IT Related Wireless signal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wireless signal

Default Wireless signal

I recently had fibre installed at home, and a D-Link DIR842 router to support the needs of the household...
    Problem is, when watching a movie on the laptop, it buffers constantly, worse if there is a cell phone on the go with one of the kids, so the question is....

Will hard wired-in wireless hotpoints/relays around the house improve things or will the wireless always be less than ideal by comparison to the wired feed?

Number 1 brat has her iPhone and iPad on every waking hour, Number 2 brat has his PS4 and PC on wired feed, the main house PC is wired and there are 4 total cellphones on wireless the rest of the time.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Default Re: Wireless signal

Yes.

Option 1. Hard wire will improve things, you can have routers at the end of cable if you want. You can have unique SSIDs though
    Option 2. TP link ethernet over power, but you will still be relying on wifi and it will be the same SSID as your main router, but does have a RJ45 so you can then just use a short cable to the laptop or what ever device you want to connect via cable.

If you need help with cabling, give me a shout.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:

Well to start off all those devices will use more bytes than your router might supply. We stream 2 different channels with my wireless Rain with better bytes than any of the other cell providers. Surprised to hear you are battling with Fibre.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/09/24 at 07:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Run a test on speedtest.net on the laptop and see what the result is...

Run the same test on the laptop and a phone at the same time... you need to install the app on the phone...

If the numbers are still OK, it is more likely something in the laptop or on your network.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

TP Link Deco E4 Range extenders worked for me. Great speeds throughout the house and no wires..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to husainw For This Useful Post:

Best way is to have multiple access points connected via Cat 5e or Cat 6, and those wireless access points supporting mesh - so that you have one SSID throughout.

There are a number of vendors supplying that.

Wherever possible for video I run a cable.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Give brat 1 & 2 their own dedicated feed and make them earn rights to it

Robert van den Berg

1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

I would definitely go hard wired, and try to use access points that support 5G and meshing. I installed this one and so far it is brilliant, and by far outperform the Unify one I had.

https://scoop.co.za/mikrotik-cap-ac-...i-5acd2nd.html

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Without a doubt, hard wired is the best way to go. Over WiFi there will always be a bit of up and down in signal strength. I've wired 3 routers as access points around the house via Cat6 cable all connected to the main fibre router. Phones obviously still connect via wifi but laptops are all using the cabled network and performance is much better.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nabs For This Useful Post:

What speed is your fibre?
    Granted I don't have teenagers, but personally I don't bother with wired connections, everything in the house runs on Wifi, 2x desktop computers, 2x laptops, 1x TV and 3x phones.
    I do have quite a good quality router though, TP-Link Archer D9 with 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi.

Depending on your connection speed in the first place, I will suggest you look at a good quality dual band Wifi router. Maybe even then consider creating a separate network for the brats on which you can limit the speed. You can for example then limit all their devices to 5 Mbps, but your laptop, TV and phone will still have the full 10 Mbps speed.

Wired connections is another way to go, but it can be a lot of effort to do properly, basically wiring up the whole house with a ethernet point in every room with switches etc. Yes wired will always be better than wireless, but I'd see going the wired route as a last resort unless of course I build a house from scratch, then I'll wire it up to the hilt.

Edit
    Ok I just checked, that router you've got is pretty decent, so the amount of devices on the network or router bandwidth can't be the bottle neck, unless of course some of the devices are very far away.
    I suspect your connection speed to be the bottle neck here.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/09/24 at 08:43 PM.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

If all fails, can't you put passwords onto your set up, if slow cut the kids off.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I have partially wired the house and I have parts to do the rest. I use CAT 5 - cheaper than CAT 6 and CAT 6 is simply over kill.

Try streaming using an other device than your laptop. Actually make sure the laptop is powered down.

What is the fiber speed?
    Which frequency Wi-Fi laptop is using
    Try streaming YouTube and or Netflix. They have local servers and work better than other providers
    When checking speed check the default speed, which is to around the corner point. Then change to London, New York, Thailand, Australia
    Connect laptop to router using LAN cable and try streaming
    Kill the brats off and test. Allow one devise at a time added and test
    Are you trying to stream too far from the router. Especially 5 GHz is short range
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    What speed is your fibre?
    Granted I don't have teenagers, but personally I don't bother with wired connections, everything in the house runs on Wifi, 2x desktop computers, 2x laptops, 1x TV and 3x phones.
    I do have quite a good quality router though, TP-Link Archer D9 with 2.4 and 5 GHz Wifi.

Depending on your connection speed in the first place, I will suggest you look at a good quality dual band Wifi router. Maybe even then consider creating a separate network for the brats on which you can limit the speed. You can for example then limit all their devices to 5 Mbps, but your laptop, TV and phone will still have the full 10 Mbps speed.

Wired connections is another way to go, but it can be a lot of effort to do properly, basically wiring up the whole house with a ethernet point in every room with switches etc. Yes wired will always be better than wireless, but I'd see going the wired route as a last resort unless of course I build a house from scratch, then I'll wire it up to the hilt.

Edit
    Ok I just checked, that router you've got is pretty decent, so the amount of devices on the network or router bandwidth can't be the bottle neck, unless of course some of the devices are very far away.
    I suspect your connection speed to be the bottle neck here.
    I have 100/100 Uncapped with Frogfoot and MWEB as the "operator".
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Run a test on speedtest.net on the laptop and see what the result is...

Run the same test on the laptop and a phone at the same time... you need to install the app on the phone...

If the numbers are still OK, it is more likely something in the laptop or on your network.
    OK, I just did a quick test with the house PC and my phone.
    Router is 1.5m away.

PC on cable only:
    5ms ping
    91.11 down
    19.61 up

PC and mobile together:
    PC Mobile
    3ms 4ms
    85.56 31.5
    15.6 15.1
    Mobile is a Samsung Galaxy A20s and the connection page shows network speed as 72Mbps.

I will do the rest of the devices when their owners are awake/back from school later.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I have partially wired the house and I have parts to do the rest. I use CAT 5 - cheaper than CAT 6 and CAT 6 is simply over kill.

Try streaming using an other device than your laptop. Actually make sure the laptop is powered down.

What is the fiber speed? 100/100 uncapped
    Which frequency Wi-Fi laptop is using Not sure, will check
    Try streaming YouTube and or Netflix. They have local servers and work better than other providers Last night was DSTV and Netflix streams
    When checking speed check the default speed, which is to around the corner point. Then change to London, New York, Thailand, Australia Results posted are local, will do further later.
    Connect laptop to router using LAN cable and try streaming Will do
    Kill the brats off and test. Allow one devise at a time added and test Will do
    Are you trying to stream too far from the router. Especially 5 GHz is short range The problematic laptop is about 8m away and through 2 walls, running W10 (spit)
    See in red.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Is there a way of checking the quality of my cables?
    They are all DIY, crimped with a proper tool and tested with this continuity tester.

Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Is there a way of checking the quality of my cables?
    They are all DIY, crimped with a proper tool and tested with this continuity tester.

Read what CAT that wire is. Anything 5 or 6 will work fine.

If Netflix is giving trouble on 100/100 line, which is overkill for streaming, there is an issue. I gave 8/2 line to grandkids and they stream with it fine. I had 20/20 line and problems. Problem was hardware on Vuma side. You should be able to ID the problem area by switching off items. To eliminate the router connect your laptop to the fiber box directly using LAN cable. Use the same port as the router is using.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

To repeat what has been said, wired beats wireless every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Try and move everything stationary to wired leaving wireless for the tables and phones.

Also try and use the 5hgz band for streaming to tablets and phones, range is shorter but throughput is substantially better than 2.4ghz. I'd also deactivate the wifi on supplied unit and get proper wireless kit. I use Unify and very happy with the units.

In my house all PC's and apple TV are wired and I have 3 unify AP's throughout the house. 2.4ghz is used for the all smart home gadgets and 5ghz for phones, tablets and laptops
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

31. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

My 2cents.

1) With a 100/100 line you should not be struggling, so it would boil down to something other than your line speed.(ok, but, PS4 wired, if brat 2 is downloading a game, it could hog the line a bit).
    2) Obviously wired connections runs better than wireless, but it's also not practical to have everything wired. I only have my tv boxes wired, and my work laptop. Reason for the tv boxes is because their wireless connections are crappy(hardware), and laptop for work is because I need proper speed to do my job.
    3) I avoid 5g at all costs, the penetration is just horrible. My router is in the middle of the house, which gives me farily good 2.4g signal throughout.
    4) In your case it could be that your laptop is too far away, or the hardware isn't too great. Phones are notoriously big hoggers of wifi. I however use my smart tv and have no issues, so it could very well be that your wifi signal is just crappy where your laptop is. I would either see if the router can be relocated, or whether I could run a wired cable to the laptop if I were you.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

33. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

We stream (1 x PC running Netflix, Eth CAT5 to WiFi repeater) and download and surf (2-3 laptops on WiFi) and mobile (2 x Android) simultaneously on a 10Mbps Wireless link, can't see that 100Mbps should buffer?

As mentioned, check the signal strength at the laptop.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

35. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast