Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: ASPW 38 years of owning 4x4s video

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Maybe off topic but his wife Gwen is a gem, she says it as it is. Then...I think.... he is buying a Ineos Grenadier
    Nope he has said he is building another troopy

It is extremely difficult to develop an overlander that is a good offroader as well when you consider weight requirements of an overlander / camper. I prefer a light vehicle that can do both and therefor to achieve this one needs to tow your accommodation unit either as a camper van or camper trailer and leave it at the camp site when you want to do any real offroading. ASPW has the means to carry out these vehicle developments and he seems to have an aftermarket to dispose of units he is unhappy with. - An interesting thread non the less.
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    It is extremely difficult to develop an overlander that is a good offroader as well when you consider weight requirements of an overlander / camper. I prefer a light vehicle that can do both and therefor to achieve this one needs to tow your accommodation unit either as a camper van or camper trailer and leave it at the camp site when you want to do any real offroading. ASPW has the means to carry out these vehicle developments and he seems to have an aftermarket to dispose of units he is unhappy with. - An interesting thread non the less.
    I've seen many of his Aus video's and in one of them he confesses to enjoying the ''comforts of home''. Although he says he got the balance wrong in his current vehicle - I actually think there is a case for going over the top a bit (hence the overall mass of the vehicle), in Australia specifically, where the travelling component of the journey is extreme and resting after a long day on those long roads is important.

Juxtaposing that with Southern Africa where we generally have much shorter journeys and seemingly do harder off-roading, having more time for ''play''

Interesting topic nevertheless.

I'm converting my Defender 90 into a camper and the challenge of only putting the essential stuff is very challenging indeed. Like ASPW, I don't want to tow.
    Last edited by Landy90fan; 2020/12/29 at 01:52 PM.
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Landy90fan For This Useful Post:

I watched Vid last night, troopy it is yes

Can't wait to see what develops out of this new build.
    Hope he stays extremely focused on his goals threw the entire process, otherwise we'll just have a rehash of the previous Troopy or even the 79. Right in the beginning of the 79 build he also talked a lot about keeping it as light as possible, so let's see if he can keep to that.

Each to their own, but I really don't even see the need for a coffee machine, sure if you are going to fit a big inverter for other reasons as well then by all means, but fitting a big inverter just for your coffee machine is a bit over the top. Then it snowballs from there, I already have the inverter so might as well load the induction cooker, already have the inverter so might as well load the microwave and and and.

Fridge, lights, compressor, water pump and in his case a smallish inverter for charging camera batteries, that's all you need. Then a comfortable place to sleep, quick and easy to pitch and take down, enough packing space for the basics.

Though you are not allowed to make open fires many places in Aus, you are still allowed to use gas, so no need for electric cooking. A great option if you don't like the old school bottle with cooker top is a Cob, I saw the other day that you even get a gas Cob now, they are a bit expensive but awesome little things which doesn't take up a lot of space.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/12/30 at 12:54 PM.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

He's following a pretty much stock standard youtuber recipe though - vehicle choice and purchase video, build videos, and why it must be sold video. Rinse, repeat.

Was it all a mistake?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

I think the new troopy build will be a winner (if he sticks to the lightweight plan).

Simple setup - pop top roof.

When I had my 100 series to tour africa, I started big then constantly removed stuff I didn't use. A big learning curve, but I found simpler was way mroe enjoyable.

I dream of being able to build a troopy, I have even thought/thinking about moving to auz just to get access to them. Not many other places in the world where you can get them unfortunately.
    2020 Suzuki Jimny - Chalky_the_Jimny

2002 LC 100VX 4.2TD - Frank the Tank [Sadly Sold]
    2002 SWB Pajero 3.5 GDI [Basically scrap after SAC PE spent 5 years with it];
    2000 Suzuki Jimny [Sold]

His previous Troopy was perfect. It will be very hard to beat the green one

2021 FJ Cruiser

A Troopy with a pop top roof (not hinged) that gives him more space to work inside, if the weather is bad, will definitely be better for him.

I reckon he learned a lot from this build and this is what he loves doing (donít we all?) so Iím looking forward to his incessant waffling when he starts his new series of build videos

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    His previous Troopy was perfect. It will be very hard to beat the green one
    Agree, I doubt he'll be going the same Alucab roof conversion route, I think or actually hope he has something totally different in mind.
    That Troopy was near perfect, but you can still take that exact concept and put it on a huge diet.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    A Troopy with a pop top roof (not hinged) that gives him more space to work inside, if the weather is bad, will definitely be better for him.

I reckon he learned a lot from this build and this is what he loves doing (donít we all?) so Iím looking forward to his incessant waffling when he starts his new series of build videos
    Exactly my thoughts. Wonder if the pop top can be moved more forward to give more headroom/space at the back.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Agree, I doubt he'll be going the same Alucab roof conversion route, I think or actually hope he has something totally different in mind.
    That Troopy was near perfect, but you can still take that exact concept and put it on a huge diet.
    With Alucab wanting to sue him for a bad review , I donít see how he goes back, a different roof topper would be welcome.

If you have time, watch the 4-part series of the Paul Marsh Troopy build, looks awesome and a near-perfect build.

ASPW and Paul has spent a lot of time together, even did a Nam trip together in one of Paulís 79 DC builds. ASPW did a vid on this trip as well.

I suspect he will check out this build, compare notes from his own Troopy build and come up with something special.

But donít hold your breath guys, he will again sell it and build something else, that is is what he does. Unless like Paul he change strategy and build for others, whoever can afford his services.

If only we could get the Troopy in V8 format.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    Ď18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    Ď19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post

If you have time, watch the 4-part series of the Paul Marsh Troopy build, looks awesome and a near-perfect build.

ASPW and Paul has spent a lot of time together, even did a Nam trip together in one of Paulís 79 DC builds. ASPW did a vid on this trip as well.

I suspect he will check out this build, compare notes from his own Troopy build and come up with something special.

But donít hold your breath guys, he will again sell it and build something else, that is is what he does. Unless like Paul he change strategy and build for others, whoever can afford his services.

If only we could get the Troopy in V8 format.

ASPW's main source of income is media, so he'll continue the builds since it results in a lot of interesting content which translates in to views. My opinion he can no longer sustain high viewer numbers with trips only like he used to do in Africa, so he is forced to do builds to get good content.
    As far as I know he already does builds for other people, but I doubt it's that much. If I remember he once talked about a Troopy build he did for someone and he was going to do a video series on it, but in the end I think he just did a very brief overview, I guess the client didn't want him to do in depth videos.

Will watch the Paul Marsh build for sure, don't know how I missed it. On that topic, I always wondered how much someone like Paul Marsh charges for such a build, and how he goes about it, maybe 5% 10% value of the entire project?

Looks he is doing a new used car build thatís not a Toyota, curious to see how this will pan out, maybe a Mitsubishi....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4