Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Fortuner roof carrying weight capacity

    Hi there - I have a 2010 Fortuner, and I want to fit a roof rack. I'm going to fit a Frontrunner - I think they're graded for on-road use for over 200kg. But what can the roof of the Fortuner itself handle? I would imagine far less than say a 79 series land cruiser. Wherever I look for advice - it's always said to check the owner's manual. I have read that book cover-to-cover and there is nothing there about what load the roof of the Fortuner can safely handle. I want to take it on 4x4 roads, and want to fit a tent (+- 50kg), extra fuel (40kg), a spade (+- 3kg), and a hi-lift jack (? +- 20kg), and the roof rack (+- 30kg). So the roof rack itself will be fine - but will the construction of my roof be fine?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,664
    Thanked: 5217

    Default Re: Fortuner roof carrying weight capacity

    I've installed a few roof rails in my life. Last literature I had showed 80kg for Fortuner (D4D)
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,018
    Thanked: 1773

    Default Re: Fortuner roof carrying weight capacity

    I had a similar query on my Trailblazer previously - some good advice here:

    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...69#post3650669
    Stephan G

    4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Fortuner roof carrying weight capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I've installed a few roof rails in my life. Last literature I had showed 80kg for Fortuner (D4D)
    Ah pity ok ... So only the tent then

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Sandton
    Age
    36
    Posts
    155
    Thanked: 141

    Default Re: Fortuner roof carrying weight capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by senor.j.onion View Post
    Hi there - I have a 2010 Fortuner, and I want to fit a roof rack. I'm going to fit a Frontrunner - I think they're graded for on-road use for over 200kg. But what can the roof of the Fortuner itself handle? I would imagine far less than say a 79 series land cruiser. Wherever I look for advice - it's always said to check the owner's manual. I have read that book cover-to-cover and there is nothing there about what load the roof of the Fortuner can safely handle. I want to take it on 4x4 roads, and want to fit a tent (+- 50kg), extra fuel (40kg), a spade (+- 3kg), and a hi-lift jack (? +- 20kg), and the roof rack (+- 30kg). So the roof rack itself will be fine - but will the construction of my roof be fine?
    Front runner rate their rack to 150kg's moving, 300 static. I have done extensive travel with almost exactly that on the roof, tent, fuel and water, as well as a spade and hi lift. It's not advised in terms of vehicle handling though, so we are looking at ways to lower the weight, for example mounting the Jerry cans on the rear bumper I am getting from Gobi-X.
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

    2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

    @timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Hulme For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    577
    Thanked: 2273

    Default Re: Fortuner roof carrying weight capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Front runner rate their rack to 150kg's moving, 300 static. I have done extensive travel with almost exactly that on the roof, tent, fuel and water, as well as a spade and hi lift. It's not advised in terms of vehicle handling though, so we are looking at ways to lower the weight, for example mounting the Jerry cans on the rear bumper I am getting from Gobi-X.
    Ditto loading with an Eezi Awn, the 80kg rating is for standard roof rails both Frontrunner and Eezi Awn enhance the connection between the rack and the roof by spreading the load. I am also reducing the load on the roof but my reasoning is different in that I want to change the RTT to a clam shell which means no room for fuel, I have not had any issues with handling so far.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •