2011 Pajero 3 Door 3.2 DI-D GLS Gearbox

Default 2011 Pajero 3 Door 3.2 DI-D GLS Gearbox

Hi,
    A colleague of mine has the above vehicle and has complained that when it is very cold, less than 5 degrees his vehicle starts, but will not rev above 2500 rpm and will not move forward or backwards. He has to allow the vehicle to warm up for some time and then it operates normally. What could be the problem? Apparently the gearboxes are sealed so no way of checking oil levels or changing the oil. The vehicle has done 195 000kms. Any suggestions or advice please?
    Regards,
    Dave

Default Re: 2011 Pajero 3 Door 3.2 DI-D GLS Gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Hi,
    A colleague of mine has the above vehicle and has complained that when it is very cold, less than 5 degrees his vehicle starts, but will not rev above 2500 rpm and will not move forward or backwards. He has to allow the vehicle to warm up for some time and then it operates normally. What could be the problem? Apparently the gearboxes are sealed so no way of checking oil levels or changing the oil. The vehicle has done 195 000kms. Any suggestions or advice please?
    Regards,
    Dave
    The gearbox is not sealed, but yes there is no dipstick on the model you are referring to. Oil changes are a must and the interval was 60k on the 2007-2010 Gen 4 (I think it was an Aisin box). The post 2010 models have a slightly different box (the name eludes me) and require a slightly different oil spec and interval I think (contact Mitsu with the VIN). Depending where your friend is get it to an indy who knows these cars (CT, Joburg, George), that box costs a lot of money if it fails. They will check it properly and fill to the correct levels. There is also a filter in the box that must be replaced if dirty.

Check here for some more info https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...o-box-problems
    It's a gen 3 but they are similar.

The correct oil is the Dia-Queen from Mitsu

The lack of gear selection and limited revs is a sign that the car is remaining in limp mode and its trying to protect something, most likely something in the gearbox. A fault code reader may indicate what.

Goodluck
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/09/28 at 09:36 PM.

Never knew the pajero did this but my 2009 triton did the same thing..If i remember correctly it was a safety thing to do with engine protection in extreme cold conditions or something.Anyway,its not a fault,just annoying
    John Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Apparently the gearboxes are sealed so no way of checking oil levels or changing the oil. The vehicle has done 195 000kms. Any suggestions or advice please?
    Regards,
    Dave
    Dave, I suggest your colleague goes and slaps his mechanic and finds a proper one.

He better have that ATF flushed and the filter replaced ASAP otherwise he's sitting with a R30k repair bill.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thanks for all the responses

If he has been using an Indie for service many of them dont know that Diaqueen gearbox oil is the preferred choice only available at dealers
    John Gavin

Gen3 2000 to 2006 used an Aisan auto box (has a dipstick), Gen4.1 from 2006 to 2009 they used a Jatco auto box (has a dipstick), Gen4.2 from 2010 on they went back to the Aisan auto box (no dipstick).
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2020/10/05 at 07:35 AM.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post: