Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Cruiser EFI 105.......Advise Please

Hi Guys

I'm in the process of buying a 99 EFI GX. Went to look at it on Wednesday, Car's batteries were totally flat and the jumper leads too thin, so we didnt start her up.

Going to fetch her on Sunday, provided she runs and I can do a test drive.

What do I look out for?? Car is very original, 1 Owner, 260 000 Km, FSH, and virgin paintwork. NOT a Sandton pavement hopper, but the "basics" look good, and I'm happy with the Selling Price.

1) Clutch...........SORTED

2) Gearbox........SORTED

3) Engine Oil Change........To Do

4) How do I test the lockers if on tar?? Hear them "clicking", or what?? I dont have access to a lift/threstles/gravel ............SORTED

5) The Front Hubs/Knuckles - what to look for there?? If they're fooked, will the car have some "sway" or "play"??..............SORTED

6) Anything else??

I'll have to start her up and test drive, and pay or no pay there.

THANKS
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2020/10/08 at 12:19 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cruiser EFI 105.......Advise Please

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Hi Guys

I'm in the process of buying a 99 EFI GX. Went to look at it on Wednesday, Car's batteries were totally flat and the jumper leads too thin, so we didnt start her up.

Going to fetch her on Sunday, provided she runs and I can do a test drive.

What do I look out for?? Car is very original, 1 Owner, 260 000 Km, FSH, and virgin paintwork. NOT a Sandton pavement hopper, but the "basics" look good, and I'm happy with the Selling Price.

1) Clutch........I'd be able to check that, so sorted

2) Gearbox........as above

3) Engine, diffs, etc etc ....... as above

4) How do I test the lockers if on tar?? Hear them "clicking", or what?? I dont have access to a lift/threstles/gravel

5) The Front Hubs/Knuckles - what to look for there?? If they're fooked, will the car have some "sway" or "play"??

6) Anything else??

I'll have to start her up and test drive, and pay or no pay there.

THANKS
    With the key on II you can hear the centre, front and back lockers actuate.
    It will be more difficult with the motor running, ask the seller to pull the lever and turn the locker switch while you are standing outside the car.

Also look if the lights keep on flashing, my back locker kept on flashing until I took it on a trail with enough wheel spin to engage
    After that it is engaging quickly.

If you only drive a short distance in a straight line on tar I don't believe you can damage anything by engaging CDL, low range and lockers.
    Just turn it off before you turn etc to avoid windup.
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post

Also look if the lights keep on flashing, my back locker kept on flashing until I took it on a trail with enough wheel spin to engage
    After that it is engaging quickly.
    Trust you to fix something by trying to break it

Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

If you have quiet street where you can try it out, engage a locker, drive slowly in a slow turn so things get a chance to line up. When the locker does lock, stop, disengage and reverse the same line you went forward on. That should get again rid of any tension and allow the locker to disengage.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Thanks so far, appreciate it (en ook aan Francois, BAIE dankie vir jou Whatsapp)

Ons soek fotos sodra jy die cruiser gekoop het
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:

Ons soek fotos sodra jy die cruiser gekoop het
    Jy sal dit sien in die for sale thread
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Jy sal dit sien in die for sale thread
    Dalk eers bietjie later......wil eers hom mooi uitkyk en sort, maar het hom al klaar belowe aan 'n pel wat nou in Somalie is vir so 2/3 maande.

Het eergister na die 105 gaan kyk, maar was maar redelik gatvol toe die batterye pap is, het aanbod gemaak en toe ek terug is by die huis laat weet Verkoper my die Aanbod is reg.

Gaan Sondag haal.

Dalk eers bietjie later......wil eers hom mooi uitkyk en sort, maar het hom al klaar belowe aan 'n pel wat nou in Somalie is vir so 2/3 maande.

Het eergister na die 105 gaan kyk, maar was maar redelik gatvol toe die batterye pap is, het aanbod gemaak en toe ek terug is by die huis laat weet Verkoper my die Aanbod is reg.

Gaan Sondag haal.
    Dit gaan nie maklik wees om 'n 105 te verkoop nie, myne sit 'n smile op my gesig elke keur wat ek hom ry.
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

Went and picked up the Beast in Sandton today.

Nice solid Car, with FSH, 1 Owner, still registered as "New" on Natis, spare Keys. Virgin paint, NO spraywork.VERY honest Seller ( thank You Sit you know who you are, hope the Moolah reflects already)

Definitely stuff to sort out, but nothing major.

So happy soos 'n vark in Tel Aviv

K...............daars so bietjie tidying up to do here. But nothing too serious.I'm going to post stuff in here as I progress if OK with you Guys, a sort of Platform to ask for advise and maybe hopefully also helpful to someone out there??

1)...........ELECTICAL

1) Messy wiring all over the place. 2 Batteries, a Varta and a Deep Cycle whatever. The lug on the primary battery was loose when I collected yesterday, NO power on the battery. When I dim and bright one time on the highway the car actually stalled - my gat afgeskrik.
    Anyway.
    Put the P/Battery on charge yesterday evening, this morning it's about half full, enough to swing the engine.
    Its at my sparky Carel now, he must just fasten everything. Remove the Bluetooth and Handsfree and what have you from the battery - I already started snipping away at all the speakertjies and knoppies etc etc inside early this morning, I just HATE gadgets like that.
    Carel must also disconnect and remove the second Battery altogether, with ALL wiring between it, including that dodgy looking solenoid boksie dingetjie........for now, ONLY the Primary Battery, nice, tight and neat.
    With ONLY the Thomas compressor running from there, with a switch. Nothing else.
    And he must just make sure the alternator charges.
    Lekker back to basics, vir eers........using Teenie Weenie Steps.
    We can do the second Battery thing later.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2020/09/28 at 04:26 PM.

K...............daars so bietjie tidying up to do here. But nothing too serious.I'm going to post stuff in here as I progress if OK with you Guys, a sort of Platform to ask for advise and maybe hopefully also helpful to someone out there??

ELECTICAL

1) Messy wiring all over the place. 2 Batteries, a Varta and a Deep Cycle whatever. The lug on the primary battery was loose when I collected yesterday, NO power on the battery. When I dim and bright one time on the highway the car actually stalled - my gat afgeskrik.
    Anyway.
    Put the P/Battery on charge yesterday evening, this morning it's about half full, enough to swing the engine.
    Its at my sparky Carel now, he must just fasten everything. Remove the Bluetooth and Handsfree and what have you from the battery - I already started snipping away at all the speakertjies and knoppies etc etc inside early this morning, I just HATE gadgets like that.
    Carel must also disconnect and remove the second Battery altogether, with ALL wiring between it, including that dodgy looking solenoid boksie dingetjie........for now, ONLY the Primary Battery, nice, tight and neat.
    With ONLY the Thomas compressor running from there, with a switch. Nothing else.
    And he must just make sure the alternator charges.
    Lekker back to basics, vir eers........using Teenie Weenie Steps.
    We can do the second Battery thing later.
    Does the boksie have a name on as well as a controller in the car?
    It will then probably have some extra power points in the boot/ outside as well?

It is handy to have a dual battery system, I forgot my lights on one day for long enough that the car wouldn't start.
    Pushed the winch override on the controller and jump started myself
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

Does the boksie have a name on as well as a controller in the car?
    It will then probably have some extra power points in the boot/ outside as well?

It is handy to have a dual battery system, I forgot my lights on one day for long enough that the car wouldn't start.
    Pushed the winch override on the controller and jump started myself
    Jean no the boksie must go.

I'll do a proper 2nd battery thing later, for now ONLY that Thomas is connected, nothing else.

There is a Hella and the standard ciggie plugs at the back, I'll sort that out when doing the dual battery thing with a proper simple reliable effective setup.

But again, for now, just a stock standard setup, start and go, no funnies.

Ons gaan seker 'n kilometer se los drade en stront daar uithaal vandag.

Ons gaan seker 'n kilometer se los drade en stront daar uithaal vandag.
    Ek sit met dieselfde probleem!! Nou die dag wou my anderson plug nie werk nie. Dog dis die plug self. Bou die ding uitmekaar toe sien ek iets anders moet fout wees. Ruk die die paneel af en skrik so groot dat ek elke fuse van die 2de battery trek!!! Sal ook alles moet laat oordoen.
    Last edited by Nys; 2020/09/28 at 10:49 AM.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Ek sit met dieselfde probleem!! Nou die dag wou my anderson plug nie werk nie. Dog dis die plug self. Bou die ding uitmekaar toe sien ek iets anders moet fout wees. Ruk die die paneel af en skrik so groot dat ek elke fuse van die 2de battery trek!!! Sal ook alles moet laat oordoen.
    Ag ja wat Gert maar nie issue nie - elke ou sit mos maar sy goete in wat hy dink, soos BT en Handsfree etc etc etc. Maar ek wil soort van "from scratch" hier begin, ek dink selfs aan net iets portable soos ons NL Deep Cycle Battery Box wat vir ONS baaaaaie beter en doeltreffender werk.

Hou nie van te veel gadgets om my nie, maak my nervous. Net 2 drade vanaf die een battery vir eers, start and go. Soos wat hy van sy Mamma se tiet af gekom het.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2020/09/28 at 11:09 AM.

Ek is lucky wat dit aanbetref, het nog die standaard radio ens net 'n National Luna stelsel met 'n punt buite vir trailer en punt binne vir yskas.
    Gaan hom maar eerder hou vir as ek weer ligte aan vergeet
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

Petri, wanneer kom ons by die suspension lifts ens uit?

Daar is seker nie baie 1 eienaar 105s daar buite nie, dink jy het 'n lekker deal gekry
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

Petri, wanneer kom ons by die suspension lifts ens uit?

Daar is seker nie baie 1 eienaar 105s daar buite nie, dink jy het 'n lekker deal gekry
    Jean hy het klaar OME op. En dual spare carriers agter want hyt 'n ###### LR Tank onder. Ook maar goete wat ek nou nie rerig begeer nie maar ja, dit is nou op. Vorige Eienaar het darem nog die original tenk en ook nog die roofrack, sal later plan maak om dit hier te kry die goed le in Slaapstad.

Moet se die kar staan mooi met daai OME en daars plek vir bietjie groter bande.

Maar dis eers later se dinge.......my volgende "sorting out" to do is die Kar het 'n tipe "surge", hys baie lui op lae RPM. Ek het so vuil spesmaas dis daai pap battery, as ek gister die brights op die highway aansit vrek die enjin. Die EFI het letterlik dalk nie krag gehad nie. Weet nie of dit moontlik is nie.

Op spoed loop hy dat dit bars - maklik tot so 150/155, wou hom nie rerig hard push nie, wil eers alles mooi check.

Maar ja, weereens - dis eers later se worries. Net eers al die onnodige drade en batterye en solenoids en kakkas uit die pad kry, dan kyk ons wat wys verder.

Maar dis eers later se dinge.......my volgende "sorting out" to do is die Kar het 'n tipe "surge", hys baie lui op lae RPM. Ek het so vuil spesmaas dis daai pap battery, as ek gister die brights op die highway aansit vrek die enjin. Die EFI het letterlik dalk nie krag gehad nie. Weet nie of dit moontlik is nie.
    Oom Petri - die eerste 105 wat ek toetsbestuur het (het nog vir Oom die whatsapps getsuur!) het so groot tenk in gehad en op "Sub" was hy baie lui tot so by 2200 rpm. Dan trek hy.

Die eienaar het vir my gese dit is maar die grote van die tenk. Nou die dag dieselfde cruiser gesien (duitse oomie het hom gekoop voor ek kon) en die manne moes die ekstra tenk sowel as die pomp vervang!!
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Oom Petri - die eerste 105 wat ek toetsbestuur het (het nog vir Oom die whatsapps getsuur!) het so groot tenk in gehad en op "Sub" was hy baie lui tot so by 2200 rpm. Dan trek hy.

Die eienaar het vir my gese dit is maar die grote van die tenk. Nou die dag dieselfde cruiser gesien (duitse oomie het hom gekoop voor ek kon) en die manne moes die ekstra tenk sowel as die pomp vervang!!
    Ek het so idee dis dalk dieselfde ding hier. Eienaar het my gese die kar verloor krag as jy die LRT gebruik, blykbaar iets wat "vasknyp" of iets. Maar ook eers later se worries. Gister nie rerig verskil gevoel nie, maar ek was so ge worried oor daai electical bits dat ek eintlik aan niks anders kon dink nie.

Ek moet ook nog uit figure of die groot tenk die "Main" of die "Sub" tank is.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast