Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: checking castor angle on a 76 Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengis View Post
    Hi all
    The PO of my vehicle has done a fairly heafty lift but looking at some of the workmanship and corner cutting I doubt he checked the caster correction. The handeling is good ( compaired to my old series 2 LR) but has got a little "loose" on one or two ocasions. Now, I resently had the back springs replaced and they have not setteled yet, so will this afffect the caster if they measure it, and should I load up a bag or two of cement and sand at the back to a level which i think it should be at while it gets checked
    Shout if this does not make sense please

G
    I had the same problem on my 79 after I lifted it 4 inches. That is even after I fitted the Castor correction bushes.

Turns out the Castor correction bushes are only effective up to a 2 inch lift. So I have ordered Jmax radius arms from Australia. They are almost 2 inches longer than the original with the correct Castor angle machines in and stronger for sure.

Will give feedback once installed.
    You have one shot.
    Make it count.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
    I had the same problem on my 79 after I lifted it 4 inches. That is even after I fitted the Castor correction bushes.

Turns out the Castor correction bushes are only effective up to a 2 inch lift. So I have ordered Jmax radius arms from Australia. They are almost 2 inches longer than the original with the correct Castor angle machines in and stronger for sure.

Will give feedback once installed.
    This is what I was trying to say. As you lift the vehicle, you start putting an angle into the radias arm, unless you drop your arm mount on the chassis end. The bigger your angle, the bigger your Sagitta distance. My arms sit at around 7deg with my 7" lift, and my Sagitta is around 20mm if I remember correctly. And between ride height and full droop, my castor changes by 4deg. This is with 1.1m long radias arms, and the reason I made them that long. This also helps to get the pivot distance at the chassis as close as possible to the proshaft length to assist the slip joint.

I see our interpretation of the terminology is also causing confusion here, and I was one of the people at blame, sorry. Please clarify when talking about links, whether it includes, or is +panhard. Some people see a aradias arm setup as a 2 link plus panhatd, and other will see it as a 3 link. So to clarify one of my statements, the best way to control castor through droop, is a 3link plus a panhard, and yes, the panhard also needs to be adjustable, or altered for the ride height.

Castor correction solves a problem at ride height, but any change in loading plays havoc with your angles and distances due to your radias arms not laying flat. The bigger your angle the further into troubled times you are as a starting point. Load the front, and your Sagitta decreases and adds length to your wheel base. Lift the front, and it pulls back the wheel base.

In the rear, it causes bump steer when articulating one wheel into full droop. Although this also happens with a four link plus panhard, at least your pinion angle is more controlled.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Thank you all.

How did you all check your caster angles?? At a wheel & tyre centre or in your driveways with a digital level

G

referring to the OP, do you know how much your vehicle is lifted? What suspension is in there?

Because now we are giving advice for lifts between 2" and 7". When this is all done you are going to end up with an even bigger lift and 40" tyres and in the end your problem was a loose wheelnut or no rear spacers.

If you have around a 2" lift you should be ok and the problem is elsewhere, but have the caster checked anyway to be sure. After a wheel alignment it will say on the printout if your caster is within spec or not.

If you have more than a 2" lift then you will need to look at more things than just caster correction.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    referring to the OP, do you know how much your vehicle is lifted? What suspension is in there?

Because now we are giving advice for lifts between 2" and 7". When this is all done you are going to end up with an even bigger lift and 40" tyres and in the end your problem was a loose wheelnut or no rear spacers.

If you have around a 2" lift you should be ok and the problem is elsewhere, but have the caster checked anyway to be sure. After a wheel alignment it will say on the printout if your caster is within spec or not.

If you have more than a 2" lift then you will need to look at more things than just caster correction.
    I agree.

Most lift only 2 inches and use bigger tyre diameters to gain lift. When you go bigger lift a lot more things have to be taken into account excluding the suspension.

Establish your current lift, measure fender to wheel centre and compare to stock readings. What length shackles you have in the back and so forth.

A wheel alignment centre will give you a complete printout will be able to show and explain it to you while itís on the ramp. And check for any bush wear or failure.

Hopefully you can sort this out easily
    You have one shot.
    Make it count.

Thank you all.

How did you all check your caster angles?? At a wheel & tyre centre or in your driveways with a digital level

G
    as Grips said: The only accurate way is to strip off a knuckle. Then make a pin to go through the knuckle kingpins and measure with inclinometer.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I don't really have a problem, just a litttle niggle in the back of my mind, and I just want to be sure. I would say that the lift is just on or a little over 2". I once, on a steep down hill, felt her get a little loose on a corner at about 110 KM. Not scary, but enough to make me want to check it for sure.
    I'll post my findings, and we can talk again from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Any radius Arm can be corrected.
    Ummm, explain please. With offset bushings or with a hydrolic press to bend the arms option 1 good, option 2 ..... not going to happen.
    G

Ummm, explain please. With offset bushings or with a hydrolic press to bend the arms option 1 good, option 2 ..... not going to happen.
    G
    Either yes. You should be able to buy the cranked radius arms.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

I don't really have a problem, just a litttle niggle in the back of my mind, and I just want to be sure. I would say that the lift is just on or a little over 2". I once, on a steep down hill, felt her get a little loose on a corner at about 110 KM. Not scary, but enough to make me want to check it for sure.
    I'll post my findings, and we can talk again from there.
    Sounds like a worn bush somewhere. Proper Death Wobble is unmistakeable.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

felt her get a little loose on a corner at about 110 KM.
    Problem has been found...

Corner + 110km/h + 76 Series = loose
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

G
    Caster correction bushers or aftermarket cranked radius arms.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Yep
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Problem has been found...

Corner + 110km/h + 76 Series = loose
    Agreed.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

You does not have spacers at the back.
    That 110km/ h wiggle tells you you need spacers.

You can also relocate the holes of the radius arms if you need to adjust castor.

There is another solution

Johan Tyres - you should be able to find him on the LCCSA forum, or First Alignment Centre in Cape Town does a mod on the axel bracket if i remember correctly, where you still use the original bushes (apparently the offset bushes can wear prematurely or twist)

I had this done about 12 years ago, and had my alignment checked a couple of weeks ago again, when i did tyre rotations and all fall bang on spec.

Cruiser properly cruises gravel and tar, and i have 33 inch muds, heavy duty coils and air bags. Tyre pressure does also make a huge difference, @ 2 Bar i still run soft and straight, if i go to 2.4 odd i can feel the difference with some bump steer if not laden.
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

Quote Originally Posted by BarryCH View Post
    There is another solution

Johan Tyres - you should be able to find him on the LCCSA forum, or First Alignment Centre in Cape Town does a mod on the axel bracket if i remember correctly, where you still use the original bushes (apparently the offset bushes can wear prematurely or twist)

I had this done about 12 years ago, and had my alignment checked a couple of weeks ago again, when i did tyre rotations and all fall bang on spec.

Cruiser properly cruises gravel and tar, and i have 33 inch muds, heavy duty coils and air bags. Tyre pressure does also make a huge difference, @ 2 Bar i still run soft and straight, if i go to 2.4 odd i can feel the difference with some bump steer if not laden.
    correct, another mod that can be done is the drop box mod. Basically you build a box with mounting holes to lower the holes where the radius arms mount onto the chassis. Popular in the UK, but box a bit exposed if going off-road.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    The following permanent 4WD vehicles have conceptually identical three-link system in the front, and some even front and rear:
    80-series cruisers (those which have permanent 4WD)
    105-series cruisers
    Range Rover (all the live-axle models)
    Land Rover 90/110/Defender (all live axle models)
    Land Rover Discovery 1 and 2 (front and rear)
    Mercedes Gelandewagen (all the live-axle models) (front and rear)
    Nissan Patrol Y60 and Y61

Some of the most revered 4x4's in the world are in the above list. In fact, of the live-axle 4x4's with coil springs, it's basically only the Jeep that uses something different. And probably there are aftermarket "solutions" for most of the drawbacks in most of these vehicles.

I believe it's biggest advantage is robustness. Nothing else comes close in that department, unless the components are absolutely massive.
    Ek dink nie patrol y60 en y61 is permanent 4wd nie.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek dink nie patrol y60 en y61 is permanent 4wd nie.
    Jy is natuurlik reg. Weet nie wat ek besig was om te rook nie...
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

OK, so got it all checked and I still do not have a warm fuzzy feeling, but have some questions answered.
    Firstly does anyone have the dinkum Toyota specification for the HzJ76 caster angle because these look a bit sketchy
    Also can a alignment machine be up to half a degree off, or could a solid axel be half a degree off.

Anyway it looks as if I am due for a 2degree correction if these are correct specks?? Ja??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast