Ford & Mazda Load Bin Power Advice

Default Load Bin Power Advice

Hello all,

I have recently installed a canopy which came with a 15cm LED bar on the outside, as well as a small touch light for the interior of the canopy.

The Wildtrak comes with the hella plug on the left in the load bin. Should I use a hella plug splitter to 2 cigarette sockets to 1: power my fridge and 2: wire the 2 lights into the wiring instead of the 2nd cigarette socket? I am just worried about how much power that will all use and putting strain on the hella socket and wiring.

Another option is to run a fused line from the front battery and splice to run the 2 lights. There is also a 32" in LED bar on the front of the bakkie, so I could run all 3 off the feed from the front, and then the fridge alone off the hella.

I'm eventually going to do a dual battery system, but for now I'd like to run it off the primary.

Any advice and ideas welcome Thanks!

Default Re: Load Bin Power Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ev09 View Post
    Hello all,

The Wildtrak comes with the hella plug on the left in the load bin. Should I use a hella plug splitter to 2 cigarette sockets to 1: power my fridge and 2: wire the 2 lights into the wiring instead of the 2nd cigarette socket? I am just worried about how much power that will all use and putting strain on the hella socket and wiring.
    I would firstly stay away from cigarette lighter sockets. Rather wire from the main battery 2 Hella sockets for the fridge and a second one for the lights. You can decide if you only want these sockets to have power while the car is running or at all times. This will then give you 3 Hella sockets. The Hella makes a far better contact and does not vibrate loose and this is quite important for the fridge. You don't want it to constantly switch on and off while driving.

Fine to use the hella for the fridge on it's own, but don't split it with the fridge.
    If I was you I'd get power direct from the battery for the fridge and split the hella for the lights only.

The only power cable I have for the fridge is a cigarette socket. It is a Waeco Tropicool Classic, and only came with the cigarette socket power cable. If I use the hella in the load bin for the fridge, I will need to get an adapter from hella to cigarette. Unless I can get another power cable. Or just snip off the cigarette socket and use a hella plug (but then will the connection be fused?).

I also removed the sports hoop and replaced it with a canopy in my Wildtrack. The sport hoop comes with two LED's lights that no one uses, I traced the wiring back and used that as my pick up point for my interior canopy lighting. The canopy lights is controlled via the old sports hoop button next to your headlight rheostat. Hope that helps.
    2017 3.2 Ford Ranger Wildtrak D/C
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    Ironman 4x4 Protector bull bar
    Stedi 6.5 inch spotlights
    Stanium aluminum canopy with some goodies and stuff inside
    and loads of attitude

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisBlatherwick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBlatherwick View Post
    I also removed the sports hoop and replaced it with a canopy in my Wildtrack. The sport hoop comes with two LED's lights that no one uses, I traced the wiring back and used that as my pick up point for my interior canopy lighting. The canopy lights is controlled via the old sports hoop button next to your headlight rheostat. Hope that helps.
    Good info, thanks Chris. Hopefully getting my Wildtrak this afternoon and also need to connect a canopy light once that arrives.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Or just snip off the cigarette socket and use a hella plug (but then will the connection be fused?).
    Any direct wiring from the battery should be fused at the source.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Good info, thanks Chris. Hopefully getting my Wildtrak this afternoon and also need to connect a canopy light once that arrives.
    Anytime squire, send some pics once your done!
    Last edited by ChrisBlatherwick; 2020/09/28 at 11:50 AM.
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    and loads of attitude

The only power cable I have for the fridge is a cigarette socket. It is a Waeco Tropicool Classic, and only came with the cigarette socket power cable. If I use the hella in the load bin for the fridge, I will need to get an adapter from hella to cigarette. Unless I can get another power cable. Or just snip off the cigarette socket and use a hella plug (but then will the connection be fused?).
    Using an adaptor again introduces a loose fit. Rather cut the lighter connection off and fit a Hella. Any of the sockets should be fused so it is no train smash if the connector is not fused.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBlatherwick View Post
    Sports hoop button? Which model Wildtrak? I have the T6 (pre-facelift).

Sports hoop button? Which model Wildtrak? I have the T6 (pre-facelift).
    I have a face lifted model (2017). The button activates the lights under the sports hoop, see the attached image for a visual reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Old Man Emu lift kit
    Stofpad Box rocksliders
    Aline Dagger
    BFG KO2 285-75-16
    and loads of attitude

My 2020 Wildtrack was fitted with a canopy during delivery and the sport bar which accommodate the load bin light and break light was removed prior to the fitment.

Anybody know where is the electrical cable / supply point located on the bakkie which feed the sport bar lights? I want to install a canopy light which feed from this supply point?