Asbestos removal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Asbestos removal

So

If if I had this hypothetical friend living in a house purchased recently and this said "friend" was in the process of doing some minor renovations and he would like to remove asbestos panels inside the guest toilet from the walls and dispose of it in a responsible manner. Then how would this "friend" go about this?

Just imagine the very friendly guy at the other side of the line sucked VERY high 5 digit figures from from his thumb to remove and dispose of it properly. What would you do?

How would you do this? Or does anyone here know of a guy who is less enthusiastic with digits when it comes to things like hard earned cash?
    Pieter Greeff

Default Re: Asbestos removal

Contact Ace Magushule he is a veteran in the asbestos removal business

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

All asbestos removal and disposal is regulated as far as I know.

Lots of OHSA issues and rules.

I suggest your "friend" phones some of the bigger role players and gets quotes.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I know the ANC got paid R200M for doing squad about another asbestos problem. I'll take R199M, cash upfront please. I'll also do nothing but look at the bright side, you save R1M!

I believe if you dig a fairly deep hole and chuck it in it won't hurt anybody, it's inert and is only a danger when exposed to open air. Then again I might be wrong (LD).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietsweis View Post
    So

If if I had this hypothetical friend living in a house purchased recently and this said "friend" was in the process of doing some minor renovations and he would like to remove asbestos panels inside the guest toilet from the walls and dispose of it in a responsible manner. Then how would this "friend" go about this?

Just imagine the very friendly guy at the other side of the line sucked VERY high 5 digit figures from from his thumb to remove and dispose of it properly. What would you do?

How would you do this? Or does anyone here know of a guy who is less enthusiastic with digits when it comes to things like hard earned cash?
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Friend of a friend investigated the methodology used for asbestos removal and disposal
    -no expert, but as I -as layman-understand:

essentially the asbestos is embedded in the cement and paint(if any), and only becomes a health hazard when the minute fibres of asbestos are 'liberated' from their encasement -by abrading/breaking/smashing/grinding the material to turn it into airborne cement dust particles and asbestos fibres which can then be inhaled, thus getting into the lungs to do damage.

The main principle is to minimise any breakage/abrasion by removing panels/sheets/elements carefully without breaking them.

Concurrently, an binding agent is used- which is sprayed onto the material at all junctures of the operation -before any interference of the material at all ( to bind any existing loose fibres/dust in void/gaps/cracks etc.), then continually as material is removed to ensure all surfaces are binder-coated (and dried) at all times. Material is bagged in whole pieces in sealed heavy-duty PVC, and loaded for disposal at an accredited landfill. Any inadvertently broken pieces must be sprayed immediately.

Needless to say, H&S issues are paramount, and staff have to have correct PPE breathing/ face/coverall protection.

(-Friend of friend also mentioned that, on investigating the magic wetting muti composition, he discovered that it is effectively a polyvinylacrylate bonding liquid -and this is easily water-thinned to provide a good spray-flow rate from a pressure sprayer.

There is published regulation on this topic -best to seek it out, and find out there for sure.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing1 View Post
    Contact Ace Magushule he is a veteran in the asbestos removal business
    The thing is....

ACE will only tell you for sure that it is asbestos -removal and replacement are excluded (even though paid for)
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

If your friend wants to do it himself, I strongly suggest an appropriate dust mask and airtight goggles and disposable plastic overalls.

He must read up on asbestos and PPE/RPE equipment.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/commu...owner/ppe.html

https://worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-i...with-asbestos/

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/em6.pdf

The advice on the appropriate deep hole is good. And 2m+ is deep. Not knee deep.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Do you have to remove it? There is a product that encapsulates it. I'm not sure if this is only for roofing but may be worth a call to them;

http://www.crommelin.co.za/

Contact Details

[email protected]
    Cape Town

Andre Kruger
    079 762 3911
    [email protected]

Durban

[email protected]
    Johannesburg

Johan Wheeler
    082 928 7002
    [email protected]

Port Elizabeth

93 Westview Drive
    Mill Park
    Port Elizabeth
    South Africa

Stewart Maybery
    041 363 3148
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Chuckzoo; 2020/09/28 at 06:50 PM.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckzoo View Post
    Do you have to remove it?
    Not sure, I will ask my friend But I really think so... It is a fugly cladding panel from the floor up to about 1.2mt stuck on the walls of the guest toilet walls which now has to become tiles.
    Pieter Greeff

I dont think a removal of one panel is life threatening. Just dump it with some rubble removal. It looks just the same as the new tech asbestos replacement, no one will know the difference, and as has been said . Its inert.

Im happy Im still here. The amount of times I have cut facias,barge boards and gutters as well as abstestos water and wastes pipes without a mask.You are always clever afterwards.

my grandfather worked on Mashaba asbestos mine. Died in 1997 from mesothelioma - asbestos cancer. Wasn't an easy death

What is the total size (m2) your friend want to have removed?
    Kobus

Is the stuff stuck to the wall? If so, it will be a very messy (and hazardous) removal I would assume as it will probably come off in small chips?
    Im assuming no way to just tile over it hey?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 4.2td

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    What is the total size (m2) your friend want to have removed?
    It is about 5m2 and roughly 6mm thick panels
    Pieter Greeff

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Is the stuff stuck to the wall? If so, it will be a very messy (and hazardous) removal I would assume as it will probably come off in small chips?
    Im assuming no way to just tile over it hey?
    There are sections which are loose but attached in spots, so not sure how it was attached.

If I had to guess it was probably stuck on with silicone or something similar in patches.

I have had a bit to do with asbestos removal at places like the refineries and Sasol so kind of know what precautions to take and removing it I can do safely. It is the disposal which is a concern for me.

Tiling over it came to mind but that will not work. It is not solid enough and to attach it to the panels will be a challenge.
    Pieter Greeff

https://www.r-d.co.za/
    contact-johannesburg/

84 Western Services Road
    Wendywood
    JHB
    011 656 1555/ 010 060 0380

If you think it's adhered with silicone you can soften the silicone with rubbing alcohol, vinegar or WD40, then you can get it off in one piece. Place in a 6 Mil plastic bag and seal with duct tape.

Then maybe get in touch with the above Co for disposal.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

How did the friend determine that the panel is in fact asbestos? Is it not perhaps a normal fiber cement panel? Is this panel very old?
    Removal and disposal?
    If I was your friend, I would don a dust mask. Close the door, rip the whole lot off the wall, place in black bags and dispose with normal rubbish. Alternatively, drive to the nearest building site and dispose into one of their rubble skips.
    I may be wrong, but Asbestosis happens with prolonged exposure.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    How did the friend determine that the panel is in fact asbestos? Is it not perhaps a normal fiber cement panel? Is this panel very old?
    Removal and disposal?
    If I was your friend, I would don a dust mask. Close the door, rip the whole lot off the wall, place in black bags and dispose with normal rubbish. Alternatively, drive to the nearest building site and dispose into one of their rubble skips.
    I may be wrong, but Asbestosis happens with prolonged exposure.
    Thank you Pieter.
    My thoughts as well....just get on with it and take it out.

Asbestosis is long term inflammation and scarring of the lungs due to asbestos fibers.
    Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

'The danger comes from hankering for normalcy again, rather than getting on with working out how to deal with whatever is ahead.' - CNN article

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Well here is the thing. After consulting with this friend... he told me that he is not certain that it is asbestos, however it looks like asbestos, sounds like asbestos and feels like asbestos. He didn't taste is unfortunately so I guess it could be fiber cement.

Ok then. I am ripping it out this weekend...

Thanks for the suggestions
    Pieter Greeff

I would follow some of the advice here. Mesothelioma only arises many years after exposure... think 40 years or so. Itís extremely nasty death, and can be caused by only a single particle. Jeloís suggestion of masks, filters, PPE and bonding coatings is the way to go. Inhaling particles is one of those low probability high consequence risks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast