Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    71
    Posts
    7,079
    Thanked: 1357

    Angry State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    SoE extended for another 6 months with decision in Parliament today 28-Sep 2020

    Yes, here we go.

    As the rest of the world is opening the borders and tries not to kill the economy dead, Botswana has decided it necessary to extend the State of Emergency for another 6 months.

    It was published today following the assembly of parliament amid 20 pages of statistics.
    The second last line then came to the point.

    I will look for the official paper to copy it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2020/09/28 at 05:08 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanked: 198

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    SoE extended for another 6 months with decision in Parliament today 28-Sep 2020

    Yes, here we go.

    As the rest of the world is opening the borders and tries not to kill the economy dead, Botswana has decided it necessary to extend the State of Emergency for another 6 months.

    It was published today following the assembly of parliament amid 20 pages of statistics.
    The second last line then came to the point.

    I will look for the official paper to copy it here.
    Is it because of politics or somehow negative trends /stats relating to the pandemic ?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,482
    Thanked: 2008

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    These lockdowns will be very harshly judged by history. Hopefully the voters will also give it a harsh review.

    I hope the fellow from Imperial College that prompted all the lockdowns is totally professionally destroyed given the harm he has done to the world.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    71
    Posts
    7,079
    Thanked: 1357

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayefe View Post
    Is it because of politics or somehow negative trends /stats relating to the pandemic ?
    I attached the document now and amid the stats and prayers (19 pages) the second last paragraph is closing the argument and comes to the point.

    The stats show an upward trend as expected when you open schools etc and we have around 3000 cases, most of them returned to SA as truck drivers are not treated this side.
    16 fatalities in total.

    Statistically the trend is going up compared to the lock-down but looking at neighbouring countries we are doing just fine..

    I wonder how this matches up with SA to open borders for international travel from 1st Oct 2020
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2020/09/28 at 05:19 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    71
    Posts
    1,697
    Thanked: 433

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    There goes our bookings for the second timeBad news
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    S.Antonio
    Posts
    68
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    SoE extended for another 6 months with decision in Parliament today 28-Sep 2020

    Yes, here we go.

    As the rest of the world is opening the borders and tries not to kill the economy dead, Botswana has decided it necessary to extend the State of Emergency for another 6 months.

    It was published today following the assembly of parliament amid 20 pages of statistics.
    The second last line then came to the point.

    I will look for the official paper to copy it here.

    That's very unfortunate. On the other hand that decision could also be lifted before the 6 months, I guess it will depend on the overall reaction by the tourism industry and what neighbour countries do in the meantime. On thing is for sure, the economy won't afford further lockdowns. People are starting to lose their patience and as pressure rise, the economy will have to open, virus or no virus, vaccine or no vaccine.
    Last edited by Nambots; 2020/09/28 at 06:26 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambots For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Corona
    Age
    52
    Posts
    217
    Thanked: 122

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    This is awful. They really are trying to kill the tourism industry. ugh

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,089
    Thanked: 1309

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by kimbaleee View Post
    This is awful. They really are trying to kill the tourism industry. ugh
    I can tell you, some of the small time operators, especially those taking tourists to national park and camping there, will never recover. People dont realise that even during there time, the govenment expect you to pay the annual fees for your licenses, if you leased a concession, you will pay these fees. You have to do vehicle roadworthiness even if they are packed and all require resources and some will default. I agree with the comment above about maybe lifting the SOE before 6 months, but tourism is like stock market. It hates uncertainty.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    The way I read it, it's a proposal at this stage, still has to go through Parliament. Maybe we shouldn't get our knickers in a knot yet........

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ellisras
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,381
    Thanked: 1166

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    In their wildest dreams they did not foresee the power and control they have now. Sh!#hole counties we now are
    Dont blame yourself over past mistakes. Its like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    SoE doesn’t necessarily mean closed borders. And open borders mean open national parks.
    Last edited by algarvedave; 2020/09/28 at 09:19 PM.

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,089
    Thanked: 1309

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    The way I read it, it's a proposal at this stage, still has to go through Parliament. Maybe we shouldn't get our knickers in a knot yet........
    Parliament has just voted and confirmed. 6 more months of SOE.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Private Concession in the Linyanti
    Age
    42
    Posts
    198
    Thanked: 102

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    If you think about it, South Africa is still in a SOE and they're opening borders, nothing stopping Bots from doing the same. I'm choosing to stay positive and to find the light at the end of the tunnel.... And I'm in the Hospitality sector...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Companion

    I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    64
    Posts
    425
    Thanked: 195

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Boy View Post
    If you think about it, South Africa is still in a SOE and they're opening borders, nothing stopping Bots from doing the same. I'm choosing to stay positive and to find the light at the end of the tunnel.... And I'm in the Hospitality sector...
    Yup, hope for the best and prepare for the worst! We have a 3 week camping trip booked starting mid December so hoping it will still happen!
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ezulwini Eswatini
    Posts
    1,944
    Thanked: 3483

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    With most source markets ( UK, US and some europe) experiencing a "second wave" I don't see meaning full travel comming back until middle 2021.

    Botwana's tourism stratergy has been low numbers but high price.

    With the PCR test requirments from SA side and 72 hour validity, it does not make sense to travel for leisure. Bookings would have to be flexible depending how fast the lab can get your results out.

    The 72 hour count down starts from the hour you get the test, not when you recive it.


    Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Overlanding Southern Africa
    Age
    43
    Posts
    241
    Thanked: 106

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Just for some perspective... and my 2 cents

    We spent a total of one year travelling around Botswana between 2016 & 2019 as a family of five, with the rest of our time in SA, Namibia, and holidaying in other neighbouring countries. We were met by many friends from all over the world. We really cant wait to come back and would hop on a plane tomorrow if we could (limited flights anyway).
    However there is NO WAY we will enter any Southern African country until COVID is under some sort of control.
    Remember tourists take anti-malarials so they can enjoy their holiday without risk of getting sick from Malaria. No one wants to end up in an African hospital. The same principle applies for COVID.
    That means either lockdown your country until COVID is wiped out or under some sort of control, or ravage the population and aim for herd immunity.
    Until then, I believe that whatever tourists you do get will be far less than previous, many will be much more cost conscious, and it will prob take up to a decade for your tourism industry to recover to pre-2020 levels.
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

  22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dangermouse For This Useful Post:


  23. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Private Concession in the Linyanti
    Age
    42
    Posts
    198
    Thanked: 102

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Just for some perspective... and my 2 cents

    We spent a total of one year travelling around Botswana between 2016 & 2019 as a family of five, with the rest of our time in SA, Namibia, and holidaying in other neighbouring countries. We were met by many friends from all over the world. We really cant wait to come back and would hop on a plane tomorrow if we could (limited flights anyway).
    However there is NO WAY we will enter any Southern African country until COVID is under some sort of control.
    Remember tourists take anti-malarials so they can enjoy their holiday without risk of getting sick from Malaria. No one wants to end up in an African hospital. The same principle applies for COVID.
    That means either lockdown your country until COVID is wiped out or under some sort of control, or ravage the population and aim for herd immunity.
    Until then, I believe that whatever tourists you do get will be far less than previous, many will be much more cost conscious, and it will prob take up to a decade for your tourism industry to recover to pre-2020 levels.
    Hi dangermouse

    I hear what you're saying but doesn't agree, like you said, your perspective and your 2cents, and I respect that.

    My perspective, and my 2 cents... The tourism industry will bounce back quicker than you think. We are receiving bookings on a daily basis from our source markets in the US, UK and Europe, some, for travel this year still if possible, but, the majority for next year. So, there's movement in the market, people want to travel and get out. I don't think it will be decade...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Companion

    I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    71
    Posts
    7,079
    Thanked: 1357

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    The way I read it, it's a proposal at this stage, still has to go through Parliament. Maybe we shouldn't get our knickers in a knot yet........
    Parliament has approved it yesterday (28-Sep 2020).
    The final paper has not been out but the principal decision is taken based on the attached document under post #1
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    71
    Posts
    7,079
    Thanked: 1357

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by algarvedave View Post
    SoE doesnt necessarily mean closed borders. And open borders mean open national parks.

    Unfortunately it is not that easy.

    We have "Inter zonal permit" requirements which have to be approved individually.
    Each zone only covers about 10% of the country, around Gabs it is less than 5% and about a radius of 80 kms.

    No travel through the zones without permit.

    Now the catch:
    Just as we approach public holidays 30-Sep - 01-Oct a lot of efforts have been made to promote local tourism and bookings have been made and paid for.
    This was all sponsored by Botswana Tourism and people did promotional trips of 8000 kms in the last 3 weeks for that.

    Just for MOHW (Ministry of Health and Welfare) to cancel all permits and ask for re-application 2 days before people wanted to travel.
    It goes without saying that the applications would not be processed on time as the web portal was non-functional by default.

    Fortunately BW Tourism has forced their muscle in and this decision has been reversed on intervention of the already battled tourism industry.

    As someone mentioned above, the power they can now exert is far beyond what was thought of and they enjoy it tremendously

    Conclusion on this:
    It wont be possible to travel freely through the country for foreign visitors unless this changes dramatically.
    Bear in mind the National Parks are open since July or August (not really sure as it cannot concern me at this stage and situation)
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: State of Emergency extended for another 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Unfortunately it is not that easy.

    We have "Inter zonal permit" requirements which have to be approved individually.
    Each zone only covers about 10% of the country, around Gabs it is less than 5% and about a radius of 80 kms.

    No travel through the zones without permit.

    Now the catch:
    Just as we approach public holidays 30-Sep - 01-Oct a lot of efforts have been made to promote local tourism and bookings have been made and paid for.
    This was all sponsored by Botswana Tourism and people did promotional trips of 8000 kms in the last 3 weeks for that.

    Just for MOHW (Ministry of Health and Welfare) to cancel all permits and ask for re-application 2 days before people wanted to travel.
    It goes without saying that the applications would not be processed on time as the web portal was non-functional by default.

    Fortunately BW Tourism has forced their muscle in and this decision has been reversed on intervention of the already battled tourism industry.

    As someone mentioned above, the power they can now exert is far beyond what was thought of and they enjoy it tremendously

    Conclusion on this:
    It wont be possible to travel freely through the country for foreign visitors unless this changes dramatically.
    Bear in mind the National Parks are open since July or August (not really sure as it cannot concern me at this stage and situation)
    Ok thanks for the info. I realised most of that but if a overseas tourist flies in to a particular district and stayed within that district and after his trip flies out again surely that would be ok.
    For example flight into Maun, trip to Moremi, Chobe, flight out again from Maun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •