Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 156
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 100

    Default 4x2 SUV’s - what’s their purpose?

    Theres lots of people still buying Bakkie based 2wds but I keep wondering why they do so?

    I totally get why theyd buy the 4x4 versions but buying a 2x4 in that class of vehicle really doesnt make sense to me, over a supposedly lesser softroader.

    Compared to a softie, they are:
    - top heavy
    - slower
    - less comfortable
    - dont handle as well
    - use more fuel
    - have less features
    - heavier (mainly due to a ladder frame chassis thats not needed)
    - more expensive

    All of the above are negated on 4x4 versions, but 2x4 versions just seem like they serve very little purpose.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,490
    Thanked: 194

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    Theres lots of people still buying Bakkie based 2wds but I keep wondering why they do so?

    I totally get why theyd buy the 4x4 versions but buying a 2x4 in that class of vehicle really doesnt make sense to me, over a supposedly lesser softroader.

    Compared to a softie, they are:
    - top heavy
    - slower
    - less comfortable
    - dont handle as well
    - use more fuel
    - have less features
    - heavier (mainly due to a ladder frame chassis thats not needed)
    - more expensive

    All of the above are negated on 4x4 versions, but 2x4 versions just seem like they serve very little purpose.
    Generally speaking they are bigger - so maybe it's packing space, etc? The way I see it a 4x2 SUV like a Fortuner has basically replaced the station wagons.


    I would far rather drive a nice wagon than one of those wannabe 4x4 things, but to each his own I suppose

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Mommy taxis.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 100

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Their boots are certainly bigger but not by much. The ones with their 7th seats inside the boot actually have less space.

    I reckon a 2x4 Bakkie-based SUV is more of a wannabe than a softie that actually has 4WD.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,343
    Thanked: 4502

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    A lot of people dont do serious off-roading but they still do game drives, gravel roads etc.

    They have a family so need the extra packing space or maybe tow a heavy caravan.

    4x2 SUV is the answer.
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 100

    Default 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    A 4WD softie can do all of those things in a much better way over a 4x2
    Last edited by XJ Junky; 2020/09/28 at 08:45 AM.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,490
    Thanked: 194

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    Their boots are certainly bigger but not by much. The ones with their 7th seats inside the boot actually have less space.

    I reckon a 2x4 Bakkie-based SUV is more of a wannabe than a softie that actually has 4WD.

    Maybe I wasn't clear, but that's exactly what I mean... I think people buy the 4x2 SUVs because they need the space, but they are wannabe 4x4s. People like the fact that you might mistake it for something that can actually go offroad

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou07 For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ezulwini Eswatini
    Posts
    1,902
    Thanked: 3307

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    2x4 with a diff lock will get you suprsingly far- they will erode a trail some what.

    I guess tyre wear is another advantage. replacing 2 at a time vs all 4 if suv is a AWD

    lots of folk just want something what has wheels that will survive a pothole, thats what made me move originally from sedans to suv's about 10 years ago.


    Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou07 View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear, but that's exactly what I mean... I think people buy the 4x2 SUVs because they need the space, but they are wannabe 4x4s. People like the fact that you might mistake it for something that can actually go offroad
    I bought a Nissan Sani 4x2 in 1998 because I just couldn't find a decent 4x4 version without significant issues for a decent price in time for our annual holiday (1995 Nissan DC was stolen).

    We finally retired it in 2009 and we went everywhere, even onto the top of this hill that usually needs 4x4 in the rain:

    -32.032286, 29.113683

    Don't write off a 4x2 with diff lock.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanked: 4023

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    A lot of people dont do serious off-roading but they still do game drives, gravel roads etc.

    They have a family so need the extra packing space or maybe tow a heavy caravan.

    4x2 SUV is the answer.
    It has nothing to do with wannabe, or appendice size.

    The advantages of a SUV 2WD vehicle:
    • Large (packing space).
    • Rugged construction -> safety.
    • Large wheels and tyres (for bad roads, and that includes many of our surfaced roads).
    • Good ground clearance (again for bad roads, and that includes many of our surfaced roads).
    • Tyres that last twice as long as those found on soft roaders.
    • Capability to tow larger trailers legally.
    • Better visibility for game drives etc.


    They do 90% of what 4x4 SUVs do, at a lower input and maintenance cost.

    (I did an Addo trip two weeks ago in a 'platkar' and I sorely missed the SUV, not because of the 4x4 capability, but the size, height and ability to drive on bad roads).
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

  17. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,140
    Thanked: 24466

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    I think you mean a 4x2 and not a 2x4

    At one stage I owned 2x Ford Ranger Club Cabs, 1x 4x4 and 1x 4x2. I used them in business, the 4x4 wasnt necessary for that, the 4x2 was suitable although it had a RDL fitted at Fury Ford when I bought it. However, both were necessary for the game farm and I got the VAT back

    When the Fords werent being used for business, the 4x2 and 4x4 were loaded with supplies and despatched with a couply wekkers to the farm where we would then take a leisurely trip in the Range Rovers to meet up with the kit at the camp. Both vehicles were put to work recovering animals and the 4x2 with RDL was as capable as the 4x4.

    I have always had SUV/Station Wagon 4x4s except 3x Ford Rangers in Zambia, which were bakkies and only lasted 6 months before swopping the last one for a Jeep. If I were looking for a very versatile family type vehicle again, I would go for the 4x2 bakkie over a SUV/Station Wagon for lugging the family kit/rubbish/ about town but have a separate 4x4.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 100

    Default 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    No, I meant 2x4 because a person would have to be a complete plank to buy one over a softie

    Edit: but for clarity, the point of the thread isnt to compare them to platkarre, but rather to compare them as an option over a Softie
    Last edited by XJ Junky; 2020/09/28 at 09:02 AM.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:

    JJJ

  22. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    3,946
    Thanked: 1618

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Generally they are 4x2s, (4 braked wheels x 2 driven wheels). A 2x4 is a piece of wood in the U.S. or a non roadworthy vehicle.

    Same reason why people buy 4x2 double cab bakkies, I guess. A lot of these type of vehicles are quite decent on gravel roads. Unless you really want to go off road, 4x4 isn't really needed. The higher ground clearance allows for some mild offroading, often these vehicles have or at least used to have a rear difflock. The higher weight compared to a softroader might make towing a heavier trailer legal. You can fit proper A/T tyres with a proper sidewall height, if you travel gravel roads a lot.
    The high seating position is appreciated by a lot of people.
    To me it makes a lot more sense to buy a 4x2 Fortuner, Pajero Sport or Everest than buying something like a 4x2 softroader, e.g. like the earlier generation VW Tiguan, which had the interior space of a Golf. Same for all the other 4x2 softroaders.
    Many of the accessories that make are available for the 4x4 version would fit the 4x2.
    They are rear wheel driven, a lot of people prefer that over FWD sedans or softroaders.

    Specially if you need to finance your vehicle with little deposit available, I guess the 20 or 30k extra for the 4x4 version would put it out of reach for many.

    It really depends on your lifestyle, but I guess there are a plenty of 4x4s out there which might as well be 4x2s, because 4x4 never gets used anyway.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Out of Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,842
    Thanked: 870

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    When I upgraded my 1400 work bakkie, I wanted an old school robust station wagon. It gave my workers who dr8ve with me a level of comfort the back of a bakkie could not, and the security was somewhat better than a conopy. I never wanted a 4x4, but a sweet deal came my way. I thought it looked stooped being so high, and big wheels, and thought I was wasting fuel with the 4x4 drivetrain and extra weight.

    Now, lol, I think the the 2x4 Sani looks stoopid being so low. Looks like its suspension bottomed out, and never returned.

    As for the new stuff, I still won't tough one of them. Just way too much electronics and plastic to be viable as a work vehicle. I ended up with a 4x4 by accident, but won't go back for anything. I actually feel a bit vulnerable not having 4x4 at my disposal. Here where I stay, it is a must. We recover non 4x4s here constantly in the soft sand. Just this weekend we had another three recoveries.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

    http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab



  25. #15
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    37
    Posts
    736
    Thanked: 456

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    I just visited a friend on his farm this weekend.

    Whilst my XC60 with UHP highway tyres handled the gravel road like a champ, I wouldn't want to do that same road with that car and those tyres on a daily basis. Neither car, nor tyres would last very long.

    This is where something like a 2x4 Everest or Fortuner would do those roads 2x daily without breaking a sweat and with A/T Tyres with high profiles the tyres would last much longer.
    Current: 2021 Fiat Panda 900T 4x4

    SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kix For This Useful Post:


  27. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,343
    Thanked: 4502

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Generally they are 4x2s, (4 braked wheels x 2 driven wheels). A 2x4 is a piece of wood in the U.S. or a non roadworthy vehicle.

    Same reason why people buy 4x2 double cab bakkies, I guess. A lot of these type of vehicles are quite decent on gravel roads. Unless you really want to go off road, 4x4 isn't really needed. The higher ground clearance allows for some mild offroading, often these vehicles have or at least used to have a rear difflock. The higher weight compared to a softroader might make towing a heavier trailer legal. You can fit proper A/T tyres with a proper sidewall height, if you travel gravel roads a lot.
    The high seating position is appreciated by a lot of people.
    To me it makes a lot more sense to buy a 4x2 Fortuner, Pajero Sport or Everest than buying something like a 4x2 softroader, e.g. like the earlier generation VW Tiguan, which had the interior space of a Golf. Same for all the other 4x2 softroaders.
    Many of the accessories that make are available for the 4x4 version would fit the 4x2.
    They are rear wheel driven, a lot of people prefer that over FWD sedans or softroaders.

    Specially if you need to finance your vehicle with little deposit available, I guess the 20 or 30k extra for the 4x4 version would put it out of reach for many.

    It really depends on your lifestyle, but I guess there are a plenty of 4x4s out there which might as well be 4x2s, because 4x4 never gets used anyway.
    People buy them insyead of a 4x2 bakkie because they have more space in the back seats. My laaities wont be able to fit in the back of a double cab much longer unless its one of the newer ones.

    Most AWD SUV's come with low profile tyres which is not the case with the bakkie based SUVs
    Last edited by FWM; 2020/09/28 at 09:08 AM.
    Willie Knoetze

    2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

  28. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,649
    Thanked: 2026

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junky View Post
    No, I meant 2x4 because a person would have to be a complete plank to buy one over a softie

    Edit: but for clarity, the point of the thread isnt to compare them to platkarre, but rather to compare them as an option over a Softie

    Hmmm judgmental much??




    They buy it, because they want to buy it - its a free country (well, hopefully still).

    Willem

    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)


  29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Methinks people who stay in cities have a whole other world view when it comes to vehicles.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  31. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    205
    Thanked: 100

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Hmmm judgmental much??




    They buy it, because they want to buy it - its a free country (well, hopefully still).

    Agreed. Hence the thread

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to XJ Junky For This Useful Post:


  33. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    HONEYDEW
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,944
    Thanked: 2658

    Default Re: 2x4 SUVs - whats their purpose?

    Yes they do make sense if you can't or won't spend the money on a similar 4x4.

    Reliability or perceived reliability because engine parts are similar to those in bakkies.
    Think of how many ford 2l engines are on the road compared to a Disco sport.

    Ruggedness perceived or real.

    Potholes. Stronger than a sedan and cheaper to fix than an exotic softie.

    Cheaper than similar sized softie?

    Your X trail most probably straddle these two markets, it is simpler than a RR Evoque and better at 4x4 than the 4x2 Fortuner etc. So you might have best of both worlds.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabels way! (Zech 4:7)

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •