Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Looking for current info on Djibouti/Ethiopia and Ethiopia/Kenya border posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffcat View Post

Take your budget. Times it by twenty. Take USD notes between 1 and 50
    Triple your planned time on the drive down.
    I agree with these two points. Haha for the rest, Spliffcat!

Many border towns are coronavirus hotspots. And, unfortunately, most are now rather large towns. So, lighting your campfire (and getting out the camel meat) in or near a border post is definitely a figment of Spliffcat’s Lower Zambezi-fueled imagination!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/09/27 at 01:01 AM.

Default Re: Looking for current info on Djibouti/Ethiopia and Ethiopia/Kenya border posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I am not on Facebook, but apparently there is an overlanding Africa Facebook group. You might hear of others about shipping into Djibouti on that group.
    This Facebook group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1654394317924933/ Just join the group, but at present the information activity is quite low as understandably not many are actually traveling. Go back a month or two to pick up the threads of information. Posted queries might well produce helpful answers.

Other useful sites, but also with very little current activity are

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hu...aharan-africa/
    https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/north-africa
    /

Perhaps some queries posted there might also produce some more helpful answers.

Another site to use for research and whilst on the road for logistical and accommodation info is the very good http://ioverlander.com/
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks for everyones input! The Facebook group Overlanding Africa seems to be a very good source for up-to-date/current information. The land border crossing also seems to be a hot topic at the moment on the group.
    ...The ethiopian/kenya border remains a mistery/closed?

Info: Just got off the phone with our clearing agent in Djibouti. He assured me that the border djibouti/ethiopia is currently open for commercial and private vehicles. PCR test certificate to enter Djibouti should be sufficient to cross border to Ethiopia. Another PCR test can be done in Djibouti if necessary.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alspal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by alspal View Post
    Thanks for everyones input! The Facebook group Overlanding Africa seems to be a very good source for up-to-date/current information. The land border crossing also seems to be a hot topic at the moment on the group.
    ...The ethiopian/kenya border remains a mistery/closed?

Info: Just got off the phone with our clearing agent in Djibouti. He assured me that the border djibouti/ethiopia is currently open for commercial and private vehicles. PCR test certificate to enter Djibouti should be sufficient to cross border to Ethiopia. Another PCR test can be done in Djibouti if necessary.
    Copied from https://www.ethiopiaonlinevisa.com/entry-restrictions/
    Are Ethiopia’s Borders Open?

In March, all land borders were closed to travelers, with very few exceptions. Security forces were deployed to the border to enforce this measure. This has made entering the country much more difficult. It was hoped is that these steps would reduce the number of new COVID-19 cases.
    In August, land borders with neighboring Djibouti were reopened and transport services resumed operations. Ethiopia’s land borders with other countries may be reopened soon, following talks with the governments of these nations.

Perhaps you could contact the World Food Programme and ask them. This document dated August 2020 says the Ethiopian/Kenyan border is closed. https://reliefweb.int/report/kenya/w...kets-update-10

Or phone your Embassy in Addis Ababa?

I will ask some of my contacts in Kenya and Ethiopia.

Perhaps you could contact the World Food Programme and ask them. This document dated August 2020 says the Ethiopian/Kenyan border is closed. https://reliefweb.int/report/kenya/w...kets-update-10

Or phone your Embassy in Addis Ababa?

I will ask some of my contacts in Kenya and Ethiopia.
    I have in the meantime made contact with someone in Ethiopia who has a contact at the Moyale border post. He will phone in the next days and inquire about the situation. To his knowledge the border is currently still closed to private vehicles.

Any information you can gather will also be greatly appreciated! thank you

One of my contacts in Ethiopia is going to ask around as to when the border might reopen, and will get back to me in a few days.

You could also try phoning Henry in Marsabit, Kenya. https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...rys-rest-camp/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

I am 'planning'1 a similar trip in the new the year (mid to end Jan 2021) up to Rwanda from SA-Nam-Zambia-Malawi-Tanzania-Rwanda. Posting here to keep up to date with how your trip goes. As it looks at the moment, any extensive overlanding where you visit multiple countries and not just SA neighbours are going to be an issue for the next 6 months to a year. Especially crossing land borders. Flights seem to be opening up a bit.

1plan for the worst, hope for the best

One of my contacts in Ethiopia is going to ask around as to when the border might reopen, and will get back to me in a few days.

You could also try phoning Henry in Marsabit, Kenya. https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings...rys-rest-camp/
    My contact in Addis says that he has been informed that the border is open. I have not received any official clarification on this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thank you for following up with your contact in Addis, Wazungu Wawili!

I also just found these articles. Both suggesting that Ethiopia openend most of it land borders beginning of october.

https://www.journalducameroun.com/en...ing-countries/

https://borkena.com/2020/09/21/ethio...ing-countries/

Quote Originally Posted by alspal View Post
    Thank you for following up with your contact in Addis, Wazungu Wawili!

I also just found these articles. Both suggesting that Ethiopia openend most of it land borders beginning of october.

https://www.journalducameroun.com/en...ing-countries/

https://borkena.com/2020/09/21/ethio...ing-countries/
    My contact in Addis says you will need to book in advance for the Covid test for onward travel to Kenya. He also said that the testing centre would “probably expect a plane ticket”. That is, proof of onward travel to Kenya and they would, of course, presume that this would involve a flight to Nairobi...

Time will be tight from receiving a negative PCR test result and certificate to get from Addis to Moyale within 96 hours of the test being done.

Good luck!

I see from another thread on this forum that alspal successfully got his vehicle shipped into either the Horn of Africa or East Africa. I do hope that he will be a “giver” and not just a “taker” and will write a trip report/let the forum know how he is getting on.

Safari njema, alspal.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/12/01 at 01:55 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Duplicate post. Ooops!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2020/12/01 at 01:56 AM.

So we had our vehicle shipped to Djibouti and cleared all without any major problems. Our agent there obviously did not lift a finger until we arrived in person, so it took longer...but that was to be expected.

Corona test (Spit test) was done at the airport and we had to wait for the result for ~3hours in the airport lounge. After that we got our single entry visa at the airport directly, think for 50$.

Car was imported on a cdp, that was „Incorrectly“ stamped at Djibouti customs (located about 40min inland at new massive chinese looking container yard/terminal)

Border Djibouti/Ethiopia:
    Due to current covid situation only one border (Ali Sabieh) was open. We went to the traffic authority in Djibouti and informed ourselves, which border is open and which documents we require. For the Djibouti border they required a special release letter to enable the border officials to stamp us out. For this letter to be drafted they needed all our documents (cdp, comesa, passport, driver’s license, corona test from back home, Ethiopian visa, Djibouti invitation letter, car papers). We had to speak to the big boss of transport authority with translator and all. In the end (2days later) got the letter.

In Djibouti we went to the Ethiopian embassy and asked if we can use our online evisa to cross the land border. They said „no problem“....in the end big problem for us. There is alot of conflicting information online whether you can use the Ethiopian evisa at the land border....long story short you can not!! (The Ethiopian embassy in Pretoria told us that the evisa is valid for land borders!!)

Arriving at the Djibouti border, the border officials shouted at us that the border is closed and that we have to turn back!! Quite tense and aggressive. When i wipped out „the“ letter with all its official stamps and signatures they immediately calmed down and looked confused at one another. I dont think another civilian vehicle has crossed there since the beginning of covid.
    So Djibouti was going to stamp us out, once stamped out we can not get back in without buying a new visa for Djibouti. They werent sure whether Ethiopia was gone let us in.... so they let us through without stamping us out to go check at the Ethiopian side. (With the Ethiopian entry stamp they agreed to stamp us out)
    At the Ethiopian side, same story. Go back, border closed! What evisa? No evisa at border. Come back tomorrow. Camped at the border and next day when „the boss“ arrived we very luckily persuaded him to let us through on the evisa. He had to phone into Addis to verify our evisas, if it was over a weekend it probably would not have worked. Once stamped in we easily got the tip and made our way into civil war tense Ethiopia.

Entering into Ethiopia turned out to be waaay easier them exiting it. Will write about that at later stage.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alspal For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the feedback, most interesting! You certainly are braver than many in tackling the Horn of Africa and Ethiopia in these Covid and civil war times. I have no doubt you will be richly rewarded but will need a smidgeon of good fortune and good people management, which you are already demonstrating.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Thank you, alspal, for posting (after a little push on your other thread!). I look forward to hearing more about your travels during a pandemic.

By the way, it’s not “Sir”!

So we finally and unfortunately (have to return to work now) made it to South Africa and just in time before the SA and Swaziland borders closed! 2months, 12000km, 1 speed fine, 1 puncture, 8 corona tests, 0 bribes later. First of all I want to thank all the support and technical help i got over this forum, especially while I was playing bush mechanic in Tsavo west! We crossed the SA border just after new year’s right about the time the mess at the Lebombo border started, we luckily diverted through Swaziland and did not have to wait at all. I must say, looking back now, we did have a lot of luck with border crossings. We were in Malawi when they closed all land borders from outside entry (which is currently still closed), if we were still on the Tanzanian side we would have had to take another route to SA.

I want to share our experiences travelling through Ethiopia. The rest of the countries I think is much better documented on here, and south of Ethiopia the cultural divide wasn’t as great. When we crossed the border from Ethiopia into Kenya (Lake Turkana, western lake side) I immediately felt things look like back home. I don’t know why, landscape, people, communication, roads...everything looked and felt more familiar than in Ethiopia. While planning the trip I anticipated Djibouti but more Ethiopia was going to be the most challenging country to get through on our journey south. I therefore focused on these two countries especially with respect to border crossings. One of the most important lessons i learned on this trip was that you cannot always go on what is stated on the countries official websites (or even information given by embassies) with regard to documentation required at border crossings, or status of the land border (open/closed). We made that mistake crossing from Djibouti into Ethiopia. I telephoned with the Djibouti embassy in Switzerland and Cape town and was told both times that E-visas are excepted at the land borders....they are not!! Luckily the Ethiopian official agreed to make an exception and helped us get across. It could just as easily have gone the other way. The best and most up to date information i always found on the Overland Facebook group. Travellers were quick to reply and information was up to date. For Djibouti i could not find anything post Corona outbreak. I therefore had to do alot of on leg work in Djibouti trying to gather information and find out which borders are open to the public and what documentation is required.

Once in Ethiopia, we had to alter our route due to the conflict in the North West, which at the time of our trip was just starting. We initially wanted to head to the Donegal depression but decided to go east to Harar instead. The highway leading out of Djibouti (Ali Sabieh) all the way to Dire Dawe is brand-new asphalt built by the Chinese and weren’t very busy. There were about 3 or 4 toll gates (all in Chinese) along the way other than that an very enjoyable ride. The town of Harar is something quite special, rich with culture and something different form the other town we visited in Ethiopia. Definitely worth a visit if you are planning a trip through Ethiopia. Because of the Corona test required by most countries to exit/enter the border, our route planning through a country usually started with when and where we wanted to have the test done. I can write a post just on our experiences with corona testing along the way!!
    For Ethiopia we required a lot of paperwork from Addis together with the corona test. Luckily I found someone on the fb overland group that recently crossed out of Ethiopia to Kenya (Moyale border). They were one of the first to start their journey post corona after leaving their car in Ethiopia for numerous months. On their first attempt they did not have all the documentation when they arrived at Moyale border so they drove back to Addis!! I got in contact with them and got a list of all documents required heading into Addis.
    The road from Harar to Addis was very mountainous, a lot of traffic and generally bad quality but the landscapes incredible. Arriving in Addis we immediately saw that the list of documents we need is probably going to take a couple of days longer to get than previously anticipated. The traffic in Addis is just next level. The traffic at times were so bad that we basically could only do one task per day. Going from one side of the city to the other basically took half a day. I think in total we spent 4 nights in Addis just for the paperwork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outside Harar.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	787.5 KB 
ID:	602284

Name:	Harar.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	602285

Name:	crowd.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	602289

With all the documents in hand we headed direction Omerate border, we wanted to do the Lake Turkana route (initially East route). On the first night we had a super nice stay over in Dorze. The next day we aimed for Turmi but was stopped just outside Konso by a police road block. Driving through Ethiopia was a strenuous task. I don’t know if it was because of the war in the north or always been like that, but they had police road blocks every 10-40km. They pick out cars and thoroughly search them, the green defender was hot on the search list throughout our entire Ethiopia crossing. Now our vehicle was fully loaded, most of the items were stored in ammo boxes plus we had a roof tent (which Ethiopians have clearly never seen before). So every road block same story, what’s on the roof?...open up. Whats in the back?.. open up!. This process takes up alot of valuable daylight time. Driving in Ethiopia at night is a clear no go. Asphalt streets are made for cattle not cars...it often felt like. Cattle don’t get out the road and the locals don’t make an effort to get them out the road. So with all the road blocks, cattle and not driving at night we were glad to do 400km a day!
    After the first day i took a photo of the opened roof tent to show the police official what’s inside without having to open everything up every half hour. That often helped, plus the excuse that we were just stopped by his colleague and we have to get somewhere before dark. Eventually I got so fed-up, when the officer said stop i just waved him down and pointed at my watch that i have to get somewhere.
    Anyway the police post outside of Konso did not want any of that! Here again I tried my, I don’t have time I have to get somewhere trick. Driving past i saw on the guys face that this was not going to happen. The police officer jerked up his AK and aimed it at me. I of coarse immediately stopped. A lot of officers then jumped on the car opened the tent, jerked me out and started searching the back....and no one obviously could speak any English. It got very tense, very quickly. Luckily after not finding any ground-to-air missiles, where the roof tent is, or any explosives in the back, they were ready to communicate by hand signals. A taxi driver eventually came to the rescue that could speak some English. Turns out there were some gun fighting in Konso and the route was currently blocked off. But no problem sir, there is another route over the mountain!...i was told. I hindsight, if I have to do it again i would probably take my chances with fighting in Konso then drive that road over the mountain again!
    The diversion meant that we had to drive at night and that we were going to be one day late at the border (corona test validity). The road over the mountain took us to Jinka (from Chamosee through Kemba), we were at most times the only car on the pass. Brutal pass with altitudes varying between 2000-3800m and outside temperature at 30+ degrees, meant that the Landy with the aged radiator wasn’t having a good time! The landscape up there was simply incredible and one which stands out to me from our trip down south. The small mountain towns we crossed on the way, where we got some diesel from some local selling from drums in his garage, i had the feeling they'd never seen a foreigner before. In no time half the town surrounded the car and just stood there staring at us. Up and down we went, the road was mostly asphalt up to the last short cut over the koppie standing between us and Jinka. Those super quick dirt road “short cuts” from google you should avoid at all times driving through Africa! No preplanned route or reliable information to fall back on we started the mountain pass which very quickly turned from asphalt to just rocky gravel in the dark. 2nd gear diff-lock low range at times, we crawled up and over the mountain. Took us close to 2hours for what google said would be 30min. The next day, Jinka to Omerate, flat open asphalt road this was going to be easy!

Name:	Dorze camping.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	737.3 KB 
ID:	602300

Name:	Dorze.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	602287

Name:	mountains Turmi.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	784.7 KB 
ID:	602288

We got up earlyish and reached Omerate shortly after lunch. I remember on the way thinking that Ethiopia was actually not soooo bad compared to what i read online in preparation for the trip. We reached the border post, no other vehicles in sight or looked like have been there for a while. Immigration and Custom official come to us, we didn’t even have time to go to their office. And then the Ethiopian border intimidation started! Border is closed! Go back to Addis! I don’t know what is with border official, they always want to send you somewhere to go speak to some other official, just so that they don’t have to deal with it. I started wiping out paperwork with fancy stamps on then, this helped for a short while. We had our TIP, corona test, EVisa, customs paper for the vehicle drafted in Addis stating that we are allowed to exit Ethiopia at Omerate. This was all nice and well but the customs document was not stamped by immigration in Addis allowing us to leave with it (our mistake, here again we were convinced by custom officials that we have all necessary documents required to cross the border). So they said the car can go, but we can’t, we have to go back to Addis!! This is now friday later afternoon. The central town of Konso is blocked due to fighting and the mountain pass we came over, i swore i would never drive in my life again!! Go back to Addis! It took us 3 days hectic driving to get to Omerate, and they wanted us to go back? To get the document stamped and get back to the border will take at least 1 week, and that is if all went extremely fast in Addis! Time in African has no value. Officials have no problem to make you sit around for hours or days. No matter how many times I tried to explain to this official that it is impossible, given the current situation in Konso, he just didn’t want to help us find a solution. That was the only time during our trip that I felt powerless. After the third day at the border, cash was running out and no atm, food is low, and we had no real solution insight, the mood hit rock bottom. Luckily we had a glimmer of hope! On the Friday afternoon we managed to get in touch with the South African embassy in Ethiopia…it was a long shot. The SA official was very helpful, but said that he can at earliest discuss our situation with the ambassador on Monday. So we had to wait. Saturday, Sunday, Monday nothing. Tuesday morning shortly before lunch the SA embassy emailed us a letter drafted by them and stamped by immigration in Addis!!! At Omerate immigration they fine combed that letter and even telephoned their colleagues in Addis to query its authenticity! Eventually we were cleared and free to cross into Kenya! Our, by-now-outdated Corona test, no one luckily asked for again.

Crossing into Kenya was like a breath of fresh air. The moment we crossed the invisible border Ethiopia/Kenya I felt at home. Kenya was great, we really enjoyed it… the people, national parks, beach. Things made sense again. All countries down from here was more or less Africa… the way I imagined/know it. Ethiopia is culturally very different and definitely worth a visit. I just want to say prepare yourself for it, but then again nothing can really prepare you for might come your way in Ethiopia 😉
    Last edited by alspal; 2021/01/14 at 09:30 PM.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alspal For This Useful Post:

Asante sana, alspal.

Ethiopia, at the best of times, is “not for sissies”! One of the reasons I recommended you shipped your vehicle to Mombasa. But you wouldn’t have all those stories of travelling the Horn of Africa during a pandemic to dine out on for the rest of your life.

I would be very grateful if you could continue your excellent report and let me know where you went and what you did in Kenya (and all the other countries if possible).

Great to hear your stories! Not the easiest time to travel for sure, well done for persevering. And very nice to have adventures to read while we are stuck not traveling for a bit.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast