Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 341

    Default Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    My sister has just adopted a fox terrier puppy that was hurt as the owner reversed his bakkie. Although I am happy for her to have a new companion after being without a dog for 3 years I am concerned that there may be costly, lingering health issues.

    I have not yet seen the pup, just got a picture. She says that, according to the owner, initially the pup could not walk after the accident. She now walks oK but with a slight sway. Could this be an indication of spinal cord damage?

    I know an xray would be the way to go but she is a pensioner and this may be too costly an option.

    What should she be looking out for?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuckzoo; 2020/09/24 at 10:13 PM.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,991
    Thanked: 2204

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Get pet insurance.

    Dotsure or similar
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

    Andrť Opperman

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 341

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Get pet insurance.

    Dotsure or similar
    I'll look into it. Thanks.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    64
    Posts
    454
    Thanked: 1716

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Just be careful about exclusion of pre existing conditions, which would mean any complications deemed to arise from the accident.

    2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,902
    Thanked: 4176

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Unfortunately a good vet is a must. Our four legged friends canít tell us they are in pain

    A thorough check up with x-rays will not cost an arm and a leg
    Gert Grobler

    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,080
    Thanked: 2655

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    I am willing to make a small contribution to the costs of the x-rays, which I believe is essential to the long-term health of the puppy.
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."


  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,902
    Thanked: 4176

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I am willing to make a small contribution to the costs of the x-rays, which I believe is essential to the long-term health of the puppy.
    I'll match that!!
    Gert Grobler

    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Roodekrans
    Age
    45
    Posts
    361
    Thanked: 80

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I'll match that!!
    Im also in on the contribution.

    Make sure everything is sorted out now and the puppy will reward her with a life long companionship that human beings dream off.
    Stefan

    2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab with a few extra's
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint (daily platkar drive)
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4x4Superman For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,080
    Thanked: 2655

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Chuckzoo, could you maybe arrange an estimate/quote for the initial x-rays/vet visit?
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    33
    Posts
    845
    Thanked: 1118

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckzoo View Post
    My sister has just adopted a fox terrier puppy that was hurt as the owner reversed his bakkie. Although I am happy for her to have a new companion after being without a dog for 3 years I am concerned that there may be costly, lingering health issues.

    I have not yet seen the pup, just got a picture. She says that, according to the owner, initially the pup could not walk after the accident. She now walks oK but with a slight sway. Could this be an indication of spinal cord damage?

    I know an xray would be the way to go but she is a pensioner and this may be too costly an option.

    What should she be looking out for?
    Well, honestly, with our furry friends, there are always massive costs. Even if you adopt a healthy animal. I mean my big boy had cat flu as a pup, and that was a quick 10k at the vet. I've also had cat bills running more than the above.

    Anyway, without sounding rude or anything, people should always be cognizant of the fact that pets costs money, and vet bills can be quite hefty. Definitely look at the pet insurance thing. And yes, I would say your sister needs to get that pup to a vet asap for a full inspection, and ensure there is nothing major wrong, or that anything that could be rectified now gets rectified asap.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/09/25 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Rephrasing a bit
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanked: 1581

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Adopting a dog is very rewarding (we have 3 rescues in the house, the most recent addition a severely neglected Lab around 6/7 years old that I know and accept will land me with vet bills as she gets into her golden years)

    Adopting a dog with potential health issues when you do not have the finance to look after it is a potential disaster. As said get the dog checked out properly and be ready that you may have make a hard call. BUT plenty of dogs have adapted and live good lives with bad injuries.

    On a tangent is a puppy the right fit for a pensioner? This could be another problem in the making in a few years when she cannot look after the puppy anymore, would adopting an older dog not make more sense?
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 341

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Thank you for all the kind replies and offers to help her with costs it is so heart warming to know people care. I understand is an SPCA clinic in Montagu where she can have the pup checked, I have sent her the details.

    As far as an older person adopting a pup is concerned I strongly believe it will be to the benefit of both. The pup gets someone to shower it with love, which I know she is doing already and she gets the unconditional love pets offer us. Studies have shown a drop in blood pressure and other health benefits for being around animals, that's why they are so often used in therapy sessions.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,178
    Thanked: 643

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I'll match that!!
    I'm in. Get Dotsure. These fellas are active and even my (not so active) rescue had a torn ligament, which would've cost around R16k. I took her for prolotherapy, which seems to have worked, but also got Dotsure immediately.
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,902
    Thanked: 4176

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post

    Anyway, without sounding rude or anything, people should always be cognizant of the fact that pets costs money, and vet bills can be quite hefty. Definitely look at the pet insurance thing. And yes, I would say your sister needs to get that pup to a vet asap for a full inspection, and ensure there is nothing major wrong, or that anything that could be rectified now gets rectified asap.
    We have a standing account at our vet Since birth, our one Spanjoel had chronic stomach problems and spend a few nights at the vet almost every month. Bill often ran into the 10's of thousands! Solved it with, wait...yoghurt

    Anyhoo, since then, we just have the account and almost a monthly payment to the vet budgeted for. Every time we pay it off in full, something happens! Like in April when we took our doggies for a walk, a dog off a leash ran straight to us and mauled Micshka! Again a bill of almost 8k and then we picked up an underlying heart issue. Now she is on meds!

    Wish we had pet insurance in Nam!!!
    Gert Grobler

    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,080
    Thanked: 2655

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    We have a standing account at our vet Since birth, our one Spanjoel had chronic stomach problems and spend a few nights at the vet almost every month. Bill often ran into the 10's of thousands! Solved it with, wait...yoghurt

    Anyhoo, since then, we just have the account and almost a monthly payment to the vet budgeted for. Every time we pay it off in full, something happens! Like in April when we took our doggies for a walk, a dog off a leash ran straight to us and mauled Micshka! Again a bill of almost 8k and then we picked up an underlying heart issue. Now she is on meds!

    Wish we had pet insurance in Nam!!!
    And when you have to visit the vet after-hours it becomes REALLY expensive, had that happen last month.

    So now Jack is on specialized gastrointestinal pellets that cost a fortune and daily grilled chicken fillets.

    Still worth every cent. I still prefer my dog to most people.
    ASPW on the Jeep Grand Cherokee: "This vehicle is phenomenal... I have never seen a traction control system working quite like this..."


  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 341

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post

    Still worth every cent. I still prefer my dog to most people.
    Thanks for that. you really made me smile.

    Does anyone have a web address for Dotsure I tried to pull it up online to no avail.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanked: 629

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckzoo View Post
    Thanks for that. you really made me smile.

    Does anyone have a web address for Dotsure I tried to pull it up online to no avail.
    I presume you did not even try ?

    https://www.dotsure.co.za/

    Edit: Also why I prefer animals.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2020/09/25 at 03:22 PM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    WC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,637
    Thanked: 341

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I presume you did not even try ?

    https://www.dotsure.co.za/

    Edit: Also why I prefer animals.
    ..........of course I tried! I can not get on the that website, even the one you posted, it keeps showing something called Medipet.

    This is the message I get; This site can’t provide a secure connection

    Could someone please post Dotsure's rates and a contact #?
    Last edited by Chuckzoo; 2020/09/25 at 06:34 PM.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Strand
    Age
    40
    Posts
    478
    Thanked: 288

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckzoo View Post
    ..........of course I tried! I can not get on the that website, even the one you posted, it keeps showing something called Medipet.

    This is the message I get; This site canít provide a secure connection

    Could someone please post Dotsure's rates and a contact #?
    Here is quick screenprints for you about the cover and premiums for dogs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200925_204521_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	589962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200925_204530_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	589963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200925_204535_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	589964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200925_204540_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	589965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200925_204549_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	589966

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Strand
    Age
    40
    Posts
    478
    Thanked: 288

    Default Re: Puppy adopted that was involved in an accident.

    Sorry here is their contact details as well. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200925_204810_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	589967

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •