Condition of N3 from JHB to Villiers and the R26 from Villiers To Clarens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Condition of N3 from JHB to Villiers and the R26 from Villiers To Clarens

Anyone leaving early for the weekend or driven recently, please share some info on the conditions of the listed roads.

Thanks

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Default Re: Condition of N3 from JHB to Villiers and the R26 from Villiers To Clarens

Drove the N3 a few weeks ago, itís fine, other than a gazillion trucks. No idea on the Clarens road.
    Out and about, never get locked down again, never refuse an invitation to go somewhere.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Condition of N3 from JHB to Villiers and the R26 from Villiers To Clarens

N3 should be fine, I get off at Villiers, and there's loads of roadworks from there going to Durban, but not sure about the portion you'll be driving. Did the R26 about a year ago and it was fine. Potholes and morons, just like every other rural road, so slow down and be vigilant. I would not do the R26 at night, due to game.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    N3 should be fine, I get off at Villiers, and there's loads of roadworks from there going to Durban, but not sure about the portion you'll be driving. Did the R26 about a year ago and it was fine. Potholes and morons, just like every other rural road, so slow down and be vigilant. I would not do the R26 at night, due to game.
    Thanks Peter, also did it a year back and the potholes were there.

Just wondered if they might have made babies..

Villiers to Frankfort is fine but Frankfort- Tweeling is riddled with potholes. Well it was last year. I will be surprised if it is fixed, only thing that will help is a complete rebuild not just filling the craters.

We now go N 3 to Warden when going to Paul Roux or Bethlehem. Very nice quiet road up to Bethlehem and more relaxing. Just got fed up with dodging potholes and people driving on the wrong side of the road on the Frankfort - Tweeling stretch.

As mentioned there are roadworks on the N3 but it is only after Villiers IIRC.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/09/23 at 07:38 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Villiers to Frankfort is fine but Frankfort- Tweeling is riddled with potholes. Well it was last year. I will be surprised if it is fixed, only thing that will help is a complete rebuild not just filling the craters.

We now go N 3 to Warden when going to Paul Roux or Bethlehem. Very nice quiet road up to Bethlehem and more relaxing. Just got fed up with dodging potholes and people driving on the wrong side of the road on the Frankfort - Tweeling stretch.

As mentioned there are roadworks on the N3 but it is only after Villiers IIRC.
    Unless I had a reason to do the R26 I honestly just do N3/N5. I do the N3 from Villiers to Ladysmith every week, and while there is road works, it hasn't added much to the trip. The N5 from Harrismith to Bethlehem used to be shocking, but they completed the roadworks in 2015 and it's one of the nicest roads I've driven in a while.
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

9. The Following User Says Thank You to petermoffat For This Useful Post:

Definitely N3 to warden then on to Bethlehem, we did the other route in March and it was terrible.
    Toyota
    2019 Toyota 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Raider DC Auto

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Iggi For This Useful Post:

Just in case you missed the good advice above, do Warden -> Bethlehem. (IIRC it is an approx 30 Km detour, well worth it in my opinion and I travel quite regularly to OA)

Also - I believe the barista is back on duty at Thanda Tau (The SASOL next to the N3, approx 210km from Centurion)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/09/23 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Just in case you missed the good advice above, do Warden -> Bethlehem. (IIRC it is an approx 30 Km detour, well worth it in my opinion and I travel quite regularly to OA)

Also - I believe the barista is back on duty at Thanda Tau (The SASOL next to the N3, approx 210km from Centurion)
    Thanks Pieter - Re: Thanda Tau - Absolutely critical info. Thanks!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    ... The N5 from Harrismith to Bethlehem used to be shocking, but they completed the roadworks in 2015 and it's one of the nicest roads I've driven in a while.
    Good to know thanks. I have not been on the Bethlehem Harrismith road since 1996.

For me it works getting off at Warden, it feels like a detour going to Harrismith plus it means getting away from the N3 earlier.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Good to know thanks. I have not been on the Bethlehem Harrismith road since 1996.

For me it works getting off at Warden, it feels like a detour going to Harrismith plus it means getting away from the N3 earlier.
    I find the N3 really tedious. (and then they have this 80km/h restrictions - that seem like it is for most of the length of the route)
    Probably the most tedious road in SA for me.
    None of the Northern Cape roads are as boring and frustrating as this road, and they are long, straight and widely vista-ed
    If I could, I would miss the N3 in total.

With a platkar I avoid the R26. The R714 from Warden to Betlehem is heaven on earth compared to the R26.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

We normally take the N1 then go Heilbron, Petrus Steyn, Reitz, Bethlem, Clarens.
    Willie Knoetze

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

We now go N 3 to Warden when going to Paul Roux or Bethlehem. Very nice quiet road up to Bethlehem and more relaxing.
    Our preferred route to Clarens.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Did the N3 Rtb to South Coast about a month ago. Road works start at Villiers with regular intervals to PMB. Traffic was flowing even if slow
    Jean Joubert
    Triton 3.2 Auto
    Pajero 3.2 (SWAMBO)
    Allutop +
    Bushlapa Vlooi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JVJoubert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Anyone leaving early for the weekend or driven recently, please share some info on the conditions of the listed roads.

Thanks

Hi. I drove Durban to Jhb and back in a day twice last month. There are roadworks between Jhb and Harrismith but no show stoppers. Traffic was flowing constantly on both days. The odd slow down if you got stuck behind a truck. Roads generally in good condition and easy to drive.
    2020 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 GLX Manual,
    Tyres: General Grabber AT3 215/75 R15
    Escape Gear: Seat Covers and Floor Mats
    Front Runner: roof rack, ladder, Jerry cans
    Des-Sol: Radial Cup Protectors

Just did the N3 - Villiers - Warden - Bethlehem route again today, picked up a car in Sandton, my wife joined me, we went with a platkar.

Really the best option, GP to Clarens, by far.

Another alternative is Sasol - Heilbron - Reitz - Bethlehem but there are gravel bits with LOTS of trucks, so I wouldnt.

Whatever you do - do NOT travel via Villiers - Frankfort - Tweeling - Reitz, BAD gravel road now, they're trying to fix that road with whatever is left after everyone lined their pockets first.

PLEASE just take care at that 4 way stop on the Warden - Bethlehem road, a VERY dangerous place.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    We normally take the N1 then go Heilbron, Petrus Steyn, Reitz, Bethlem, Clarens.

I came back on this route and the roads were very good. But busy.
    We had one place with quite a long detour just before Sasolburg. Other than that it was a very well maintained route.

When going to Clarence we took the R26 from Villiers to Bethlehem - it was a very bad mistake.. 70km of corrugated detours, with rubber speed humps everywhere

How was Meiringskloof and Rebellie?
    Willie Knoetze

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I find the N3 really tedious. (and then they have this 80km/h restrictions - that seem like it is for most of the length of the route)
    Probably the most tedious road in SA for me.
    None of the Northern Cape roads are as boring and frustrating as this road, and they are long, straight and widely vista-ed
    If I could, I would miss the N3 in total.
    You need to get The N3 Book by Peter Delmar. It uses those Blue Markers at the side of the highway and relates the history of the whole route North - South and South - North. Very interesting info. Each entry in the book has a marker number designated to it. Ideal for passengers to look for the markers and then one to read the history, such as the ruins on the left or those grave stones near warden on the left etc.

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/4493...to_Durban.html
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast