Advice - damaraland - desolation valley and Doros crater

Default Advice - damaraland - desolation valley and Doros crater

Good day everyone!

i am planning my January 2022 trip to Namibia and some parts pose problems planning wise..

one stretch after Etosha will be from Grootberg to Twyfelfontein. As I obviously donít want to stay only on tarred roads I would like to check out Desolation valley and/or divorce pass and/or Doros crater ...

is it possible starting early morning in Grootberg lodge then Bergsig, Fonteine, Slangpos, desolation valley, gai as fountain, rhino Ugab, divorce pass, Doros crater, and to arrive in the evening at Mowani camp ?

i do not realize the distances and the necessary time to travel... same for the trails: sand or gravel?

thanks for your help

Default Re: Advice - damaraland - desolation valley and Doros crater

We did a similar reverse trip - Mowani, Aba-Huab river to Slangpos, Fonteine, Bergsig and on to Khowarib - and this took the better part of a full day. What you propose may be possible but you will be going through an amazing area and don't feel one day will do it justice
    2020 Toyota FJ Cruiser

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mike morrison For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the quick answer! Of course I know it may be a bit of a rush through.... but there are sooo many things to see !

additional question: is the river section usually drivable during January? Or does it still depend on how much rain will fall ?

could you please share your waypoints ?

i am based on T4A...

thanks

Stay right out of the river beds in January - they may be driveable where you are, but a rain storm many kilometres away upstream can cause a flash flood and you won't even know it happened until the water hits you. And be prepared for extreme heat in January - 40degC plus is the norm once you are away from the coastal fog belt area.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Agree with Tony, do not drive long distance in the riverbeds in January. You can cross a river if its dry, like at Ugab Rhino. From there you can go via the old mine to the crossing and short stint along the river to Divorce Pass.
    The whole trip is 285km, and an 11 hour drive according to T4A. I would break it at Ugab Rhino.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poisell View Post
    Thanks for the quick answer! Of course I know it may be a bit of a rush through.... but there are sooo many things to see !

additional question: is the river section usually drivable during January? Or does it still depend on how much rain will fall ?

could you please share your waypoints ?

i am based on T4A...

thanks
    January is certainly NOT the time to drive in river beds. Unless you would know for sure there is no chance of rain upstream, you might get a nasty surprise, as Tony said.
    Crossing a dry river bed is fine.
    Google "Divorce Pass" and "Desolation Valley". Among the results will be threads on this forum giving you a bit of information about both.
    Have a look at this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1e...ChkhGAYGGijNCA
    There are videos on both.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all of you!
    that also answers another question concerning my car rental : Landcruiser 79 or Hilux 3.0 automatic