Default Prado 4.0 head blown?

I have just bought a 2006 prado. Head was redone 25000km ago on about 295k km.
    I have had it for 1 week. Private buy so no comeback to dealer.
    Temp guage stays constant mid guage.doesnt show overheating. Longest i have driven been 100km and went fine no temp guage spike.
    No water was used. This am when cleaning it i noticed a drip of rusty water under the car. I filled radiator took about 1l and overflow tank was empty.
    After driving about 10km today i could smell the hot engine smell. When looking i noticed an oil drip on the lh exhaust as it drops from the manifold. It is at the rear of rhe engine. There is a similar drip on rhs same place but hasnt dripped onto the exhaust yet.
    Is this the head that has blown. Oil in the engine is clean as was serviced 400km ago. No water. Radiator had a bit of a rusty sludge on the cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201004_122804.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	590980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201004_122729.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	590981  

Default Re: Prado 4.0 head blown?

Quote Originally Posted by adamgweba View Post
    I have just bought a 2006 prado. Head was redone 25000km ago on about 295k km.
    I have had it for 1 week. Private buy so no comeback to dealer.
    Temp guage stays constant mid guage.doesnt show overheating. Longest i have driven been 100km and went fine no temp guage spike.
    No water was used. This am when cleaning it i noticed a drip of rusty water under the car. I filled radiator took about 1l and overflow tank was empty.
    After driving about 10km today i could smell the hot engine smell. When looking i noticed an oil drip on the lh exhaust as it drops from the manifold. It is at the rear of rhe engine. There is a similar drip on rhs same place but hasnt dripped onto the exhaust yet.
    Is this the head that has blown. Oil in the engine is clean as was serviced 400km ago. No water. Radiator had a bit of a rusty sludge on the cap.
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    This to me sounds that you were sold a car that the seller was fully aware of the problem.

2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

You didn't mention what engine it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    You didn't mention what engine it was.
    It will be the V6.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Yes. 4.0 petrol.

Have a block test done, diagnostic fluid in a special tool onto radiator, fluid changes color then you have a combustion leak.

Bit of a follow up. I replaced the water pump and thermostat. Water pump had a bit of a leak. Used it on thursday to towmy echo 3 to the Cedarberg. Went perfectly and just before citrusdal i saw the temp guage rise ever so sligjtly and going up the pass it climbed. I pulled over and water had been pushed into the reservoir. Waited for the csr to cool a bit and filled radiator and went to citrusdal toyota. Pressure test seems to show head gone. There are little bibbles in radiator. Not very happy at all. Now to get it fixed without it costing the gdp of a small african country given that my wifes kiais also oit of action with abs pump failure

Quote Originally Posted by adamgweba View Post
    Bit of a follow up. I replaced the water pump and thermostat. Water pump had a bit of a leak. Used it on thursday to towmy echo 3 to the Cedarberg. Went perfectly and just before citrusdal i saw the temp guage rise ever so sligjtly and going up the pass it climbed. I pulled over and water had been pushed into the reservoir. Waited for the csr to cool a bit and filled radiator and went to citrusdal toyota. Pressure test seems to show head gone. There are little bibbles in radiator. Not very happy at all. Now to get it fixed without it costing the gdp of a small african country given that my wifes kiais also oit of action with abs pump failure
    Goodluck, that's not a good experience!Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldEditEdit in GingerEdit in Ginger×
    Last edited by golfgt; 2020/11/01 at 10:34 PM.

You do have recourse via the Consumer Protection Act. It will be somewhat painful but definitely worth a try. That gives you 6 months protection.
    My suggestion would be to use it. Let the seller know, if they’re not willing to sort you’ll have no other choice but to go the legal route.
    By no means is this being nasty but just to protect yourself against bad sellers
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    You do have recourse via the Consumer Protection Act. It will be somewhat painful but definitely worth a try. That gives you 6 months protection.
    My suggestion would be to use it. Let the seller know, if they’re not willing to sort you’ll have no other choice but to go the legal route.
    By no means is this being nasty but just to protect yourself against bad sellers
    consumer protection act is only between business to private person, this was a private / private deal so no the cpa is not involved.

Best is to approach the seller and ask who did the work as there is a comeback

but in all fairness the head gasket replacement on that motor is not a massive cost, go visit the local toyota dealer and find out who does "cashies" on the side