Pool pump, and computer standby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pool pump, and computer standby

Gentlemen, from someone who does not speak electrical, please help.

We are looking at running a pool pump (750 watt) off solar panels. So I get a quote for a 6.8KVA inverter, 6 x 360 watt panels and 4 x 250Ah batteries. R 50 000 with small change.

Overkill? I think so. Even if the pump pulls twice the rated power at startup it wiill only need a 1.5Kw inverter, not so? Running a 750 watt 220 volt motor should take about 50 watt panels at 12 volt, not so? Or is my math suspect?

I understand there has to be a battery in the system, and the idea would be, when Eskom goes on strike, to use the battery to run computers. (The wife has a telecommuting possibility) Am I right that say 500 watt computer, two screens, WiFi box would run for four hours off a 100 a/h battery without murdering it?

Or is it going to be cheaper to buy a small gennie?

Default Re: Pool pump, and computer standby

Computer standby I understand, and would not be expensive to put in place to cover (say) 4 hours of continued computer operation.
    Computers and related peripherals are important in our lives these days.

But backup power for pool pump ? Why ?
    Just asking - maybe you have a critical need for the pool pump to keep running ?
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Computer standby I understand, and would not be expensive to put in place to cover (say) 4 hours of continued computer operation.
    Computers and related peripherals are important in our lives these days.

But backup power for pool pump ? Why ?
    Just asking - maybe you have a critical need for the pool pump to keep running ?
    I don't think it's about backup power for the pool pump, but rather removing pool pump from house electricity.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Do you want :

1) pool pump during sunlight only?
    2) pool pump during sunlight and at night?
    3) pool pump during sunlight and at night and with access to grid power?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    I don't think it's about backup power for the pool pump, but rather removing pool pump from house electricity.
    does not make financial sense to take just your pool pump off grid, payback period is just too long.

The only scenario that makes sense if you are already taking your house off grid (even partially) and then use the pool pump to consume excess power during peak sunlight if consumption is low and the batteries are full.
    Last edited by mullerza; 2020/10/06 at 03:23 PM.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    does not make financial sense to take just your pool pump off grid, payback period is just too long.

The only scenario that makes sense if you are already taking your house off grid (even partially) and then use the pool pump to consume excess power during peak sunlight if consumption is low and the batteries are full.
    Agreed, but that is what I can infer from the OP. I mean, why would you want to have a backup system for just your pool pump, unless if it is perhaps a lodge, or something like that, but still, makes little sense to me.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by coenvanwyk View Post
    Gentlemen, from someone who does not speak electrical, please help.

We are looking at running a pool pump (750 watt) off solar panels. So I get a quote for a 6.8KVA inverter, 6 x 360 watt panels and 4 x 250Ah batteries. R 50 000 with small change.

Overkill? I think so. Even if the pump pulls twice the rated power at startup it wiill only need a 1.5Kw inverter, not so? Running a 750 watt 220 volt motor should take about 50 watt panels at 12 volt, not so? Or is my math suspect?

I understand there has to be a battery in the system, and the idea would be, when Eskom goes on strike, to use the battery to run computers. (The wife has a telecommuting possibility) Am I right that say 500 watt computer, two screens, WiFi box would run for four hours off a 100 a/h battery without murdering it?

Or is it going to be cheaper to buy a small gennie?
    I find the cost pie in the sky for what you want to achive. Get a Solis grid tied inverter for below R4000 2nd hand. Buy 3 x 330W soalr panels at R4800 and when there is sun and Eskom you can save the whole load of the pump. When the pump is off it can run any other 750W load. Early mornings don't run the pump of if foul weather like now. No worries about start up current as for the second or 2 you just draw the high current from the grid.

If back up is needed then you just get a UPS or inverter via a 100Ah battery for LS. R5000 max needed for this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Thanks, guys. Most useful comments. So, to clear up: What would it cost to take the pump load off ESKOM and on to a solar setup? I note that it might not be economical, at present electricity tariffs. So pool pump, as and when the sun shines: how many panels are needed?

Second: A UPS can provide power for maybe ten minutes. If your salary depends on being online that does not make much sense. So we need at least four hours capacity for the computer and peripherals. I would go for grid tied system if payback from Eskom/city council makes it worth while, as far as I know this is not the case.

SOLIS was mentioned, does anyone have a source and ideas of price?

Thanks again!

Coen

Why not set up a wind pump to pump water through sand filter and eliminate the electric motor.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Why not set up a wind pump to pump water through sand filter and eliminate the electric motor.
    Great idea if in a place with plenty wind like the Cape Peninsula or Karoo. There would be a minimum pressure required for the centrifugal pump to overcome the sand filter though, so places like Pretoria with little wind where Coen is from might prove problematic.

May I ask what the cost was per 250ah battery and what batteries are they?
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by coenvanwyk View Post
    Running a 750 watt 220 volt motor should take about 50 watt panels at 12 volt, not so? Or is my math suspect?
    A 50W panel can provide about 250Wh per day. Only enough to run the pump for 15min. Surely you need a lot more solar.

Surely a 750w pump needs at least 750w of panels?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Surely a 750w pump needs at least 750w of panels?
    Not always. If you were prepared to charge batteries for hours to be able to run the pump a short period. Not a good idea.
    That's why I suggested 3 x 330W panels as it should in the peak sun hours provide about 820W in Gauteng.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    May I ask what the cost was per 250ah battery and what batteries are they?
    The quote reads 150A - 285AP ST gel C10 SCH SOL DEEPC at R 4980 each. Probably some really professional and long lasting stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to coenvanwyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Not always. If you were prepared to charge batteries for hours to be able to run the pump a short period. Not a good idea.
    That's why I suggested 3 x 330W panels as it should in the peak sun hours provide about 820W in Gauteng.
    So 820 Watt in solar panel capacity is equivalent to 750 watt plus change on 220 volt for the pump? Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Great idea if in a place with plenty wind like the Cape Peninsula or Karoo. There would be a minimum pressure required for the centrifugal pump to overcome the sand filter though, so places like Pretoria with little wind where Coen is from might prove problematic.
    Aah OK, see your point... So a bicycle connected to a generator with wife peddling would be out. Only suggestion is a generator since reading posts, going solar would be extremely expensive only to run pool pump for a few minutes before batteries are flat.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Re pool pump and solar, I wonder if something like this would not be a better/ more cost effective solution:

https://www.takealot.com/mipower-tss...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

or

https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/produc...RoC4pIQAvD_BwE

Basically a 48V DC pump running directly off the output from the solar panels (2-3 panels in series via MPPT).

NB. I have no firsthand experience with this technology or with these pumps in specific, but I have seen solar pool pumps being used effectively at some of the more remote Sanparks accommodations.
    I wonder if this kind of solution would provide enough suction to drive a pool cleaner?

Might be another option worth investigating?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Aah OK, see your point... So a bicycle connected to a generator with wife peddling would be out. Only suggestion is a generator since reading posts, going solar would be extremely expensive only to run pool pump for a few minutes before batteries are flat.
    Less than R11 000 (panels and inverter) I would not term extremely expensive to run the pump on the 250+ days with sunshine and even another 70 days where you still get enough PV to run the pump say 1 or 2 hours.

Then the PV equipment could work for many years with no further cost.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ralf View Post
    Re pool pump and solar, I wonder if something like this would not be a better/ more cost effective solution:

https://www.takealot.com/mipower-tss...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

or

https://shop.thesunpays.co.za/produc...RoC4pIQAvD_BwE

Basically a 48V DC pump running directly off the output from the solar panels (2-3 panels in series via MPPT).

NB. I have no firsthand experience with this technology or with these pumps in specific, but I have seen solar pool pumps being used effectively at some of the more remote Sanparks accommodations.
    I wonder if this kind of solution would provide enough suction to drive a pool cleaner?

Might be another option worth investigating?
    those links are definitely not a cost effective way, rather invest in a chinese grid tie inverter with a large enough battery
    Last edited by Willem01; 2020/10/07 at 03:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast