Echo Namib and Kavango Owners thread, mods, info, etc.

Default Echo Namib and Kavango Owners thread, mods, info, etc.

Echo Namib and Kavango Information
    (this info will be updated on a regular basis as more information is obtained. I have a number of owners who have a lot to contribute and will be invited to join / contribute. Photos welcome. Please advise me of any points to add or correct. PM me your details and I will add you to the owners list.)

The Echo Kavango shares a number of design features and items with the Echo Namib. Kavango owners are welcome to share any positive contributions.

Year of manufacture ID:
    Namib & Kavango up to 2009 Ė Steel chassis painted black.
    2010 Ė Stainless steel.
    From 2011 on Ė Galvanised Steel.

Optional extras available:
    Wood rack that fits on the front draw bar.
    Rear roof metal panel for mounting tools, etc.
    Water level meter.
    Electric panel meter.
    Extra grocery cupboard (in place of jerry cans}.
    Travel blanket.
    Tips and ideas from owners:
    The hinges for the front fold down section of the sleeping area needs ongoing attention. The pop rivets are inclined to become loose with use of the caravan. Once the door is folded down, check for movement at the hinge pop rivets by trying to move / lift the door up & down.
    The awning on the bedroom can be increased in length giving the occupants more privacy, improving water runoff and reducing any glare from invasive lighting from the park or fellow campers. Choosing a heat reflective canvas will also make the sleeping area cooler.
    Water pump can be inclined to run on after tap is closed. Open shower and other taps to ensure all air is expelled. Failing this there is an adjustment on the pump. There is also a filter at the water pump.
    Caravan parks usually utilise borehole water which is untreated. Left in a storage tank this water can deteriorate and become smelly. When returning from a trip use a tablespoon of HTH, a part of a Jacuzzi tablet, or a tablespoon of Jik in the tank. And fill enough water to purge the geyser of any old water. You can smell the chlorine in the water at the tap.
    The battery charger is inclined to become noisy at night once the battery is full and the charger attempts to trickle charge. HCDP can modify their original design. Alternatively simply fit an intelligent charger. It is advisable to fuse the connecting wire as close to the battery as possible.
    There is a suitable area to mount a solar panel on top of the roof. This should accommodate up to a 150W panel which is what the maximum solar wattage that the HCDP solar control system is rated for. There is a means to get the wire through the roof.

Owners List:
    Sneaky Pete, Pretoria - Echo Namib 2011 with Bundutec Awning.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Echo Namib and Kavango Owners thread, mods, info, etc.

I will be the first to post some photos. Here is the Bundutec awning I fitted to my Namib. We made a steel frame onto which we attached the awning. A good thing we made it so strong too. We were at Rametsi with Estee, first time out with the awning and well a storm about destroyed it. Do not let anyone tell you guy ropes are not necessary! Storm damage photos to follow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191207_152948.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	589936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191207_171250.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	589937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191207_164605.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	589938  
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2020/09/25 at 04:19 PM.
    Peter

I have a 2018 Namib SX. Live in Gansbaai.
    Sho the Namib owners are very quiet, we trying to get this going as well as a FB page but not a peep!
    Any idea how many were sold in SA?

2019 Triton Auto
    Sold - 2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 DiD 4x4 a/t
    Echo Namib

Oh yeah they are a quiet lot all right. I know of a few owners whom I am trying to get to join the forum. Once it gains momentum it should be good. My Namib is a 2011 year model and is number 068 if my memory serves correctly. One of my pet hates is the grocery cupboard which I together with another owner want to do a much improved, functional system. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures on the thread with a caption per picture at the moment. I tried to cut and paste and that did not work. Any advice?
    Peter

Default Issues with 2008 Kanvango shower

I bought a 2008 Kavango from the second owner just over a year ago.
    The van is in pretty good condition. The previous owner replaced the front tent and its storm sheet and installed the longer awning that goes with the newer storm sheet with Velcro on the side. The 2008 model's awning only ran along the length of the pop-up roof. He also replace the hinges of the front tent's floor. Apparently the originals were useless.
    I bought it with a solar panel fitted on the roof. It has an extra light on the outside left side (one on either side of the door).
    I had to modify the frame that the spare wheel sits on, because the original design was very weak and Echo in Centurion did a botch job when the previous owner took it there to be strengthened, so I nearly lost the spare en route to Yzerfontein last December. They also caused a short which screwed up the lights. I had it fixed shortly after buying the van.
    I bought two new 102 Ah batteries last year which I use with a 24V inverter in the house for load shedding backup for my wife's home office. When we go camping the batteries go in the van. We've camped without 220V for a weekend last year and the September long weekend this year and the system works fine.
    I bought a Snomaster 66l low profile dual door fridge/freezer in April, which fits snugly in the fridge drawer. We have a 40l Engel but wanted both fridge and freezer and I got the Snomaster for R8,5k on a daily deal on Takealot.
    Everything else on the van is standard and works just fine. Except for the shower.
    The shower itself works, but it is a mission to slide it out and even worse to get it back in when packing up. The design is terrible. I believe the newer models have two pipes on either side that slides over a roller into pipes under the body. Mine has only one pipe on either side that make up the frame together with a pipe under the fiberglass outside "door" section of the shower. Said pipes slide (or are meant to slide) into pipes under the body. Pulling the shower out takes some effort, but getting it back in is a pain in the backside. I have thought of applying grease to the pipes, but we frequently camp at sandy sites and with the wind in the Western Cape the grease is bound to become a dirt trap.
    Has anyone thought of an easier way to use this terrible design?
    Last edited by Baas; 2020/10/06 at 10:13 PM.
    Chris Smal

Colt Trailbuster 2400i - sold 2014
    Ford Everest LTD - bought 2014
    Toyota RAV4 VX platkar - bought 2018

re Kavango shower. I have often wondered about that shower. My son has a Companion and uses a quick pitch shower system. Maybe look at that. You can buy it or DIY. Some one had his own DIY design on a thread here on forum.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    re Kavango shower. I have often wondered about that shower. My son has a Companion and uses a quick pitch shower system. Maybe look at that. You can buy it or DIY. Some one had his own DIY design on a thread here on forum.
    I like the configuration of the shower, itís just sliding (more like hammering) it back in which I hate. Iím going to try some dry lube this weekend. If that doesnít work Iím probably going to modify the mechanism if it looks possible.
    Chris Smal

I contacted Willie Grobler of Echo about my problem. He said I should wash out the pipes really well. They are stainless steel, and itís probably the accumulation of dirt over the years which makes it so difficult to slide. Iím going to give it my best with the pressure washer on Saturday and then with the compressor and see.
    Last edited by Baas; 2020/10/08 at 03:42 PM.
    Chris Smal

Maybe try some steel wool on a stick or dowel to loosen up anything inside the pipe.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Baas View Post
    I contacted Willie Grobler of Echo about my problem. He said I should wash out the pipes really well. They are stainless steel, and itís probably the accumulation of dirt over the years which makes it so difficult to slide. Iím going to give it my best with the pressure washer on Saturday and then with the compressor and see.
    I cleaned everything as best I could this afternoon; pressure washer, handy andy and then steel wool. It's working much better, but it's not perfect. It was a bad design and it's built into the chassis so it'll be a ball ache to modify and I'll just have to live with it.
    Chris Smal

Is there not some sort of cover you can have made to keep the mud and crud out? I had a similar problem with the Alko steadies which I found full of crud. Stripped, cleaned them and made covers for them. No more crud .
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Is there not some sort of cover you can have made to keep the mud and crud out? I had a similar problem with the Alko steadies which I found full of crud. Stripped, cleaned them and made covers for them. No more crud .
    The outer pipes through the chassis are about 300mm long. The pipes that make up the two sides of the frame the shower rests on, slide through the aforementioned pipes. When the shower is stowed the frame pipes sit exposed under the body of the caravan, and when the shower is ďpitchedĒ the frame pipes protrude next to the caravan. I suspect that the dirt accumulation happens on the frame pipes and is then rubbed off inside the outer pipes. Iíll clean the frame pipes each time before I stow the shower from now on and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Baas; 2020/10/12 at 08:51 AM.
    Chris Smal