear bumper.
    2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD sold 2" Zone coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola cargo carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac4x4 front bumper.
    BMW F30 320i M-Sport - daily drive

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wtrlan For This Useful Post:

You can also try Terrain Tamers (from Australia). They have just opened a new warehouse in Cape Town. You can contact Marinus Potgieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    I know they are not on your list, but I have Amada Xtreme coils and shocks and I am really happy with them. They are also cheaper than all 3 options listed - R12k IIRC.
    I have them to and quite happy. 5 years now. Importer is also a great guy who cares about the product.

BTW, I run a 2006 Fortuner, so similar characteristics. Importer also ran Amadas on his Fortuner and it felt great too
    Last edited by bobscratchit; 2020/10/14 at 03:27 PM. Reason: more info

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bobscratchit For This Useful Post:

I have owned/driven cars with all of the shocks that you list, and then some.

In my opinion, bilstein b8's are super underrated.

They are inexpensive, rebuildable, last a long time and can have a brilliant ride if tuned right.
    Ask Mikem suspensions, they can do a custom valved shock to suit your need. They know vehicle dynamics very well, and it will probably still be the cheapest option.

ToughDog also needs an honourable mention according to the people I have spoken to, Francois from Voetspore rated them very highly compared to the other ones they have run on their cars, but I have not driven a car with ToughDogs yet.

PS. I am in no way affiliated with anyone I mention.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyclone101 For This Useful Post: